PDA

View Full Version : New user - Speaker suggestions? PC question...

tdellaringa
2007-03-16, 08:14
Hi folks,

I finally got my squeezebox last night - what a treat. If only every product I bought was as clear, simple and efficient to install and get running. Awesome.

Now, 2 questions as a noob. My PC is downstairs in the family room, but we have the squeezebox up in our bedroom so we can listen to our music at night.

1) I have a pair of old powered speakers plugged into the RCA jacks, and that works fine - I'm not using a receiver, and that's the way I want it. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good pair of powered speakers to use for this that would not cost too much money. The ones I have are okay, but as I said they are old and don't have the greatest sound. I stopped in Best Buy (ugh, I know) last night just to see what they had, but all they have is PC stuff and nothing with RCA outs.

2) Obviously for the slimserver to be running (and thus the squeezebox) my PC has to be always on, which I'm not so keen on due to the power consumption (correct me if I am wrong? This morning I woke up and the squeezebox is off - my PC automatically turns off around midnight). Will the slimserver be accessible by the squeezebox if the PC is in hibernate mode? Does anyone have any suggestions about this or do you all just leave it running all the time?

Thanks!

Tom

Kyle
2007-03-16, 08:17
Check out these: http://www.audioengineusa.com/. Slim Devices uses them to demo their products at audio shows. If you order, tell them Dean at Slim Devices sent you. They gave me a discount.

Also, check out threads on Wake on LAN. Your SB should be able to wake up your computer when you want to play music. Setup can be fussy, but there's plenty of info in the threads and wiki, too, I think.

tdellaringa
2007-03-16, 08:47
THanks for the suggestions. The speakers look great, but a bit pricey - maybe in the future though. I will check out the Wake on LAN - thanks!

vain4
2007-03-16, 08:55
Hi folks,

I finally got my squeezebox last night - what a treat. If only every product I bought was as clear, simple and efficient to install and get running. Awesome.

Now, 2 questions as a noob. My PC is downstairs in the family room, but we have the squeezebox up in our bedroom so we can listen to our music at night.

1) I have a pair of old powered speakers plugged into the RCA jacks, and that works fine - I'm not using a receiver, and that's the way I want it. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good pair of powered speakers to use for this that would not cost too much money. The ones I have are okay, but as I said they are old and don't have the greatest sound. I stopped in Best Buy (ugh, I know) last night just to see what they had, but all they have is PC stuff and nothing with RCA outs.

2) Obviously for the slimserver to be running (and thus the squeezebox) my PC has to be always on, which I'm not so keen on due to the power consumption (correct me if I am wrong? This morning I woke up and the squeezebox is off - my PC automatically turns off around midnight). Will the slimserver be accessible by the squeezebox if the PC is in hibernate mode? Does anyone have any suggestions about this or do you all just leave it running all the time?

Thanks!

Tom

1. I use these in my bedroom
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=mul_spk_csw&item=c1pcwzzzz

2. if the BIOS your comp is running supports it you can set the PC to turn on at a given time. Wake on Lan would work but if you run wirelessly it might not.

tdellaringa
2007-03-16, 09:09
Those speakers look good, that's a great price too. I'm running WinXP Pro wirelessly. I've searched this forum and the wiki for wake on lan, and there is really not much actual info (nothing on the wiki). Surprised there isn't a howto somewhere.

I was thinking about using the alarm to wake up to in the morning, but the PC seemingly would have to be on for that to work, and the clock to be running. Does the slimserver work when the PC is in hibernation?

AllanB
2007-03-16, 09:48
I use the Aego M2.1 they sound amazing considering the size of the satellites. The mid range is extremely good as is the bass via the sub. They do seem to stuggle slightly at the top end, but really nothing to worry about. Cost in UK 99, so should be about $200

Kyle
2007-03-16, 11:14
I've searched this forum and the wiki for wake on lan, and there is really not much actual info (nothing on the wiki). Surprised there isn't a howto somewhere.

I'm using Windows XP and set up Wake on LAN according to the instructions in the printed manual for my SB3. It works for me -- wirelessly.

Kyle
2007-03-16, 11:16
I've searched this forum and the wiki for wake on lan, and there is really not much actual info (nothing on the wiki). Surprised there isn't a howto somewhere.

I'm using Windows XP and set up Wake on LAN according to the instructions in the printed manual for my SB3 (there's a PDF file on the site under Support>Documentation). It works for me -- wirelessly.

tdellaringa
2007-03-16, 11:35
Great, I will check that out, thanks.

sc53
2007-03-16, 12:02
Those Cambridge PC speakers that were recommended to you do not have RCA inputs, just a stereo minijack input like what you would use with a computer. Also, Slimserver will not run if your PC hibernates.

tdellaringa
2007-03-16, 12:20
Gah, good to know thanks. Gotcha on the hibernating.

Kyle
2007-03-16, 12:21
It will, however, wake from standby mode.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-18, 10:32
Those Cambridge PC speakers that were recommended to you do not have RCA inputs, just a stereo minijack input like what you would use with a computer.

But you can get a cheap converter cable at Radio Shack.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-03-18, 11:48
Aego-M are the best $200 powered speakers I have found. Available at www.ccrane.com or www.audioadvisor.com

Mike New
2007-03-18, 12:54
I just went through the drill on Wake on LAN and Standby issues. You shouldn't have to leave your PC on all the time. See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33678

Good luck!