PDA

View Full Version : PDA as Remote

spooley
2007-03-08, 12:24
I recently purchased an SB3. I do most of my listening on the main level of my house while my computer and stereo stack are in the basement. I would therefore like to use a remote that has a display that will allow me to do the following:

-create playlists, mainly by scrolling through artists and then adding an artist's entire set of songs or drilling down and then adding a particular album from the artist
-play, pause, skip to next song

I do NOT need to see album art on the remote. I note that many comments in the forums indicate that pda screens are generally too small to use as a remote, but I think these are mainly referring to situations where album art is being viewed.

Anyone care to comment on how functional a typical pda would be for the use I am suggesting? Also if you have recommendations for which pda to go with I would appreciate it.

azinck3
2007-03-08, 12:47
I recently purchased an SB3. I do most of my listening on the main level of my house while my computer and stereo stack are in the basement. I would therefore like to use a remote that has a display that will allow me to do the following:

-create playlists, mainly by scrolling through artists and then adding an artist's entire set of songs or drilling down and then adding a particular album from the artist
-play, pause, skip to next song

I do NOT need to see album art on the remote. I note that many comments in the forums indicate that pda screens are generally too small to use as a remote, but I think these are mainly referring to situations where album art is being viewed.

Anyone care to comment on how functional a typical pda would be for the use I am suggesting? Also if you have recommendations for which pda to go with I would appreciate it.

My personal recommendation would be to try to put the squeezebox in the living room. I've yet to use a control interface for the squeezebox that works anywhere near as well as the IR remote. But if that's not possible then I think your best bet is to get a pda that will run slimremote http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=912&kategorie=slim

Slimremote is fast and free, but I don't think it supports rhapsody control, and it certainly doesn't support squeezenetwork. So if either of those matter to you then be sure to get a PDA with decent web browsing capabilities. Unfortunately, the best web-browsing devices I know are the nokia770/800 but at this point they can't run slimremote, so you're stuck using the web interface for everything on these devices. This is not horrible, especially in light of the nokia770 skin, but it's certainly a lot slower than using slimremote.

In summary: get a pda that supports slimremote if you will mainly play music from your local server. Consider a nokia770/800 if you will primarily use squeezenetwork and rhapsody.

Brian Ritchie
2007-03-08, 16:53
Occasionally I use my iPaq h220 (quite old now) with a wireless card, and just use the Handheld skin in the web browser. This only shows artwork in the Status page, which just shows the current track anyway (OK, I think it's also the only place that has the play/pause/stop controls). The browse and playlist pages don't use artwork.

I find it works quite well, except that I'm normally used to Fishbone and miss the add/play Next buttons. Also, the WiFi card hammers the iPaq's battery, and tends to get confused if I turn the iPaq off and on again, so I end up leaving it in its cradle a lot of the time. Somehow, the cradle is never in a convenient place!

Oh, and the WiFi card only does WEP, so I can't use WPA on my network.

To be honest though, most of the time I use the web interface from a laptop - it's only when SWMBO is hogging it that I switch to the iPaq!

-- Brian

tyler_durden
2007-03-08, 17:07
I have used my wife's Palm TX to control slimserver without attempting to display cover art. The biggest problem is that the browser does not cache web pages because of the limited storage in the PDA (even with a 2GB SD card plugged in) so pages have to reload every time you change from one to another. This makes the whole thing pretty slow.

Otherwise, it works fine.

I ultimately switched to an old tablet PC that runs win2k with a real web browser. The extra screen size allows album art to be displayed and the browser caches the web pages so I can switch between them more or less instantly. The tablet cost about as much as a PDA. See it here: http://mark.rehorst.com/Audio_System/index.htm

TD