PDA

View Full Version : Q: Servers, NAS, Linux, Windows

plafitracer
2007-03-09, 07:21
Hi all,

Just so I also can understand it :)

I would like to have a server of some kind standing somwhere in my house (away from the stereo), to send music to my Squeezebox.

I have a 1.8 GHz PC with a couple of HDD's in it that I have not been using for the past 18 months. It is currently installed with XP.

I have been discussing with myself, and reading articles all over, abouth what I need:

a) Some professional NAS Server with Slmserver installed (eg Infrant)
b) Install FreeNAS with Slimserver on the above PC
c) Install a full Linux and Slimserver on the above PC
d) Install Slimserver on the above PC

I am not sure that I need RAID, I have all the CD's in real life (granted I would be pissed off by a disc-crash, havin to flac it all again...).

I just want a music server, that doesn't run off my laptop (my daily private computer), but one that can be controlled via my laptop. The laptop is running Vista, but there are some issues...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Henrik

aubuti
2007-03-09, 07:59
Note: all that follows assumes that the computer you have is attached to a home network, to which you can also attach the SB.

Since you already have a computer you can use, and it apparently has sufficient hard drive capacity, the easiest thing to do is (d). Then, if you want to see if you like it better on linux, check out the SlimCD, which is even easier than your (b) or (c) solutions. My experience has been that slimserver runs better on linux than on Windows, but you might find otherwise. The beauty is, it's easy to test and see for yourself.

The main advantage of running slimserver off a NAS is lower power consumption. So I wouldn't go there unless that's important to you. It is for me, so I'm running slimserver off a NAS, but there is a performance penalty on scanning times and a sluggish web interface. The latter could be important to you if you are planning to control SB via your laptop a lot.

Oh, and I strongly suggest getting a large external USB HDD to back up your music library, and store it off site if possible. Figure out how long it would take to re-rip everything if/when your main HDD dies, and then look at the absurdly low prices of external HDDs. If you value your time at all, don't consider your original CDs as your backup. RAID isn't the same as backup, and when it comes to a home music server, I think a backup is a lot more important than RAID.

plafitracer
2007-03-09, 08:30
Thanks for you reply.

Yes, I do have a wireless home network, with the computers and SB attached.

I do have a large USB HDD, and plan, due to the, as you mention, ridiculous prices, to get one or two more.

I'll definately compare the SlimCD versus the installed XP, then I can always try to make a Linux box, and someday spend the $1000 on a NAS - it does take me quite sometime to spend that money on my electrical bill :-)

aubuti
2007-03-09, 12:30
and someday spend the $1000 on a NAS - it does take me quite sometime to spend that money on my electrical bill :-)
The NAS math was different for me: I needed additional storage anyway, and a 250GB LinkStation fit the bill, at a cost that was only US$75-100 more than a similar capacity USB drive. I don't know how long the payback will be on the electric bill, but I'm feeling a little greener.

plafitracer
2007-03-09, 13:01
I was referring to the entry level price of an Infrant ReadyNAS NV, 256MB RAM, 2x250GB Seagate disks, which retails here in Denmark at $1000...

I'll definately look into the Linksys solution, like you have.

JJZolx
2007-03-09, 13:26
I would like to have a server of some kind standing somwhere in my house (away from the stereo), to send music to my Squeezebox.

I have a 1.8 GHz PC with a couple of HDD's in it that I have not been using for the past 18 months. It is currently installed with XP.

I have been discussing with myself, and reading articles all over, abouth what I need:

a) Some professional NAS Server with Slmserver installed (eg Infrant)
b) Install FreeNAS with Slimserver on the above PC
c) Install a full Linux and Slimserver on the above PC
d) Install Slimserver on the above PC

I am not sure that I need RAID, I have all the CD's in real life (granted I would be pissed off by a disc-crash, havin to flac it all again...).

No, you don't need RAID. What you do need is a backup of your music library. Probably an external USB drive (or drives) would be best. The Infrant NAS approach is both expensive and sluggish. Some people like it because it's neat - they don't have to set up a PC and it's small and can sit off in a corner somewhere. A PC isn't much bigger and it, too, can sit off somewhere without a keyboard or monitor.

I just want a music server, that doesn't run off my laptop (my daily private computer), but one that can be controlled via my laptop. The laptop is running Vista, but there are some issues...

Any suggestions?

You have a spare PC lying around with an XP license. I'd recommend just installing SlimServer on that PC running XP. If you know Linux, or you want to play around with it, install Linux.

If the operating system is XP Pro (vs. XP Home) it will have Remote Desktop capability. Install the remote desktop client on the laptop and you can do almost anything from the laptop. If it's XP Home then you'll probably want to install VNC to give you the same capability.

aubuti
2007-03-09, 20:45
I was referring to the entry level price of an Infrant ReadyNAS NV, 256MB RAM, 2x250GB Seagate disks, which retails here in Denmark at $1000...

I'll definately look into the Linksys solution, like you have.
Yes, I know the Infrants are among the pricier NASs, although if you really want to see pricey check out Infrant's Repertoire model http://www.infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=Repertoire! Would be perfect with a Slim Devices Transporter....

Note that the LinkStation is made by Buffalo Technologies, not Linksys. I have the HG model, they have since come out with several newer models. Synology also makes some very capable and slimserver-friendly NASs.

peter
2007-03-09, 23:32
aubuti wrote:
> plafitracer;186776 Wrote:
>
>> I was referring to the entry level price of an Infrant ReadyNAS NV,
>> 256MB RAM, 2x250GB Seagate disks, which retails here in Denmark at
>> $1000...
>>
>> I'll definately look into the Linksys solution, like you have.
>>
> Yes, I know the Infrants are among the pricier NASs, although if you
> really want to see pricey check out Infrant's Repertoire model
> http://www.infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=Repertoire!
> Would be perfect with a Slim Devices Transporter....
>

I disagree. The perfect media server is ugly, noisy and safely tucked
away in the basement. ;)

The best looking hifi-equipment is invisible.

Regards,
Peter