PDA

View Full Version : refresh track information etc

willyhoops
2007-03-07, 02:16
I am really sorry for a question that 1000 people must ask but it's not in the online help and i can't find it with search the forums...

When I copy new folders of music or delete folders of music from the slimserver directory how do i tell slim server to rebuild its database of whats available? I am finding that I can only access music via the "music folder" browsing option as everything else is a mess with many things either missing or present when they shouldn't be. Am I supposed to reboot the PC? It's a server hosting a web site so I would prefer not to do this...

mherger
2007-03-07, 03:00
> I am really sorry for a question that 1000 people must ask but it's not
> in the online help and i can't find it with search the forums...

Hmm... rather astonishing, as this really has been discussed many times
before. Go to Server Settings, there (at the bottom of the page) you'll
find a button to rescan your collection.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

beckjazz
2007-03-07, 05:12
Hmm - rather astonishing how some senior members behave
Give the guy a break. He said he was sorry!!

slimpy
2007-03-07, 05:40
Hmm - rather astonishing how some senior members behave
Give the guy a break. He said he was sorry!!
I don't think Michael wanted to sound sarcastic but rather surprised. And he did answer the question after all.
It is indeed surprising that the search didn't bring up any relevant information.
Michael is one of the most helpful guys on the forum and I don't recall ever reading an offending post by him.
What I find quite astonishing is the way you introduced yourself to the forum.

-s.

beckjazz
2007-03-07, 06:29
As you can see it was not meant to be an introduction, just a comment on existing forum raction to "newbies".

As a confirmed Squeezebox/Slimserver fanatic I am looking forward to making a contribution to this forum. My apologies.

Max F
2007-03-07, 20:34
Back off of Michael, he's one of the good guys. He goes out of his way to help us all. I'm sure he was surprised that this info wasn't easily found in a search or the Wiki.

mherger
2007-03-08, 00:49
> I'm sure he was surprised that this info wasn't easily
> found in a search or the Wiki.

I really _was_ surprised, as there are so many threads asking "why do I
have to scan...?" etc. But I have to admit that it's sometimes hard to get
the right key words when searching for a problem on a topic rather new to
you. If you don't know it's called a "scan" in SlimServer you really may
be lost (BTW: I still haven't found a good German translation for that
expression...).

I hope the OP did get the answer anyway :-).

--

Michael

willyhoops
2007-03-08, 01:28
the search on these forums is so unreliable. ok i wanted to find my message and i type "willyhoops" into the search and it gets no hits. then i get an advanced screen where i can search by user and again no hits. note it will get hits now i see because it only searches the body of the message not the username. almost all these php forums are a pain in neck but i would have though logitech could do better. which php nerd didn't think to put a link to all the messges you have posted or to email replies with links in. microsoft don't make this mistake on thier forums by the way - but then again they would also not have forgotton to run slim server as a service by default and have an easier way to refresh from the web gui.

in the frequently asked questions i don't see info on how to refresh the collection. i think it would make life easier to have a few screen shots and a introduction to the product. i never saw a gui in there just a start, stop and open option on the right hand mouse.

i could do with some scanning advice as well. should i use wma or flac? ok i have learnt from web searches that if you use wma it gets uncompressed and recompressed to flac by the pc when squeezebox requests a track tying up cpu time. but how much time did i waste finding that info? then which nerd decided to use flac ... windows media player doesn't even play it by default and it has no album art. what a pain to keep my stuff in that. what happens if my network gets busy- do i see an error on slimserver or my music starting going downhill without me knowing? what do i do with muti cd collections? put each cd in a separate directory or put together? i used dbpowerAmp to rip some CDs and the singers and orchestras came out in the artist name so on the squeezebox i could not see composers only performers. deleted all that and will have another go this weekend. squeezebox shows album art for some of my stuff. how do i add album art when its missing? it's a big learning cure all this ripping stuff and this web site makes no effort to bring me up the curve quickly.

i am not asking for answers to all this but how about an idiots guide to ripping your music collection and using the squeezebox posted somewhere everyone (including my mother) could find in a few seconds if they bought this product?

i bought this product from the big london department store john lewis here in the uk. the chap at the counter laughed becuase the customer before me was returning his squeezebox and ranting about how it ruined his weekend. the assistant said don't let it ruin mine - no questions asked refund available!

ModelCitizen
2007-03-08, 01:45
No one mentioned that if you add a new album/directory, browse to it via "Browse Music Folder" and add it to your playlist that this gets SlimSefver to add it to it's database... saves rescanning every time you add music (which can be a painfully long process for some set ups).

The forum search does leave a lot to be desired. Any search with the word "Slimserver" in it just seems to return a blank page (which is very annoying if, for instance, you want to find out how to change the title in the slimserver web gui home page!).

There is not hint of admonishment in Michael's first post. Try reading it again.

MC

mherger
2007-03-08, 02:25
> i could do with some scanning advice as well. should i sue wma or flac?

FLAC. SB can't play lossless WMA.

> what do i do with muti cd collections? put each cd in a separate
> directory or put together?

I use separate folders. But make sure the tagging's correct.

> how about an idiots guide to ripping your music collection and using
> the squeezebox?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

Under "where to go next" there are the most usefull links on ripping etc.

--

Michael

willyhoops
2007-03-08, 11:04
...but after looking at for a while i could not find any server settings. i just called tech support by phone and they explained that its on the web interface half way down the page. maybe i am blind and stupid but i have been looking at this for two days trying to figure out where that was! i thought the web site was just for playing music.

Siduhe
2007-03-08, 11:36
The web interface is certainly the easiest way to adjust the Server Settings IMHO, but there is also a Settings menu on the Squeezebox which allows you to access a lot of the main settings.

If you have not adjusted the menu configuration, it will be one of the options in the top level of the SB menu, near the Plugins menu. Just scroll down with the remote.

munka
2007-03-08, 11:38
Hi all. My first post to the group. I'm glad you're here.
This thread is pretty recent and relates to my problem, so I thought I'd just continue the thread. If this violates protocol, please let me know.
I've been using slimserver and squeezebox for about a month - love it in general. I've been gradually ripping my cd collection - 2 to 10 a day. I'm ripping to WMA as I'm most comfortable and familiar with Windows Media Player, and can set up playlists in WMP easily. I store my playlists and music in the same directory/folder.
I found the rescan timer setting eventually (under plug-ins - not too hard to find but not very intuitive, I've got to say).
I've got the timer set to rescan evernight morning at 12:00 am.

The problem: Slimserver doesnt' update my playlists overnight. Am I missing something? Does anyone else have problems with the automatic re-scan plug-in?

Thanks in advance.

Munka

Siduhe
2007-03-08, 12:08
Munka,

How are the playlists created ? I'm guessing from what you are saying, they are being created automatically somehow (otherwise why would they need to be updated) ?

Itunes / MusicMagic ? Using one of Erland's plugins like Dynamic Playlists ?

Also, what setup (version of Slimserver) OS (Windows assuming you're using WMP, but XP or something else) ?

munka
2007-03-08, 12:52
Thanks. I'm creating the playlists myself, using Windows Media Player (WMP). I find it easier to create the playlist using WMP than Slimserver for a number of reasons, the biggest is that I'm creating the playlist at a different computer than slimserver is running and can't listen to the song before I add to a playlist on slimserver.

I'velooked at the playlist itself using a text editor, and it (the playlist) is in html code (here's a song entry "<media src="\\SERVER\Maxtor Music\Music\Cartel de Santa\Cartel_de_Santa-Blah_Blah_Blah.mp3"/>
").
Slimserver 6.5.1, Windows XP

I just noticed something. I've got my playlists in the same folder as all my music, in a separate folder called "My Playlists" (how original). I've got all the music and playlists on a separate drive (G:) in a folder called "Music". But slimserver was set up to look for playlists and music in G://Music. Do I need to be more specific about the location of the playlist folder (G://Music/Playlists)? I assumed slimserver would find the playlists if I told it G://Music.

I've just changed the slimserver setting to look for the playlists, but won't know until tomorrow if it is fixed. Maybe you'll tell me I fixed it now! That would be very good indeed.

Thanks again

Siduhe
2007-03-09, 02:37
munka,

Hope you got it sorted, but I wonder if there is a typo in your post. If you are using a mapped network drive, i.e. the "G" drive, then the syntax you need is "G:\Music" not "G://Music".

This may be responsible for the problems you are having.

I would try "G:\Music\Playlists" (although G:\Music should still work, although you may find it also creates you a playlist of every album in your G:\Music folder).

If you get "oops, "G:\Music\Playlists" isn't a valid folder" you may need to try UNC path which will be something like "\\SERVER\Maxtor Music\Music\Playlists".

munka
2007-03-09, 07:52
Siduhe,

thanks for the response. I do have the file called out correctly (g:\music\playlists). But I am having trouble with the automatice rescan. I added a couple of songs yesterday (downloaded mp3's from salon.com). The rescan plug-in is set to "look for new and changed music" at 12:00am every 24 hours. The rescan timer is set to on.
When I checked this morning, the new songs have not been added to slimserver. So I think the issue is the rescan plugin rather than my file names or file locations.

Can you help?

Thanks again - glad you're there.

Munka

Siduhe
2007-03-09, 10:04
munka,

I would set the unit to do a full clear and rescan. In my experience, look for new and changed music can be a little hit and miss - often it's something as simple as the date / time filestamp on the files being earlier than the last scan.

A full clear and rescan doesn't take that much long then the incremental scan (since the incremental scan still has to scan each file to work out which are new and which are old).

If you try that, does it sort the problem out ?

Finally, I don't know salon.com, but I assume the files are DRM free (podcasts perhaps) ?