Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spookykinkajou
    • Mar 2007

Slimserver won't start on mac os x

Everything has been lovely for the first month of ownership of the squeezebox 3. But just tonight I restarted my computer, and upon rebooting I discovered the squeezebox was asleep and slimserver won't start. If I hit the start button it just goes back to start server after a few seconds of showing stop server.

I tried intalling a different version. It still does not work

It does connect to the squeezenetwork no problem.

It seems to be in OS X to me but perhaps it's the squeezebox...

Thanks for any help.
  • kphinney
    • Feb 2007

Last resort...

...uninstall Slimserver, delete the preferences, reinstall. That was how I solved the same problem. This will wipe out any customizations you made so record your settings. The pref file you need to delete is "user"/Library/SlimDevices/slimserver.pref

By any chance were you tweaking the SlimServer's web interface? Mine experienced the drop out after trying new skins - none of which were as nice as the stock.
    I like it, you may not. I understand and respect that.

Comment

• Spookykinkajou
      • Mar 2007

If by deleting you mean dragging the slim devices folder in to the trash and deleting, then I did that. I then reinstalled 6.5.2 and it still does the same thing. I tried deleting the .pref file a bit ago and when I tried to start the server again it just recreated it but still does not work.

The only thing I've changed on my sb3 was I downloaded a plugin called SUPERDATETIME today. When the sb3 stopped working I thought maybe that was related so I removed it. obviously, it still does not work and the plugin is gone.

any ideas?

Comment

• kphinney
        • Feb 2007

Let's see if it's an issue with your user prefs: Open your System Preferences and create a new user. Log into this user and install the SS software. Since you can set it so is starts on boot it shouldn't matter who has the SS server running.

Comment

• Spookykinkajou
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kphinney
          Let's see if it's an issue with your user prefs: Open your System Preferences and create a new user. Log into this user and install the SS software. Since you can set it so is starts on boot it shouldn't matter who has the SS server running.
          It works fine with a different log in

Comment

• kphinney
            • Feb 2007

Are you good with letting it run under a new user? It shouldn't affect the Mac's performance. To be honest, I'm at the limit of my knowledge. It appears that some preference is in conflict with another, but I don't know how to resolve it. You can set the server to start at boot and forget about it.
            Sorry I couldn't help ID the issue more.

Comment

• Spookykinkajou
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kphinney
              Are you good with letting it run under a new user? It shouldn't affect the Mac's performance. To be honest, I'm at the limit of my knowledge. It appears that some preference is in conflict with another, but I don't know how to resolve it. You can set the server to start at boot and forget about it.
              Sorry I couldn't help ID the issue more.
              I suppose I could but I would prefer it to work as it did before. There should be no reason why it can't.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• kphinney
                • Feb 2007

Best of luck and please let me know if you find a fix.

Comment

• danco
                  • Apr 2005

It's not clear to me what versions of SlimServer you have been using. I believe there was a change in the caching between some versions, and this has caused trouble for some people.

Anyway it can't do any harm to delete the cache, though it may not help.

It's at ~/Library/Caches/SlimServer

Comment

• Spookykinkajou
                    • Mar 2007

this worked! thanks.

Sorry about the version confusion. I had the released version for mac os x but then when the problem ocurred I downloaded the nightly release that was available on the slimserver webpage.

Comment

Working...