PDA

View Full Version : Not an SB3...

steve4586
2007-03-13, 03:51
Hi all,

first off, if this is a replication of an existing post I apologies in advance, but my limited search abilities (and using the right keywords!) failed to find an answer...

At the moment I have 2 SB3s and am addicted - next stage is PSU upgrades for them, however this is not my question.

My wife suggested that we replace the Radio Alarm in the bedroom for a Slim driven device (quite a step forward for a technophobe!). My existing Bose Wave radio does accept aux inputs, but it seems a hassle having two devices to send to sleep and two devices to wake up at set times. Also as I have lost the manual and the dog ate the remote (not a problem but when he burps the Bose changes station ;-)), so I can't remember how to set the alarm to aux - besides I want a system that wakes me up at the right time on the right day, after all I don't work at weekends.

So, has anyone any cool suggestions that won't kill my bank balance? Squeezeblaster seems like a good idea, but I would not trust myself with a mod like that!!

The floor is open.....

Cheers

Steve

Smiffy
2007-03-13, 05:30
I use my SB3 as the alarm and connect via the Bose Aux In. The only problem you will have is that BOSE will not set the alarm to AUX, only Radio or CD so you have to leave the unit on all the time.

steve4586
2007-03-13, 07:06
That is the bottom line option, but then I don't really want my Bose on all the time consuming power (but a Slimserver is ok of course!!!).

I suppose I'm wondering/musing if Logitech will start producing consumer systems to fit with requirements such as this. We don't have to worry to much about the high end stuff as the SB3/Transports cover this - providing Logitech improves the breed rather than ruin it!

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-13, 07:18
It's been requested for some time now - a SlimServer player with built-in speakers.

It could really happen with Logitech now.

gregklanderman
2007-03-13, 07:55
>>>>> steve <steve4586> writes:

> That is the bottom line option, but then I don't really want my Bose on
> all the time consuming power (but a Slimserver is ok of course!!!).

The Bose likely consumes very little power when not playing anything.
Certainly much less than the machine running Slimserver.

You could get a small set of powered computer speakers and plug them
into the headphone jack on the SB3. Depending on what quality and
volume level you want you could get a cheap pair or spend a hundred or
more. Then you can control everything from the slim remote.

greg

peter
2007-03-13, 11:07
Greg Klanderman wrote:
> You could get a small set of powered computer speakers and plug them
> into the headphone jack on the SB3. Depending on what quality and
> volume level you want you could get a cheap pair or spend a hundred or
> more. Then you can control everything from the slim remote.
>

All PC speakers I ever tried were very bad compared to hifi amps and
speakers. I use a small and very cheap T-Amp (
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html ) to power two hifi
speakers. I just leave it on, it consumes very little power and is
completely silent when the SB is off. The PC speakers I had in my
bedroom before that sounded cheap and produced a soft but annoying hum.

Regards,
Peter

PS: Don't use Internet radio as an alarm clock sound unless you're
prepared to be late when your link or the station goes down ;)

Eric Carroll
2007-03-13, 13:34
My existing Bose Wave radio does accept aux inputs, but it seems a hassle having two devices to send to sleep and two devices to wake up at set times.

Squeezeblaster seems like a good idea, but I would not trust myself with a mod like that!!

My journey with the SB3 and Transporter started with my desire to get my CD collection onto my Bose WAVE Radio.

There is no way to trigger the AUX function as part of an alarm that I could find. I settled on turning on the Waveradio, set to AUX, when I went to bed and left it like that, with an alarm on the SB3. The WaveRadio was left on all night. I used the SB3 remote to control the volume.

I investigated the blaster, but did not go through with it.

While the waveradio is adequate for FM listening (I never really used the built in CD player), as I compared it to my other SB3 and Transporter on Real Speakers, I became dissatisfied. I realized the Bose had no stereo effect by design, was pretty muddy, boomy bass and overly bright at the same time, and to top it all off, had a nasty background noise level on the AUX position that bothered me at night.

I eventually decommissioned the old stereo system bookshelf speakers (BW Matrix) and recommissioned them as alarm clock speakers with a power amp directly connected to the SB3. What an improvement!

Overkill I know. I gave the Waveradio to my wife who uses the alarm function to wake up to AM radio....

John Rakestraw
2007-03-13, 17:55
> My wife suggested that we replace the Radio Alarm in the bedroom for
> a Slim driven device (quite a step forward for a technophobe!).

I'll say up front that what we do won't satisfy everyone, but it works
well for us. We use our old SB-1 as an alarm clock, but we wake up to
NPR news rather than to music. We have an inexpensive pair of computer
speakers plugged into the headphone jack; the speakers are designed to
be powered speakers, but they aren't plugged in to power. I discovered
quite by accident that the squeezebox puts out enough power to drive the
speakers even though they're not plugged in. It's not high quality
sound, but it's better than the clock radio we used before. The
squeezebox is also connected to an amplifier and, through the
amplifier, to a decent stereo speaker in the ceiling of the bathroom and
to other speakers. When we listen to music, and usually after we're
awake and still listening to the news, we turn on the amplifier.

(I'm assuming, of course, that driving the computer speakers without
plugging them into power isn't damaging the squeezebox, but I'm just
unsure enough after describing what we do that I'm adding this
paragraph to encourage others who know more than I do to speak up if
I'm wrong about that.)

--
John

MelonMonkey
2007-03-14, 11:31
ZVOX Mini. Powered speakers in a single understated, but attractive, enclosure - that are sure to sound better than anything Bose has ever released.

http://yhst-9301186439366.stores.yahoo.net/zvmihipestso.html

It will turn on when it senses a load on its audio input.

steve4586
2007-03-15, 11:37
Thanks for input from all. For the moment I will stick with my Bose Wave Radio and wait. I would rather spend my cash on something worthwhile than live at the bleeding edge (Been there bought the tee-shirt etc). Besides when I do replace the Bose, I will be looking for something that sounds pretty special - quite interested by the ZVOX mini though.