PDA

View Full Version : Internet radio with Slimserver?

CrispyXUK
2007-03-06, 12:33
Is there a reason I can't connect to internet radio streams unless the slimserver is powered up? The Squeezebox always turns off when I turn the slimserver off. I swear it never used to.

andyg
2007-03-06, 12:33
Connect to SqueezeNetwork if you'd like to listen to radio without SlimServer.

CrispyXUK
2007-03-06, 13:11
Connect to SqueezeNetwork if you'd like to listen to radio without SlimServer.

Yes but I can't use my squeezebox at all unless the slimserver PC is on even though its connected wirelessly to a router which handles the internet connection, have I missed a setting?

CrispyXUK
2007-03-06, 14:01
Shouldn't I at least see the time or RSS feeds without the slim server being powered up?

andyg
2007-03-06, 14:15
Yes, if you're on SqueezeNetwork. Hold left, and from the firmware setup menu, select Connect to SqueezeNetwork.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-08, 13:33
Yes but I can't use my squeezebox at all unless the slimserver PC is on even though its connected wirelessly to a router which handles the internet connection, have I missed a setting?

No, that's the way it works.

You need to be either connected to SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork. If you turn off your SlimServer PC when you are connected to it, your player screen will say "Problem: can't connect to SlimServer" then turn off.

As the companies' original name implies, the player is a slim device, it can't do very much on its own and needs to be connected to a server at all times, either SqueezeNetwork or SlimServer.

What you were probably seeing before is that you were connected to SqueezeNetwork. When you turned the player off, it was still connected to SqueezeNetwork. When you switch back to SlimServer and you turn the SlimServer PC off the screen goes blank.