PDA

View Full Version : mp3 player to go with sb3?

rov
2007-03-20, 16:25
So, now that everyone has their music ripped & stored on gigantic hard drives, what about walkin-around music? I'm about to have my small collection ripped to FLAC for the squeezebox and MP3 for my MP3 player. Oh wait, I don't have one of those yet!

Any suggestions on a good flash player? I don't want to go with a hard disk player b/c the player will get bumped around a lot (running, yardwork, etc.). I'm kinda torn between Sandisk e200 series and Samsung YP-Z5. I've read both good and bad things about their sound. The interfaces are well-regarded, and they are pretty compact. The Sandisk goes up to 8GB with an expansion slot for more, while the Samsung only goes up to 4GB. Note the deliberate lack of Ipod discussion - Just can't bring myself to go there.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-20, 16:48
I got my brother one for his birthday. Unfortunately he still runs Windows 98 (!) so that eliminates half of them.

The Sandisk players kept coming up highly recommended.

If I was buying for myself though, the iRiver players looked really good. And they support Ogg.

The Samsung players are also highly regarded, and the T6X I ended up getting him supported Ogg as well. Unfortunately after about a month it wouldn't power it up anymore. Just today I ended up exchanging it for a RCA Lyra.

adamslim
2007-03-20, 18:41
You can put FLACs on a portable player with Rockbox. It's clearly utterly stupid, as there's no way I can tell the difference when I'm on the tube, but I love it anyway! :)

Adam

rov
2007-03-20, 21:31
I got my brother one for his birthday. Unfortunately he still runs Windows 98 (!) so that eliminates half of them.

The Sandisk players kept coming up highly recommended.

If I was buying for myself though, the iRiver players looked really good. And they support Ogg.

The Samsung players are also highly regarded, and the T6X I ended up getting him supported Ogg as well. Unfortunately after about a month it wouldn't power it up anymore. Just today I ended up exchanging it for a RCA Lyra.

I really like the iRiver Clix, but it seems impossible to operate it onehanded. The nice things about the Sandisk are the removable battery and expansion slot for capacity beyond 8GB. The Samsung looks cool...

JJZolx
2007-03-20, 21:59
I really like the 2nd generation iPod Nano (4GB) that I have, although I can't say I'm terribly familiar with many other portable players.

I keep an mp3 copy of my flac library, encoded with LAME 3.97 using a quality level setting of "-V 3 --vbr-new", which is around 175+/- kbps. One thing, though, is that I avoid iTunes like the plague. I installed it briefly, just long enough to upgrade the iPod's firmware, then uninstalled it. Instead, I use YamiPod to manage tunes on the Nano.

http://www.yamipod.com

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-21, 06:21
I really like the iRiver Clix, but it seems impossible to operate it onehanded.

I was thinking more of the T10.

The nice things about the Sandisk are the removable battery and expansion slot for capacity beyond 8GB.

Yes, those are definite pluses. The positive reviews I found were on the m200 series. I didn't look into the e100 series that much.

Good write-up at http://www.consumersearch.com/www/electronics/mp3-players/index.html which "reviews the reviewers".

bert1e
2007-03-21, 11:03
I got a meizu m6 miniplayer off ebay. 50+postage it plays flac, mp3 etc. Just drag and drop your files onto it via usb no stupid sync stuff. Thats what I always hated about my ipod mini.

http://en.meizu.com/

I have had it 3 weeks so far really pleased with it.

peter
2007-03-21, 11:50
rov wrote:
> I really like the iRiver Clix, but it seems impossible to operate it
> onehanded. The nice things about the Sandisk are the removable battery
> and expansion slot for capacity beyond 8GB. The Samsung looks cool...
>

With ever larger SD cards getting cheaper and cheaper, an expansion slot
would be at the top of my list. But the way things are, I'll stick to my
iRiver H140 (40G) in the car and I'll use my new Nokia smartphone for
playing music on the go. Too many gadgets already...

Regards,
Peter