PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer v6.5.1 has broken Unicode support

scratchy
2007-03-08, 23:33
I just upgraded from 6.5.0 to 6.5.1. Now, all international (Russian/Cyrillic) characters in the song info (flac+mp3) are not recognized by SlimServer, for example, in Artists view I get:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ? A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

where the "?" contains some of Russian artists, but not all.

This is so lame, and I'm so very upset that amatures that know jack about I18N are messing up SlimServer!

scratchy
2007-03-08, 23:42
Downgraded to 6.5.0, and now I get:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z А Б В Г Д Е Ж З И К Л М Н О П Р С Т У Ф Х Ч Ш Э Ю

what it should be. Dammit.

tyler_durden
2007-03-09, 00:16
Is profanity necessary?

TD

scratchy
2007-03-09, 01:35
??, ?????.

ymilner
2007-03-09, 04:18
I have seen this also in 6.5.2. What happens is that if you stop Slimserver, delete the cache directory and start it again, the following full rescan will bring the artist list back to normal, with both latin and cyrillic letters appearing in the pointer string.
Then, at some point after normal rescan, the cyrillic letters dissapear from this line.
Someone should open a bug about that...

ganjastone
2007-03-09, 04:48
Same goes for hebrew characters

ymilner
2007-03-09, 07:25
Same goes for hebrew characters, though I would pick diffrent wording to describe the problem
Try then:)

ganjastone
2007-03-19, 16:01
ymiler, why won't you open a bug for this?

ymilner
2007-03-22, 01:31
ymiler, why won't you open a bug for this?

That's because I can't reliably reproduce it. I've tried several things, and so far I couldn't spot an exact sequence of events that leads to this problem.
I have several bugs opened where I did provide complete information - and they are not fixed yet. So the chance of fixing this one is really small.
So far you can try my workaround - stop the server, clear the cache directory, start the server. Works for me.

ganjastone
2007-03-22, 04:36
That's because I can't reliably reproduce it. I've tried several things, and so far I couldn't spot an exact sequence of events that leads to this problem.
I have several bugs opened where I did provide complete information - and they are not fixed yet. So the chance of fixing this one is really small.
So far you can try my workaround - stop the server, clear the cache directory, start the server. Works for me.

I cannot reproduce it either with an exact sequence of events, however most of the time it appears to be broken. I think even if you open a bug with your workaround, it can help a developer understand the problem. In addition we (any one with non English songs) can vote that we are interested in a fix.

My experience with voted bugs is that they are fixed over time.

y360
2007-03-22, 05:18
I have the same issue. After initial scan the artists show under Hebrew characters properly, but at some point later on the Hebrew characters are gone and I see a single '?' instead. I was unable to to figure out any specific action that triggered this. I use 6.5.2 nightly of 3/20

gsalton
2007-03-23, 02:23
I put in a bug at one point, but was told it was a perl problem. That seems strange though because it did work in a previous version. This is very annoying.

ymilner
2007-03-23, 03:13
I have filed a bug request:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4851

Since there is no certainty about how does this happen, the least every one interested could do, is to add there as much details as possible, as well as vote for this bug.

Go ahead!

Ben Sandee
2007-03-23, 06:44
On 3/23/07, ymilner <ymilner.2nw86z1174644901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I have filed a bug request:
>
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4851

I suggest you add a track to the bug that triggers this problem -- otherwise
it will be even harder for them to reproduce.

Ben

ymilner
2007-03-23, 07:41
On 3/23/07, ymilner <ymilner.2nw86z1174644901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I have filed a bug request:
>
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4851

I suggest you add a track to the bug that triggers this problem -- otherwise
it will be even harder for them to reproduce.

Ben

There is no track that triggers this - we don't know what trigers it at all. it's the library and the way it is scanned, I suppose.

ymilner
2007-03-26, 00:54
It is kind of strange to me, that after so many people have shown interest in this problem, there is still my single vote on the bug report! I was asked to open the bug request, I did it, and now suddenly nobody cares! I'm not talking about adding details to the case, but at least a vote...

(OK, I'm not that p..ed out really, but do express you interest in this problem fixing by adding your votes :) )

And, I have found out that in my case restarting the server solves the problem, for a while. Is it so with everybody else?

ganjastone
2007-04-02, 16:35
It is kind of strange to me, that after so many people have shown interest in this problem, there is still my single vote on the bug report! I was asked to open the bug request, I did it, and now suddenly nobody cares! I'm not talking about adding details to the case, but at least a vote...

(OK, I'm not that p..ed out really, but do express you interest in this problem fixing by adding your votes :) )

And, I have found out that in my case restarting the server solves the problem, for a while. Is it so with everybody else?

Restarting solves it. I voted. please vote guys.

pankotskii
2007-04-04, 12:27
I downgraded to 6.5.0. Cyrillic still does not work. I tried to clear cache directore of slimserver. Still nothing. Any idea?

ymilner
2007-04-04, 12:37
I downgraded to 6.5.0. Cyrillic still does not work. I tried to clear cache directore of slimserver. Still nothing. Any idea?

So you might have a totally different problem. What exactly does not work? This one is about an ABC pointer line in "artist", "genre" or other web views, which sometimes replaces unicode letters ith question mark. Otherwise, me (and others, probably), do not have problems with files, tagged and/or named with unicode characters.

pankotskii
2007-04-04, 13:16
I have a problem with showing cyrillic in the albums list in SlimServer. I did not have this problem with the earliest version. I have not been using slim server for a while (moved to a different state), now I installed 6.5.1 then 6.5.2 and then downgraded to 6.5.0 but still can't see my russian cyrillic albums.

pankotskii
2007-04-04, 13:17
Instead I show some unreadable characters.

pankotskii
2007-04-06, 11:11
See previous two postings.

ymilner
2007-04-06, 14:26
Are you on Windows? What's your locale settings? Are the file names in cyrillic? Do you see them correctly via Explorer?

crisp
2007-04-06, 19:08
I have a lot of Russian and Greek CDs. I use WMA lossless, and they show up perfectly in Windows Media Player 10. None of them show up i slimserver or the SB3 6.5.1. I had a long back and forth with Slim Devices tech. support. They could not solve the problem. Neither can I. I vote for a bug report.

I'll be happy to send a Greek CD illustrating the problem to whoever will fix the bug.

snarlydwarf
2007-04-06, 19:37
I have the same issue. After initial scan the artists show under Hebrew characters properly, but at some point later on the Hebrew characters are gone and I see a single '?' instead. I was unable to to figure out any specific action that triggered this. I use 6.5.2 nightly of 3/20

Hrrm.. that implies something else is changing it...

Do you use the iTunes/MusicMagic type plugins at all?

ymilner
2007-04-06, 23:01
Hrrm.. that implies something else is changing it...

Do you use the iTunes/MusicMagic type plugins at all?

See this bug report (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4851); he (and most of this thread postsers) are describing an ABC pointer line in the WEB UI