PDA

View Full Version : continue play following directory structure

moroswitie
2007-03-22, 15:16
I recently bought a squeezebox and I must say i love it.
There is only one major issue that I'm having.

I got this huge collection of mp3s. When I browse to a music file and start playback. the squeezebox will play all the files currently in that folder. (lets take a michael jackson album for example) After that Michael jackson album comes a prince album.

What I want is the squeezebox to automatically start playing the next available track in the three. so it should start with the prince album track one.

Currently it stops or restarts the current album it is playing (depening on the repeat status)

Creating a playlist to do this is not an option, with a collection of almost 400GB This would result into a large playlist in which I can't use the search function.

seanadams
2007-03-22, 16:14
This is by design - pressing "play" plays just the thing selected.

To play more things you would hit play on the first one, then down, then add, etc. If you are talking about whole artists then it should only take a few seconds to queue up many hours of music.

moroswitie
2007-03-22, 17:24
Isn't it possible to change this behavior with a plugin.

mherger
2007-03-23, 00:12
> Isn't it possible to change this behavior with a plugin.

Almost anything is possible using plugins. But you'd probably have to
write it yourself...

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

moroswitie
2007-03-23, 03:29
is there a place where I can learn or read how to create a plugin. I only got programming experience with php, (and some good old batch files) But I really want to give it a try, because I really miss it

ceejay
2007-03-23, 03:41
Try http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DeveloperGuide

Also have a look at some of the existing plugins which create playlists (which is what I think you need to do).

HTH
Ceejay

LovelyFLAC
2007-06-16, 19:26
This is by design - pressing "play" plays just the thing selected.

To play more things you would hit play on the first one, then down, then add, etc. If you are talking about whole artists then it should only take a few seconds to queue up many hours of music.

I was a little disappointed feature set here surrounding "continued" playing of my music collection. Like a lot of folks out there, I am lazy and don't care to actually create a playlist. I was expecting a little different setting in the slimserver web config.

Currently there is a section called "PLAY OTHER SONGS IN ALBUM" under the behavior section of server settings. You can choose basically to toggle on/off playing more than one song when one song is selected.

The current choices are: "Play other songs in album or directory" and "Play only selected song"

It would be cool if you could have a couple other options there including one that would say, "Continue playing other songs in album or directory 1X" (to only play 1 time instead of infinite repeat which is current behavior), and "Continue playing other songs outside of current album or directory".

The latter would be especially cool becuase it would be more intuitive to a lot of us old fashioned folks who have grown up with 50-disc CD changers where there is often a setting like: Disc-Continue,Disc-Repeat,etc. IE you can just tell it to play all your albums.

Does anyone know how to suggest such a small feature to the otherwise A++ slimdevice software dev team?

ceejay
2007-06-16, 23:32
Does anyone know how to suggest such a small feature to the otherwise A++ slimdevice software dev team?

The official method is to go to bugzilla at http://bugs.slimdevices.com/ and submit an enhancement request. Include as much detail as you can about how you'd like it to work. But be aware that some such requests sit there for a long time! Your best bet of getting something done quickly is to write a plugin, or to persuade someone else that this is what they've always wanted so they write it for you...

HTH
Ceejay

erland
2007-06-17, 00:07
It would be cool if you could have a couple other options there including one that would say, "Continue playing other songs in album or directory 1X" (to only play 1 time instead of infinite repeat which is current behavior), and "Continue playing other songs outside of current album or directory".

The latter would be especially cool becuase it would be more intuitive to a lot of us old fashioned folks who have grown up with 50-disc CD changers where there is often a setting like: Disc-Continue,Disc-Repeat,etc. IE you can just tell it to play all your albums.

I have a feeling there might be solutions out there that will work for you, but at the moment I'm not sure I understand how you select what to listen to.

For example:
- When you wan't it to play another album after finishing the first one, is it important which album it plays or could it be totally random ?
- Do you just wan't it to play albums in alphabetic order by album title ?
- Do you want the albums to be played by artist playing all albums for each artist before skipping to next artist ?
- Is it really important that it plays the music in the same order as your folders ? In that case could you give us some information about how you have ordered your folders ?
- Is it important that you manually select the first album, but after this you don't really care which album it plays as long as it is a new one ?
- Do you just want to browse to a new album and select to play it after it has finished playing the current one ? In that case the add button on the remote or the + button in the web interface will do it.

Some information about some plugins available today for this kind of things:

Random Mix plugin (delivered with SlimServer):
- Has an option to play random albums, it will select a random album and play all tracks on it, when finished it will play a new random album.

Dynamic Playlist/SQLPlayList plugins (must be installed manually):
- Has an option to play random albums but doesn't repeat an album already played. So it will play through the whole collection, album by album in random order.
- If you like to play albums in any other order than random, that's also possible if you know some SQL. For example playing your whole library in folder order.

LovelyFLAC
2007-06-17, 12:55
That's a good question. I really had to think about how I choose what music to listen to.

I think what happens is sometimes I want to listen to more than one album from the same artist sequentially. This might be a good time to mention that I use the file method of listening to and organizing my music almost exclusively. This is becuase I just have too many mp3's with trash ID3 tags to let that dictate how I search/browse. Anyway, What I have is all my albums in the <<Artist>> - <<Album Name>> format in my file directory structure.

A typical situation would be: I start listening to a song a like on an album, but then walk away. Presently the album repeats, which is ok, except it would be better if it would go on to the next album. For instance, when the last song is finished playing in the album/file folder "Radiohead - Amnesiac" it would be cool to continue the next album that I own: "Radiohead - Hail to the Thief".

Thanks,
-Keith

LovelyFLAC
2007-06-17, 14:31
Dynamic Playlist/SQLPlayList plugins (must be installed manually):
- Has an option to play random albums but doesn't repeat an album already played. So it will play through the whole collection, album by album in random order.
- If you like to play albums in any other order than random, that's also possible if you know some SQL. For example playing your whole library in folder order.

Erland, Thanks, I'll definitly check out your plugin. I've been known to write some SQL statements... -Keith

moroswitie
2007-06-20, 13:20
Most people I know,
that have large collections, also have the problem of messedup ID3 tags, So they sort by folder name.

I used to select a folder in winamp, that will include all my mp3's. Whenever I select a song, It will start playback from there and traverse the directory structure, It's really basic playback.

Winamp's default playback is this way
Most car radio's with mp3 support play that way.
example image of playback attached

(pictures speak louder then words)
(for a larger file see: http://www.moroclique.nl/images/mp3-dir-structure.jpg)

I will submit a feature enhancement