PDA

View Full Version : Play tracks without adding them to the database?

coldslabs
2007-03-07, 10:04
Sorry if this is has been answered, but search seems to be broken this morning.

-------------------

Is there a way to play files without adding them to the database? Sometimes I want to listen to podcasts (local files) or audiobooks and I don't want them added to the database for the long term.

I'd love the option to set up a directory of "temporary files" that I could access through 'browse' and play on demand without adding to the database.

Any suggestions?

ds2021
2007-03-07, 11:31
Use the Browse Music Folder option available through the web interface or the remote control. As long as your temporary folder is a sub-folder of your Slimserver music directory, this provides a very simple way to access files quickly.

ceejay
2007-03-07, 11:37
Use the Browse Music Folder option available through the web interface or the remote control. As long as your temporary folder is a sub-folder of your Slimserver music directory, this provides a very simple way to access files quickly.

Thats ok up to a point, but the tracks will be added to the database if you do this - you'll need to do a full clear and rescan to get rid of them afterwards (though you could do this on a scheduled scan, say 2:00 every morning, to clean up...)

Ceejay

coldslabs
2007-03-07, 11:43
@DS2021
As Ceejay pointed out, using BROWSE BY MUSIC FOLDER will add the items to my database, which is what I am trying to avoid.

@CEEJAY
A scheduled rescan is a good idea, but I put my server to sleep during idle times, so that isn't an ideal solution.

TimothyB
2007-03-07, 12:20
This thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33291

talks about streaming the Windows sound output to the SqueezeBox. You could play the podcast or whatever in something like Winamp and then get it to the SB. Only problem is that you have to control start, stop and track selection through your PC.

-- Timothy

peter
2007-03-08, 01:33
ceejay wrote:
> ds2021;186256 Wrote:
>
>> Use the Browse Music Folder option available through the web interface
>> or the remote control. As long as your temporary folder is a sub-folder
>> of your Slimserver music directory, this provides a very simple way to
>> access files quickly.
>>
>
> Thats ok up to a point, but the tracks will be added to the database if
> you do this - you'll need to do a full clear and rescan to get rid of
> them afterwards (though you could do this on a scheduled scan, say 2:00
> every morning, to clean up...)
>

Exactly. It would be nice if the server settings would allow us to
specify a 'temp' path . Files underneath this path would not be added to
the db even if played thru 'Music Folder'.

Regards,
Peter

coldslabs
2007-03-08, 09:04
If you are interested in seeing this functionality, vote for the bug:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4814

Thanks for your input.