PDA

View Full Version : Random play not in effect after restarting Slimserver

MelonMonkey
2007-03-14, 14:46
Currently running Slimserver 6.5.2 (11509) on Mac OS 10.4

If I shut down Slimserver, the Random Play feature will not be in effect when it is restarted. Instead it will contain a static playlist the contents of which are the 31 or so tracks that were listed prior to shutdown (some of which had already played and some which had not). The current track within that list is also not preserved.

Anyone file a bug or feature request to get this fixed/improved?

Bruno

kdf
2007-03-14, 14:53
That is how it's designed. Stopping, or loading new playlists will
also halt the random mode.

however, press-and-hold shuffle will start a new random song playlist.

-kdf

MelonMonkey
2007-03-14, 15:42
I hope I didn't confuse the issue by not writing "Random Mix" - I'm not talking about shuffling of the current playlist.

Time to get a new feature request in then, since that design is a little lack-lustre.

Starting a new playlist is something completely different. In my opinion, pressing Power to turn the unit off is like pressing Pause. It should come back exactly where you left off.

Long-press of Shuffle isn't tied to the Random Mix plugin without a custom IR map.

Bruno

kdf
2007-03-14, 15:45
Quoting MelonMonkey
<MelonMonkey.2ngiwz1173912302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Time to get a new feature request in then, since that design is a little
> lack-lustre. Thanks.

no, thank you.

make sure you search first...
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3297

-ldf

Triode
2007-03-14, 15:55
Long press of shuffle to start random mix is a new feature in 7.0 I think (at least I only added it to that!)

kdf
2007-03-14, 16:01
another minor correction. stop/pause doesn't stop random play. restarting the server is very much not the same as a pause.

The commands that reset the random (from the code):

'clear' => 1, # clearing the current playlist
'loadtracks' => 1, # multiple play
'playtracks' => 1, # single play
'load' => 1, # old style url load (no play)
'play' => 1, # old style url play
'loadalbum' => 1, # old style multi-item load
'playalbum' => 1, # old style multi-item play

Philip Meyer
2007-03-14, 16:34
I'm not entirely sure what MelonMonkey is requesting. The first post talks about stopping slimserver. His second post talks about Powering on/off a unit.

There is a player setting option to control the effect of powering off and on a squeezebox. e.g. "Pause at player off / remain paused at player on". Does this have any effect on whether random mode is retained or not?

I believe that squeezebox on/off does retain random play mode. However stopping/restarting slimserver (such as restarting a PC), may be completely different.

Phil

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-14, 18:20
I believe that squeezebox on/off does retain random play mode. However stopping/restarting slimserver (such as restarting a PC), may be completely different.

Yes, this is how it works, at least for me. Power off the Squeezebox, Random Mix stays active. Power off SlimServer, Random Mix gets deactivated.

I didn't think it was too much hassle to restart Random Mix though.

MelonMonkey
2007-03-15, 11:00
Sorry for having mentioned pressing Power on the SB remote. That part does work.

I use the energy saver functions on my server to shut it down and turn it back on again at specific times. Don't need the server running 24/7 and don't need the display on the SB active when I'm asleep.

One of the first things I do in the morning is to fire up the SB. The server comes on before I wake up to make this possible. When you have to remember to re-activate Random Mix every single day it can get tedious. Or you may forget. Not to mention whatever else that may also be lost - I haven't done extensive testing with any other features that should be preserved in this type of situation.

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things, no it's not a huge problem, but it could be a symptom of an issue that may have consequences later on. In the least it would be a much smoother experience if it "just worked."

Philip Meyer
2007-03-15, 16:18
>Anyway, in the grand scheme of things, no it's not a huge problem, but
>it could be a symptom of an issue that may have consequences later on.
>In the least it would be a much smoother experience if it "just
>worked."

I don't see it as a problem. It's working as the developers intended - there's no documentation to suggest it should work as you want it.

After all, if you play a CD in a CD player in random mode and turn the CD player off and back on, I bet it doesn't remember that it was in random play mode. If you had a PC application playing music and you shut down the PC and restart it, the application won't remember to play random music either.

I think it may be a valid case for an enhancement request, but don't classify it as a bug.