PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver on webserver

madsk
2007-03-21, 12:15
Hi

I would like to use my webserver for storage of my music files, terefore I need a way to connect, my squezzebox to the music files,is there a way to make that happen?
Is it possible to run Slimserver on webserver?
Regards Mads.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-21, 12:24
I assume your webserver is offsite.

You would have to have complete access to the webserver and be able to install programs that consume memory and CPU.

Beyond that, it would consume a fairly big chunk of bandwidth (FLACs are about 1 Mbps). Do you have a fast enough connection, and are you willing to pay for the substantial extra bandwidth?

madsk
2007-03-21, 12:33
I assume your webserver is offsite.

You would have to have complete access to the webserver and be able to install programs that consume memory and CPU.

Beyond that, it would consume a fairly big chunk of bandwidth (FLACs are about 1 Mbps). Do you have a fast enough connection, and are you willing to pay for the substantial extra bandwidth?

My bandwith is fine but iam not sure about the acces to the server where my files are stored,is it possible to acces the files a different way?

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-21, 12:50
My bandwith is fine but iam not sure about the acces to the server where my files are stored,is it possible to acces the files a different way?

You'll have to explain that a different way. I don't understand.

You asked about running SlimServer on a webserver. This would be like installing it on your own computer, you need complete access to it, telnet or shell access in this case. You need to have permission to run programs on the webserver. Most web hosts will not allow this.

madsk
2007-03-21, 13:26
You'll have to explain that a different way. I don't understand.

You asked about running SlimServer on a webserver. This would be like installing it on your own computer, you need complete access to it, telnet or shell access in this case. You need to have permission to run programs on the webserver. Most web hosts will not allow this.

Ok I wuld like to be able to listen to my music,on SB without having to turn on my own computer

JJZolx
2007-03-21, 13:44
Hi

I would like to use my webserver for storage of my music files, terefore I need a way to connect, my squezzebox to the music files,is there a way to make that happen?
Is it possible to run Slimserver on webserver?
Regards Mads.

I assume we're talking about a web server located at some type of datacenter, not one located in your home...

Do you have a dedicated (or virtual) web server?

It may be necessary in order to install SlimServer and other necessary software.

Do you have control of the firewall in front of your web server?

To open any necessary ports. Or, you might run SlimServer on the standard HTTP port 80 (in which case you'll need an IP address apart from the one used for your web site). Or, maybe you want to VPN or SSH to SlimServer.

Do you have enough storage space on the server?

If you don't own the web server, you generally pay a monthly fee for a given amount of CPU power and storage. The storage space could be expensive, even if you're only using MP3.

What is your bandwidth/payment arrangement?

This can be the chief reason why a SlimServer in a datacenter may not make sense. If you pay the ISP per megabyte of data transfered from your server then it might get very expensive. On the other hand, if you're paying a flat fee for a connection up to some number of megabits _per_second_ in speed, then running a single 256 kbps stream to work may not cost a penny extra.

azinck3
2007-03-21, 13:55
Ok I wuld like to be able to listen to my music,on SB without having to turn on my own computer

While there's technically a way to sort of do what you want if you have enough access to the web server (and the time and skills to set up a very advanced configuration), the short answer is that you can't really do what you want yet.

It's a fairly well known rumor that squeezenetwork integration with mp3tunes is on its way so that should probably provide the solution you want. But at this point we don't have any info on exactly when that will happen so you may consider subscribing to Rhapsody to tide yourself over.