PDA

View Full Version : loosing signal on SB 3

robinm
2007-03-22, 07:26
I'm loosing the connection to my SB's and getting breakup on the sounds. I want to get a better signal from my SB's and not get any breakup. Any ideas?

My situation: I have 2 squeezebox's on the ground floor, wifi through the house, a PC on 1st floor with wifi (only sometimes on) and my own PC in the loft that is permanently on and directly connected to the wifi router. This PC runs the slimserver.

I tried moving the router about but it only seems to offer a few percent improvements ie 40 - 50 percent signal. I seem to remember I was getting 70 percent.

I tried expanding the buffer to 30 seconds but it just takes an age to start, plays for 30 seconds and then starts stuttering.

I could move the router to the center of the house but then the server would be using the wifi rather than talk over a wire. Not sure if this would help.

Mike

Extra info:
Music is all MP3
wifi router is Netgear DG384G
2* Squeezebox 3
Slimserver 6.5

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-22, 07:32
See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

You've already tried router repositioning with limited success, but try doing a wireless survey and changing channels.

You may also want to look into high-gain antennas.

peter
2007-03-22, 07:52
robinm wrote:
> I'm loosing the connection to my SB's and getting breakup on the sounds.
> I want to get a better signal from my SB's and not get any breakup. Any
> ideas?
>
> My situation: I have 2 squeezebox's on the ground floor, wifi through
> the house, a PC on 1st floor with wifi (only sometimes on) and my own
> PC in the loft that is permanently on and directly connected to the
> wifi router. This PC runs the slimserver.
>
> I tried moving the router about but it only seems to offer a few
> percent improvements ie 40 - 50 percent signal. I seem to remember I
> was getting 70 percent.
>
> I tried expanding the buffer to 30 seconds but it just takes an age to
> start, plays for 30 seconds and then starts stuttering.
>
> I could move the router to the center of the house but then the server
> would be using the wifi rather than talk over a wire. Not sure if this
> would help.
>

In a slightly similar situation I put an extra Wireless Access point on
the 2nd floor, I had an Apple Airport Express lying around. My house is
about half wired so it was fairly easy to connect that to the router.
Others have had success with powerline networking.

Regards,
Peter

robinm
2007-03-23, 10:12
Thanks for your help.

I tried moving the wifi router around but it didn't seem to help.

I then tried changing the channel to a non standard setting (not 6). It now works fine throughout the house.

I suspect if I change the wifi mode to just g (100mb) rather than the current g&b (100-10mb) then things would improve further but I suspect my son would complain as he has an old wifi card.

Thanks

Mike

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-23, 10:56
I then tried changing the channel to a non standard setting (not 6). It now works fine throughout the house.

Good to hear!

I suspect if I change the wifi mode to just g (100mb) rather than the current g&b (100-10mb) then things would improve further but I suspect my son would complain as he has an old wifi card.

This has an impact on networking speed but not necessarily strength. An AP operating in mixed mode will be much slower than standard g but not as slow as b as urban legend will have you believe.

You would see this speed drop when transferring files between computers, but not with the Squeezebox. Its bandwidth demands can often be met by 802.11b speeds - a fair amount of people have 1411 kbps WAV files working with the old 802.11b Squeezebox 1. FLACs and MP3s will be smaller than this.