PDA

View Full Version : Fast Forward & Rewind

KeithL
2007-03-16, 00:55
Which file formats allow ff and rew as opposed to skip forward a track or skip back a track?
I know mp3 allow such, and wav, aiff, apple lossless do not.
Keith

ceejay
2007-03-16, 01:03
The key question isn't the file type as such, it is actually driven by whether the music is being transcoded at the server or not. This depends on the file type, the capability of the particular SB model, and how you have your server settings. See

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Transcoding

HTH
Ceejay

KeithL
2007-03-17, 13:16
Thanks for the reply Ceejay. However I am none the wiser. The blurb says sb3 has a built in aiff decoder so does this mean it can handle aiff files natively, and if so, shouldn't I be able to ff and rew aiff files? Is there a setting in Slim Server that will enable this feature?
Keith

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-18, 10:06
Any file format in SlimServer - Server Settings - File Types that says "built-in" will allow FF/REW.

If it doesn't, it's being transcoded because the built-in decoder has been disabled. Make sure "built-in" is checked and no other ones are for that format, although it should choose the built-in format first even if you have multiple ones checked.

KeithL
2007-03-18, 13:05
Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I went into file formats and disabled all the other file formats except aiff (built in) and hey presto, I have ff and rew on my sb3!!! It was checked before as well as many other file formats. I didn't realize you had to uncheck every other format.

Keith

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-18, 13:08
I didn't realize you had to uncheck every otherformat.

You shouldn't have to, it should try built-in first then move to WAV, FLAC then MP3.

But good to hear it's working for you.

dcote
2007-03-19, 15:19
there is one exception: ogg-vorbis.

it is played/decoded natively in SB3, but can not FF/REW.

has to do with the way the SB3 currently decodes streams and has them served by slimserver.

cheers,

dominique

azinck3
2007-03-20, 08:52
You shouldn't have to, it should try built-in first then move to WAV, FLAC then MP3.

But good to hear it's working for you.

Actually, I think that it transcodes to FLAC by default to save bandwidth and improve performance over wireless which is why the FF/REW wasn't working for the OP until streaming AIFF by way of FLAC was disabled.