PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade firmware whitout using the remote control ?

mftech
2007-03-11, 21:39
I'm in strange situation, I upgrade to the latest SB3 firmware/software and I loss my original SB3 remote, I order a new one but I'm still waiting for delivery.

Did anyone knows about any tricks, command line, power sequence, etc...that could force the firmware update ?
Or something that could mimic the pres/hold Brithness button ?

Regards
Michel

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-12, 06:23
Haven't heard of any!

At first I was going to suggest to try a universal remote with a JVC DVD player code, but that wouldn't have a brightness button.

2007-03-12, 07:05
you could try borrowing one from a shop or seeing if there is another squeezebox owner in the area ?

mftech
2007-03-12, 07:37
Do you think I should create a feature request in Bugzilla ?

It may be useful to add a function to force the firmware upgrade whitout having the remote.

I'm calling -Coup de Foudre- in Mtl to check the status order.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-12, 08:17

It would come in handy in emergencies.

I searched bugzilla and couldn't find anything like this. The closest was something that could help you right now, but it may not work anymore:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2970

which was a JVC DVD remote triggering a firmware update when pressing and holding FF.

So it doesn't appear to be a duplicate, which is always the requirement before putting something into bugzilla.

Typically SlimServer doesn't have access to the Squeezebox firmware functions like this, but there is some access now at least: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33482 so I'll leave it to the developers to comment on the feasibility. Firmware changes are usually far-reaching and more difficult to implement than SlimServer changes though.

JJZolx
2007-03-12, 09:44

It may be useful to add a function to force the firmware upgrade whitout having the remote.

Actually, a feature was added to the Squeezebox not very long ago to allow an automatic firmware upgrades without any user intervention. Unfortunately, this option must be set in the Squeezebox itself. That requires using the remote, but once it's done, you never have to deal with it again.