6.5.1 - Issue with Number-based Text Search?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pablolie
    • Feb 2006

I have noticed that when trying to navigate through my music folders, the P - Q - R - S sequence will work alright for the first 3, then take me to "The S.." instead of to folders starting with S. The only way to arrive at folders starting with S is to scroll - a lot- with the up or down buttons. Also, the "T" search will take me to the middle of the T folders, seemingly the last one not starting with "the".

Anyone else seen this?
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.2.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540
  • gerph
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by pablolie
    I have noticed that when trying to navigate through my music folders, the P - Q - R - S sequence will work alright for the first 3, then take me to "The S.." instead of to folders starting with S. The only way to arrive at folders starting with S is to scroll - a lot- with the up or down buttons. Also, the "T" search will take me to the middle of the T folders, seemingly the last one not starting with "the".

Anyone else seen this?
    I'm not entirely sure whether I've understood what you're seeing, but I believe it's working as configured. The word 'The' is in the list of words to be ignored at the start of the names.

In the 'Behavior settings' (sic), there is a section as follows :

--
    ARTICLES TO IGNORE WHEN SORTING
    A list of articles ("the", "les", "los", etc.) to ignore at the beginning of artist, song or album names when sorting. Separate multiple articles by spaces or leave this list blank to disable this behavior. Changing this setting will start a rescan of your music library.
    --

On the system here, I've got it set to 'The El La Los Las Le Les' which means that anything starting with any of those words will be sorted as if the word wasn't there.

To take an example, 'The Moody Blues' is under 'M', not 'T'. If 'The' was not in the list above then the artist would be sorted into the 'T' section. The result of this would be 50 million artists all sorted into 'T'. And more confusion, on my part, because I'd never be quite sure whether 'Village People' was under 'Village People' or 'The Village People'. With 'The' ignored, it's simple - they're under 'V' whether the word is on the front or not. ('Village People' selected purely because I always say 'YMCA by The Village People', rather than 'YMCA by Village People', 'cos that just sounds silly).

In my collection here, with 'The' in the above list, I can scroll through the 'S' section and see entries in this order :

..., 'Seafood', 'The Seahorses', 'Seal', ...

I hope that answers your question a little bit - I think it's just confusion about that particular setting. Remove the word from the configured list if you think 'The' is an important qualifier on a name.

Comment

• Michael Herger
      Babelfish's Best Boy
      • Apr 2005

> I have noticed that when trying to navigate through my music folders,
      > the P - Q - R - S sequence will work alright for the first 3, then take
      > me to "The S.." instead of to folders starting with S.

"The ..." is usually ignored, so you have "The Beatles" at the top "B"
      instead of "T". I think this can be configured in the Server
      Settings/Behaviour.

> folders, seemingly the last one not starting with "the".

....or the first "The T...".

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
      http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR
      Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
      (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• pablolie
        • Feb 2006

That is not the way it works for me. Everything that starts with "The" is filed under the T, before the stuff starting with "Ti". And the S never reaches S.

I should note this is when browsing Music Folders.
        Last edited by pablolie; 2007-03-11, 00:34.
        ...pablo
        System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
        Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub

Comment

• ceejay
          • Apr 2005

Please add your experiences here...

Ceejay

Comment

• pablolie
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by ceejay
            http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2594

Please add your experiences here...

Ceejay
            I have - many thanks for the pointer!
            ...pablo

Comment

Working...