PDA

View Full Version : Wireless to stereo speakers

frjame
2007-03-23, 08:18
Does the Squeeezebox have to be connected to your stereo receiver, or will it "broadcast" through the radio?

azinck3
2007-03-23, 08:25
Does the Squeeezebox have to be connected to your stereo receiver, or will it "broadcast" through the radio?

Yes, it must be connected to your stereo receiver.

NauticusLX
2007-03-25, 22:21
No, the SqueezeBox does NOT need to be connected, with a wire, to speakers. Plug in a wireless FM transmitter to the audio out jack, and voila.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-26, 05:59
No, the SqueezeBox does NOT need to be connected, with a wire, to speakers. Plug in a wireless FM transmitter to the audio out jack, and viola.

But you could do this to any audio device, and the sound quality usually suffers.

NauticusLX
2007-03-26, 10:01
A wireless connection is almost always better, logistically, than a wired one, even if the sound quality is compromised - the extent to which is always subjective, especially for talk shows, which are still better than AM under almost all circumstances. The point is, a wireless hookup is possible, and desireable, for the individual who asked, so let's not mislead. In fact, this is how I usually listen to the SqueezeBox, since my radio alarm clock is, ironically, more "audible" than my book shelf speakers, and a boombox I listen to a lot is in another room.

Sound quality becomes a philosophical issue. What you hear is all in the head. Especially for tunes we're already familiar with, we "recognize" a song, rather than hear it - we play back the song already in our head, with the song playing on the radio serving no purpose but to remind us of the parts we forget. In other words, the song we "hear" is the "ideal version" that's already in our brain, which is the one we actually "hear", in which case the sound quality, as might be determined by lab instruments, becomes irrelevent. The mental process is completely different when listening to a new piece of music, more exciting, or intriguing, which is why the variety of music provided by internet radio is so wonderful, even addictive.

Robin Bowes
2007-03-26, 10:37
NauticusLX wrote:
> A wireless connection is almost always better, logistically, than a
> wired one, even if the sound quality is compromised - the extent to
> which is always subjective. The point is, a wireless hookup is
> possible, and desireable, for the individual who asked, so let's not
> mislead.

Who said anything about wired or wireless?

The question was "Does the Squeeezebox have to be connected to your
stereo receiver, or will it "broadcast" through the radio?"

The answer is, it must be connected to your stereo, whether that's a
wireless or wired connection.

So, let's not mislead.

R.