PDA

View Full Version : DIY Powersupply suitable for 230V

mangew
2007-03-09, 00:53
I´m pretty new to using Squeezebox. I have a pretty good sounding Hifisystem an thinking of use Squeezeboz as a part of that.

As stock unit the Squeezebox does not sound as nice as my CDP but i have read there´s a lot of imporvement to get from DAC and also new power supply.

At beginning i thought i have to buy a powersupply since i have no knowledge of making them but i have a friend that DIY a lot of music stuff for guitars (amps etc.) So he has promised to make one for me.

I need a good description, what powersupplys that fits for 230V (think many of them here are for 110V?) Wiring diagram and all useful information.

Would appreciate if someone has good choices to share, mabye what threads here that has 230V powersupplys of good quality.

As i understand the Squeezebox needs a 5V linear powersupply?

Skunk
2007-03-09, 07:53
Most people who want a linear supply that's better than a wall wart, but doesn't cost $500+, use an open frame linear power supply. Single output 5V 3A units are very common, so there are lots of models available from local electronic supply places (new or surplus), or from ebay but the age may be questionable.

The circuit diagram is usually printed on the power supply itself, and gives instructions for wiring and fusing it for 110 or 230. Precautionary and application notes are sometimes available from the manufacturer in PDF form, so I'd recommend buying the bare PS and printing the material to give him.

I'd recommend short thick DC cable to the squeezebox, with a switchcraft DC connector on the end. Make sure he fuses the metal enclosure properly or risk electrocution. Be sure to test that it's putting out 5.0V, with positive on the center and neg on the sleeve going to SB.

Box and all, these can be put together for under US$100 new. The next step would be using better components than the pre-made versions, but will probably shoot parts cost and assembly time up substantially.

mudlark
2007-03-09, 13:36
I´m pretty new to using Squeezebox. I have a pretty good sounding Hifisystem an thinking of use Squeezeboz as a part of that.

As stock unit the Squeezebox does not sound as nice as my CDP but i have read there´s a lot of imporvement to get from DAC and also new power supply.

At beginning i thought i have to buy a powersupply since i have no knowledge of making them but i have a friend that DIY a lot of music stuff for guitars (amps etc.) So he has promised to make one for me.

I need a good description, what powersupplys that fits for 230V (think many of them here are for 110V?) Wiring diagram and all useful information.

Would appreciate if someone has good choices to share, mabye what threads here that has 230V powersupplys of good quality.

As i understand the Squeezebox needs a 5V linear powersupply?

Where are you? There's a guy in north europe or in the UK there's my effort. see £60 power supply below

mangew
2007-03-10, 03:21
Mudlark: I live in Sweden, do you have any link to the Powersupply you mention?

I have seen people use finished simple and cheap powersupplys from local electronic stores. I could try one of these before i go on with an DIY but since i want to put maximun out of this SB and power supply am i willing to find and build (with help of friend) an good DIY powersupply with good components.

If any has a good description, links and so on to DIY powersupplys i appreciate this. And they should be suitable for 230V since i don´t know how to modify from example 110 -> 230V

I have seen some on this forum but i think most of them are for 110V, mabye i have wrong?

mudlark
2007-03-10, 04:19
Hi ,
Tomsi42 appears to live in Oslo. He uses the same power supply unit that I use.

In the uK these units are available from Farnell. http://www.farnell.com/ shows access to a europe site. The Swedish site is http://se.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp. The power supply is at http://se.farnell.com/jsp/search2/browse.jsp?N=500033&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=CALEX+32005A&Ntx=&_requestid=350358

The box comes from Maplin as did the IEC socket.

The power supply is mounted in the box with screws and nuts. The difficult part is making a hole in the aluminium box to allow the IEC socket to be fitted. I drilled holes and then filed the hole into the correct shape. takes a while but I haven't the correct tools!

plafitracer
2007-03-25, 06:10
RS-Components also have it, at a better price than Farnell.
I live in Denmark, so 230V is also pretty good for me, even though I have a 2000VAC transformer for 110V, driving my preamp and poweramp.

look at this link: http://www.rsonline.dk/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?N=0&name=SiteStandard&forwardingPage=line&R=5362993&callingPage=/jsp/line/line.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1609581835.1174827578@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdhaddkhkliieicefeceeldgkidhgh.0&cacheID=dkie&Nr=avl:dk

mangew
2007-03-25, 13:41
RS components do only sell to companies not private person. At least here in sweden. How is it in denmark?

And the link to rs components is a short time living one, give me art.no to the item instead to search for it by myself.

plafitracer
2007-03-26, 10:08
Sorry about the RS link: Here's the art.no 536-2993.

I have an account at RS in Denmark, if you are interested I'll just get two - or more, and send it to you, of course against payment and postage :-)

I just exchanged my SS switchmode in-wall with a Velleman Laboratoruy ps (PS613), that I remembered I had lying around (it is a bit big to have in the rack...) But it is a tremendous change in sound quality, bass is tighter, maybe even deeper, more 'air' in the midrange and treble areas - definately an improvement over the stock unit. Moreso than different coax-cables. The sound of the builtin DAC may also improve, as I thought it a bit 'closed in', 'tight' compared to my Theta DS Pro Prime DAC.

Tha_Shiznit
2007-03-27, 12:34
What do you think about this?

http://sjostromaudio.com/_unsql/hifi/jsr06/index.html

http://sjostromaudio.com/_unsql/hifi/jsr03/index.html

mangew
2007-03-28, 01:43
Yep, have looked at Sjöström audios powersupplys. Have tried to get price for these but i´t isn´t easy. The seller didn´t want to give any exactly prices.

mangew
2007-03-30, 15:14
I have probably found out from what i will make my power supply, but as i understand the values of V and A can be adjusted pretty exactly to optimal.

So what is the recommended V and A?

I Think i have seen 5.15V and somwhere near 3A? Right?

Jitterbug
2007-03-31, 09:07
You just need 1A of power, although it will do no harm if you have 3A. And 5.15V will do perfectly.

lucas72
2007-04-30, 04:39
I recently bought class-T amplifier with PS here:

http://www.autocostruire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=264&language=en

They are very nice guys, I'm sure they can explain how to change voltage from factory 13,6V to 5V (If don't already know :o) ).

HTH

peranders
2007-05-02, 23:40
Yep, have looked at Sjöström audios powersupplys. Have tried to get price for these but i´t isn´t easy. The seller didn´t want to give any exactly prices.
It can vary quite a lot due to taste and where you live, that's why I usually don't give a complete cost. It can vary also if you have stuff in your junk drawers, you live in China, USA, Sweden etc. Both designs aren't especially expensive when it comes to parts.