X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hajji
    • Mar 2007

Connecting to SlimServer... *stuck*

Hi all,

I have been using the SB3 for about 3 months now, on some derivation of 6.5.2.

Recently though the unit stops at "Connecting to SlimServer..." but only when connecting through wireless.

If I plug the ethernet cable it, it works fine. Wireless, it gets an IP as always, but when targetting the server it just hangs.

Any insight here? I have downgraded to 6.5.1 and updated the firmware but with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated. Is there additional information that I can provide that can help troubleshoot?
  • Mark Lanctot
    • Oct 2005

If it gets as far as connecting to SlimServer, that means your wireless encryption settings are good.

However your IP address might not be. Are you getting it by DHCP or is it static? Any possibility of a duplicate?

What does the player say its MAC address is? Does it match the one printed on the bottom?

Did you have good wireless bandwidth and strength when it used to connect? Has a neighbor moved in with a strong wireless router? Any possible interference from microwave ovens or cordless phones?

Does your router have a function that shows what wireless clients are connected and does it ever show the Squeezebox as connected?
    Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• hajji
      • Mar 2007

Hi Mark, alright, I have answered in line below:

Originally posted by Mark Lanctot
      If it gets as far as connecting to SlimServer, that means your wireless encryption settings are good.

However your IP address might not be. Are you getting it by DHCP or is it static? Any possibility of a duplicate?
      I am using DHCP and it is receiving a unique IP address and the router sees the device as a wireless DHCP client.

What does the player say its MAC address is? Does it match the one printed on the bottom?
      The MAC address that the player displays in Current Settings is the same as the one identified by my router as connected as well as matches the sticker on the bottom.

Did you have good wireless bandwidth and strength when it used to connect? Has a neighbor moved in with a strong wireless router? Any possible interference from microwave ovens or cordless phones?
      The signal strength listed is 100% as since I am troubleshooting, it is in the same room as the router. And I don't think it is a microwave / cordless as this is persistent, regardless of their use. There are no other wireless networks in the area of any noticeable signal strength.

Does your router have a function that shows what wireless clients are connected and does it ever show the Squeezebox as connected?
      The router does see the Squeezebox as connected. I am using WPA2 Personal, and nothing has changed on my network from when it worked originally.

It is perplexing since I haven't changed anything recently, it goes through the wireless connection steps without a problem, just hangs on connecting.

Connecting the ethernet on the same network with the same server works.

Thanks for your time and help.

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
        • Oct 2005

Does SlimServer ever see it as connected?

(silly question) Have you tried pressing brightness? Maybe the player brightness was accidentally set to 0?

Have your firewall settings changed? Try temporarily disabling the firewall.

Comment

• hajji
          • Mar 2007

Does SlimServer ever see it as connected?

(silly question) Have you tried pressing brightness? Maybe the player brightness was accidentally set to 0?

Have your firewall settings changed? Try temporarily disabling the firewall.
          Yes, when it is on the wired connection (not wireless) it all works correctly, so the Slimserver sees it as connected, and it plays as it should, full function.

Regarding brightness, heh, I am sure that isn't the problem, because I see the "Connecting to Slimserver..." bright and clear, it just doesn't get past that.

As far as the firewall, this is on my LAN, there is no firewall, and I have Windows Firewall disabled on the server computer.

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by hajji
            Yes, when it is on the wired connection (not wireless) it all works correctly, so the Slimserver sees it as connected, and it plays as it should, full function.
            But does it see it when you try to connect wirelessly?

Regarding brightness, heh, I am sure that isn't the problem, because I see the "Connecting to Slimserver..." bright and clear, it just doesn't get past that.
            Actually the brightness setting would only kick in once it connects to SlimServer. So it could be connecting and reducing to 0 when it does connect.

Comment

• hajji
              • Mar 2007

But does it see it when you try to connect wirelessly?
              No Mark, when you try to connect wirelessly, as it apparently fails to connect to the Slimserver, the Slimserver page says no player found.

Actually the brightness setting would only kick in once it connects to SlimServer. So it could be connecting and reducing to 0 when it does connect.
              If you press the keys, it returns to the Connecting to Slimserver message and never progresses past it.

Comment

• agbagb
                • Aug 2006

Hi all,

I have been using the SB3 for about 3 months now, on some derivation of 6.5.2.

Recently though the unit stops at "Connecting to SlimServer..." but only when connecting through wireless.

If I plug the ethernet cable it, it works fine. Wireless, it gets an IP as always, but when targetting the server it just hangs.
                Have you tried disabling encryption on your router? I know you haven't changed any settings recently, but this reads to me like an encryption issue - SS and the router are talking to each other, but saying 'password please!'. When I had to re-set my SS a couple of months ago, I got exactly this hang-up until I realised I was using an out-of-date WPA at the SS end (duh.....). Maybe your SS has somehow 'forgotten' the correct encryption code?

AGB
                Gary Brown
                Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 - 1700745578
                Win11
                Control: MaterialSkin Web GUI Firefox; MaterialSkin app on Android phones / pads

in Paris, France:-
                Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
                External SSDs, WiFi Laptop
                1 x Touch Wireless (8.0.1-r16916)
                1 x SB Radio Wireless (8.0.1-r16924)
                [+ 3 spare Touch, 3 spare Radio, 2 x SqueezeAMP]

Comment

• y360
                  • Feb 2007

Can you connect to squeezenetwork ?

Comment

• hajji
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by agbagb
                    Have you tried disabling encryption on your router? I know you haven't changed any settings recently, but this reads to me like an encryption issue - SS and the router are talking to each other, but saying 'password please!'. When I had to re-set my SS a couple of months ago, I got exactly this hang-up until I realised I was using an out-of-date WPA at the SS end (duh.....). Maybe your SS has somehow 'forgotten' the correct encryption code?

AGB
                    That was it! Thank you all for your assistance and patience. I was on a business trip, so I couldn't test it out earlier.

I disabled encryption on my router, connected, no problem, re-enabled encryption, adjusted SB3 settings, and ALL SET!

Comment

• agbagb
                      • Aug 2006

That was it! Thank you all for your assistance and patience. I was on a business trip, so I couldn't test it out earlier.

I disabled encryption on my router, connected, no problem, re-enabled encryption, adjusted SB3 settings, and ALL SET!
                      It's always seemed bizarre to me that routers can't seem to send a simple "Wrong Password" message, so you know that's what the problem is! Sending what's in effect a "No Connection" message is so misleading.

Glad it worked out!

AGB
                      Gary Brown
                      Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 - 1700745578
                      Win11
                      Control: MaterialSkin Web GUI Firefox; MaterialSkin app on Android phones / pads

in Paris, France:-
                      Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
                      External SSDs, WiFi Laptop
                      1 x Touch Wireless (8.0.1-r16916)
                      1 x SB Radio Wireless (8.0.1-r16924)
                      [+ 3 spare Touch, 3 spare Radio, 2 x SqueezeAMP]

Comment

Working...