PDA

View Full Version : Are the Black/Silver Squeezeboxes Discontinued?

upstatemike
2007-03-11, 08:03
I noticed the other day that black/silver squeezeboxes are no longer offered on the Buy Now page and there aren't many on Ebay either. Were they discontinued along with the wired units? Are the white units about to be cut as well? (also rare on ebay)

peterw
2007-03-11, 10:23
The box for my all-black SB3 has pictures of all-black SB3s and remotes and white SB3s and remotes, but no black/silver. So I'm not surprised that black/silver seem to be gone. Only a Slim employee could say for sure, but I wouldn't worry about all-white being discontinued anytime soon.

The next physical change should be either replacing the Slim Devices logo with the Logitech logo, or maybe introducing a Squeezebox 4, and only Logitech and maybe Richard Titmuss would likely know anything about that. :-)

-Peter

DrNic
2007-03-11, 12:30
The box for my all-black SB3 has pictures of all-black SB3s and remotes and white SB3s and remotes, but no black/silver. So I'm not surprised that black/silver seem to be gone. Only a Slim employee could say for sure, but I wouldn't worry about all-white being discontinued anytime soon.

The next physical change should be either replacing the Slim Devices logo with the Logitech logo, or maybe introducing a Squeezebox 4, and only Logitech and maybe Richard Titmuss would likely know anything about that. :-)

-Peter

Oh yeah, the black/silver ones have disappeared....!
I hope they don't put that duff logitech logo on them. Time to find the stock on UK resellers now and by some "spares"!!

Nic

peterw
2007-03-11, 16:00
Oh yeah, the black/silver ones have disappeared....!
I hope they don't put that duff logitech logo on them. Time to find the stock on UK resellers now and by some "spares"!!

Slim has announced that the gear will have the Logitech logos very soon:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=169090&postcount=32

-Peter

Anne
2007-03-11, 16:17
Well, guess I got "lucky" then. I ordered a black SB3, the box came with a photo of a black SB3, on the side of the box it said "SB3 Black", but when opened a silver/black SB3 emerged, with a black remote.....

Cant they put the Logitech logo on the back of the unit !!

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-11, 16:59
Cant they put the Logitech logo on the back of the unit !!

I've got to say the Logitech logo is probably the goofiest in the corporate world.

Looks like something your 4-year-old drew that you have stuck on the fridge.

cliveb
2007-03-12, 01:47
Slim has announced that the gear will have the Logitech logos very soon:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=169090&postcount=32
Maybe this makes some kind of sense, if Logitech's intention is to retain the Slim Devices brand name for the Transporter (and other future high-end devices). If they want to shift the Squeezebox in high numbers through big chain stores, then the average man in the street may well be happier with the Logitech brand they know than with this unknown company "Slim Devices".

But if the intention is to also rebrand the Transporter as Logitech, then I am convinced that would be a big marketing gaffe. Example: when Philips owned Marantz in the 80s and 90s, they were fully aware of the fact that the way to get their higher end stuff accepted in the marketplace was to brand it as Marantz. Sales would have been much lower with a Philips badge.

qirex
2007-03-12, 11:02
I've got to say the Logitech logo is probably the goofiest in the corporate world.

Looks like something your 4-year-old drew that you have stuck on the fridge.

There's far worse, one of my old employers got bought by Check Point:

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-12, 11:31
There's far worse, one of my old employers got bought by Check Point:

Wow, point well taken!

I can't see why anybody in their right minds would approve of such a logo.

It just screams "LOOK AT OUR MSPAINT SKILLZ!" It also screams "WE PAID LESS THAN $10 FOR THIS LOGO!" You never get a second chance to make a first impression, they say...

Studio_Two
2007-03-13, 08:15
Hello,

The White Squeezebox is actually "White / Silver" - as it uses a Brushed Metal (Silver) fascia rather than a White one. Maybe it's the same fascia originally used on the "Black / Silver" Model.

If anyone has any existing "Silver" Hi-Fi gear, the "White / Silver" Model looks really nice. Probably nicer than the "Black / Silver" would have done.

If all your existing equipment is Black, you'll probably opt for the "All Black" model.

I can see why they have discontinued the Black / Silver Model.

HTH,
Stephen

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-13, 08:37
The White Squeezebox is actually "White / Silver" - as it uses a Brushed Metal (Silver) fascia rather than a White one. Maybe it's the same fascia originally used on the "Black / Silver" Model.

I would think. I imagine it's the one with horizontal brush striations.

If anyone has any existing "Silver" Hi-Fi gear, the "White / Silver" Model looks really nice. Probably nicer than the "Black / Silver" would have done.

I don't know - the black/silver one looks really nice. I never liked the look of the white ones.

If all your existing equipment is Black, you'll probably opt for the "All Black" model.

I'd guess so.

I can see why they have discontinued the Black / Silver Model.

I can see why they'd discontinue it in favour of the all-black model, but I'm surprised they're keeping the white models. For some reason I didn't think they were that popular?

Reducing part numbers and variations, particularly for something as trivial as colour, is a good way to reduce costs - but that said, they once had SB1s and SB2s in a riot of colours, see:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050101012630/http://www.slimdevices.com/

!!!

At the time they were desperately trying to overcome the "it looks like a clock radio" stigma.

GoCubs
2007-03-13, 09:01
They're probably just blowing through their inventory before the Logitech branded (or maybe a new model?!) arrives and the black/silver just ran out before the white/silver.

-Greg

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-13, 10:13
They're probably just blowing through their inventory before the Logitech branded (or maybe a new model?!) arrives and the black/silver just ran out before the white/silver.

-Greg

If you take a look at the second post in this thread, new boxes have been printed showing black/black and white/silver, but no black/silver.

peter
2007-03-13, 12:43
Mark Lanctot wrote:
> GoCubs;187577 Wrote:
>
>> They're probably just blowing through their inventory before the
>> Logitech branded (or maybe a new model?!) arrives and the black/silver
>> just ran out before the white/silver.
>>
>> -Greg
>>
>
> If you take a look at the second post in this thread, new boxes have
> been printed showing black/black and white/silver, but no black/silver.
>

I always thought I wanted a black/black one, but seeing them on the site
I must say I'm not so sure. The black silver ones I have now look pretty
good too.

Regards,
Peter

PS: Moral: Don't listen to your customers, they don't know what they want ;)