PDA

View Full Version : Audio File Formats...

EasilyConfused
2007-03-20, 10:11
Got some Cd's ...err...loads actually (as I'm sure you all have!) that were bought on the strength of the odd track or two, and surprise surprise, the rest of the album was pants! So, I'm gonna rip the decent tracks off these albums and ebay the Cd.
Okay, what's the highest quality format that is compatible with SB (file size no object..within reason) that doesn't require a degree in programming to use? Recommendations please guys.

4mula1
2007-03-20, 10:41
Flac. It's lossless, open source, and cross platform. I use dBPowerAmp to rip to flac as it's a very nice ripper/encoder, but many people use Exact Audio Copy. Both are Windows programs.

The Squeezebox can natively decode flac so there is no additional load on SlimServer transcoding.

hickinbottoms
2007-03-20, 11:02
Furthermore:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToFileFormats

Stuart

4mula1 wrote:
> Flac. It's lossless, open source, and cross platform. I use dBPowerAmp
> to rip to flac as it's a very nice ripper/encoder, but many people use
> Exact Audio Copy. Both are Windows programs.
>
> The Squeezebox can natively decode flac so there is no additional load
> on SlimServer transcoding.
>
>
>

ModelCitizen
2007-03-20, 12:36
Got some Cd's ...err...loads actually (as I'm sure you all have!) that were bought on the strength of the odd track or two, and surprise surprise, the rest of the album was pants! So, I'm gonna rip the decent tracks off these albums and ebay the Cd.
Okay, what's the highest quality format that is compatible with SB (file size no object..within reason) that doesn't require a degree in programming to use? Recommendations please guys.
Wot? No one's going to mention the copyright here?
Good, cos it's very boring indeed.
MC

Ur[s]uS
2007-03-20, 14:24

FLAC, it's lossless and plays natively on the SB3 - if you have flaky wireless connection from server to SB3 watch out for heavy bitrate and drop-outs - if you have strong WiFi or wired connection, should not be problem

See link for quickstart guide - it might look hard, but if I can manage it, I assuer you it does not require a degree in programming.

http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eac-qs-en.htm

adamslim
2007-03-20, 18:55
Wot? No one's going to mention the copyright here?
Good, cos it's very boring indeed.
MC

I was about to, as I get abstractly bothered by this kind of thing, but then the more important issue hit me: get better at buying CDs! Don't just buy it because the lead singer looked good on the video while you were out on the lash at some wine bar! If there is only one track that you vaguely like, liberate yourself by ditching the whole thing! Disable Amazon one-drunken-click ordering!

MC, the irony of my (copyright) stance is in no way lost on me ;)

Adam

EasilyConfused
2007-03-21, 08:36
..Thanks for the lecture pal.. when I want advice on buying music I'll post a thread entitled 'advice on buying music', and not 'Audio File formats'...but don't hold your breath.
So you've never bought a duffer? What a dynamic, multi-faceted, cosmopolitan, thrill-seeking risk taker you must be. So tell me, how do you get to hear every album three or four times before you buy it? I'm sure we'd all love to know.
I put hundreds of pounds of my hard-earned into the music business every year and I'm more than pleased with my little haul so far over the last 43 yrs. Sure, some of it bought on a whim - some you win, some you lose...I care not.I'ts half the fun....more fun than a day at the races with you I should imagine.

ModelCitizen
2007-03-21, 12:08
Ummm... I think Adam was joking....
MC

autopilot
2007-03-22, 03:42
Ummm... I think Adam was joking....
MC

Yeah, but then he is EasilyConfused.