PDA

View Full Version : Can u help?

Bob
2007-03-05, 12:27
Hi there.
I am looking to set up a facility where i can play music from one location (using OTSDJ) and send this over the internet via broadband (in the UK) to a remote location...

I have been led to believe that a Squeezebox is the best product for this...?

1. Is this true?
2. Has anyone successfully set up a remote site such as this?
3. Can anyone please help me in how this would be set up?

Thanks very much...

Bob
2007-03-06, 03:19
Just to add... if the Squeezebox isn't the best product, could you kind people of infinitely more knowledge let me know what you have found to be the best product for the job...?

Thanks a million...

Nikhil
2007-03-06, 04:22
I'm not really familiar with OTSDJ at all. From a cursory inspection of the website, it appears to be a software for automated DJing. While SlimServer / Squeezebox can be used to listen to your music collection over the internet - and most effectively at that, I very much doubt it is what you are looking for or need in this particular case.

Perhaps you are mistaking this for Shoutcast? Shoutcast is a piece of software thar can interface with your DJ software and be configured to stream your output over the internet.

http://otsdj.com/doc/webdoc/ (search for how to integrate the shoutcast plugin)
http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml

HTH

P.S... I was wondering why someone would have suggested a SqueezeBox for the purpose - perhaps someone is confusing the term with the SlingBox from http://www.slingmedia.com - a device that is used to watch your television remotely. It is very simple to configure it to not send video at all, but instead send audio at a desired bandwidth - simply plug in the RCA outputs of your audio source into the RCA inputs of the SlingBox, make sure all the internet ports are correctly configured as per their instructions, and then download the free Slingplayer software at the client end.

Bob
2007-03-06, 04:26
Hi there. Not getting it confused with Shoutcast, just using this as the playout software and thought by mentioning it, it might assist someone in knowing the best solution!

If Squeezebox isnt the best product, do you know what is?

Thanks!

Nikhil
2007-03-06, 04:33
Please see my edited link above

Bob
2007-03-06, 04:45
but this is then dependent on a PC being at the other end surely? I am looking for a self contained unit that does not need a PC....

bonze
2007-03-06, 04:52
Are you asking whether a Squeezebox can play Shoutcast?
In which case the answer is yes :)

Nikhil
2007-03-06, 05:02
Hmmm ...

OK, so u can have OTSDJ+Shoutcast at one end, and then setup a Squeezebox at the other end to receive the stream from this. You could probably use Squeezenetwork to set up your Shoutcast station as a favourite - so you won't need a computer running once the initial setup is done.

There will also shortly be a solution using the SlingBox. Slingmedia are releasing a hardware device called SlingCatcher which will directly connect to your TV & stereo so you can remotely watch without using a PC - but that is a few months away.

Bob
2007-03-06, 05:07
OK, thanks! I think I may get a demo from them just to see how easy it is to set up (for a novice) and to connect up to.

Thanks for your help

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-06, 08:06
I'm sure not many of us have tried this, but...I have access to a remote SlimServer at the moment.

This works just fine with a Squeezebox!

In network setup, you specify the IP address of the SlimServer. This is always assumed to be on your LAN, but you can specify a remote IP address here. It works perfectly. And you can revert back to your local SlimServer in a few seconds.

Of course, you are subject to Internet bandwidth, so bitrate limiting may be necessary, but this works perfectly fine as well.

Now this is for playback through SlimServer, which would be much more powerful than DJ software. If you wanted to play back through DJ software the user wouldn't have much control but it would be easy to do as an Internet radio stream, either through the user's local SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork. But try out the SlimServer/remote Squeezebox method, it works amazingly well from what I just tried out a few minutes ago.

Bob
2007-03-06, 08:10
Cool, thanks Mark. Just to clarify, the user would not need/have control over the output, it is just for listening. The control would be at this end...

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-06, 08:14
Cool, thanks Mark. Just to clarify, the user would not need/have control over the output, it is just for listening. The control would be at this end...

Yes, should work like any Internet radio stream then.

The Squeezebox handles this pretty well but you are subject to traffic patterns on the Internet.

It opens up a new possibility though - depending how much control you want (and the end user will let you have!) you could actually control his player from your end. You could start/stop the player, adjust its volume, turn it off, redirect it to another stream, etc.

Bob
2007-03-06, 08:17
I would need the audio to be pretty much spot on all the time... is this something that happens a lot??? This is assuming that we are sending over a 1/2 meg line to one with a leased line...

??!

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-06, 08:22
I would need the audio to be pretty much spot on all the time... is this something that happens a lot??? This is assuming that we are sending over a 1/2 meg line to one with a leased line...

??!

By 1/2 meg I assume you mean 512 kbps...that's pretty tight to be streaming media.

128 kbps is the defacto standard for streaming audio, but it may be a bit tight for that connection. You will, of course, never get 512 kbps exactly. Do some speed tests, you will find you probably get around 300 kbps. That 128 kbps stream will use half your bandwidth, you may not be able to weather the merest blip.

Try 96 kbps or (shudder) 64 kbps.

Bob
2007-03-06, 08:24
OK Mark... many thanks