PDA

View Full Version : Wifi even if squeezebox is off ?

FlorianD
2007-03-23, 10:15
Hi,

I've got a wonderful "all black" squeezebox v3. She works perfectly (wireless). However I noticed that she exchanges frames with the wifi router even when she is off (POWER button) and when the brightness is off (it means, when the clock is invisible).

Is is possible to stop that ? Is there a configuration option I missed ?

Thanks in advance for any answer !

adhawkins
2007-03-23, 10:25
Hi,

In article <FlorianD.2nwrvb1174670401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
FlorianD<FlorianD.2nwrvb1174670401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I've got a wonderful "all black" squeezebox v3. She works perfectly
> (wireless). However I noticed that she exchanges frames with the wifi
> router even when she is off (POWER button) and when the brightness is
> off (it means, when the clock is invisible).
>
> Is is possible to stop that ? Is there a configuration option I missed
> ?

I wouldn't have thought so. It can be turned on via the web interface for
example. Remember, the Squeezebox is a very 'slim' device, it does next to
nothing on its own processor.

Andy

peterw
2007-03-23, 10:27
"Off" is just a special mode of the Squeezebox, in which most buttons are ignored and your "off" screensaver(s) are displayed. The player is still connected to a server. This is how you're able to set an alarm for the Squeezebox, turn the Squeezebox "on" via the web interface, and how your Squeezebox can still act as a wireless bridge for any device connected to its Ethernet port, etc.

The power usage when "off" and dark is low -- about 4 watts vs about 6 watts when playing music and showing a visualizer effect. But if you really want to shut the SB down, you'll need to unplug it.

-Peter

SuperQ
2007-03-23, 11:17
Hi,

I've got a wonderful "all black" squeezebox v3. She works perfectly (wireless). However I noticed that she exchanges frames with the wifi router even when she is off (POWER button) and when the brightness is off (it means, when the clock is invisible).

Is is possible to stop that ? Is there a configuration option I missed ?

Thanks in advance for any answer !

No, the squeezebox is always on. However, the default clock displays seconds, which of course requires a packet every second.

If you goto the the server settings page, under formatting and change the Time Format to HH:MM instead of HH:MM:SS, it should reduce the number of packets going across.

Also, I don't think you could really consider a small plastic box a "she" rather than an "it". :)

FlorianD
2007-03-23, 13:11
No, the squeezebox is always on. However, the default clock displays seconds, which of course requires a packet every second.

If you goto the the server settings page, under formatting and change the Time Format to HH:MM instead of HH:MM:SS, it should reduce the number of packets going across.

Thank you all for your answers. I changed the Time Format to HH:MM, but there is a packet per second, whatever I set. Moreover, with no light at all on the screen, the SB should'nt check the time in my humble opinion. That's not very important, anyway. I just try to be careful with power usage.

Also, I don't think you could really consider a small plastic box a "she" rather than an "it". :)

I wrote it deliberately ;-) I already have two girls at home, so I call everyone and everything "she"... Poor man ;-) !

peterw
2007-03-23, 13:50
Thank you all for your answers. I changed the Time Format to HH:MM, but there is a packet per second, whatever I set. Moreover, with no light at all on the screen, the SB should'nt check the time in my humble opinion. That's not very important, anyway. I just try to be careful with power usage.

Power usage is low. See this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31789

There's an API used by Slimserver plugins, including the screensavers, to tell Slimserver how often to update the display. Plugins that *can* display time to the second usually have this update interval set at 0.5 to 1.0 seconds to better ensure smooth transitions between different HH:MM:SS values. Even if you're displaying HH:MM, it's easier to use a 0.5 to 1.0 second update interval than to calculate the next time the display should change and try to change at just the right time.

If you really want to save the tiny amount of power used for the updates (most wireless gear has transmission power measured in milliwatts), your best bet might be choosing the "none" screensaver for off mode, or something like TimeSpeller that has a more relaxed update interval (about 10 seconds, I think), *or* grab a plugin like my BlankSaver and change the line of code that sets the update interval to something of your liking.

SuperQ
2007-03-23, 17:18
Power usage is low. See this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31789

If you really want to save the tiny amount of power used for the updates (most wireless gear has transmission power measured in milliwatts), your best bet might be choosing the "none" screensaver for off mode, or something like TimeSpeller that has a more relaxed update interval (about 10 seconds, I think), *or* grab a plugin like my BlankSaver and change the line of code that sets the update interval to something of your liking.

Ahh.. yes, I didn't think about that. Using the None screensaver would be a good way to stop the updates.