PDA

View Full Version : Nice device but can it also talk to me?

i_have_a_question
2007-03-04, 17:34
I heard there is a plugin to alert me when I receive new mail. Can I make a suggestion? Is it possible to please modify the box so that it can read the e-mail out loud (and can I also request a sexy female speach engine voice please)? It would be real cool if there were a button on the remote control that tells it to start reading (to prevent it from rudly interrupting the music)?

Just a thought. Thanks.

P.S. In a year's time I will request a button to tell the coffee machine to start warming up but don't worry yet, there's plenty of thime for that.

peter
2007-03-04, 23:47
i_have_a_question wrote:
> I heard there is a plugin to alert me when I receive new mail. Can I
> make a suggestion? Is it possible to please modify the box so that it
> can read the e-mail out loud (and can I also request a sexy female
> speach engine voice please)? It would be real cool if there were a
> button on the remote control that tells it to start reading (to prevent
> it from rudly interrupting the music)?
>

Shouldn't be too difficult using festival
http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

> Just a thought. Thanks.
>
> P.S. In a year's time I will request a button to tell the coffee
> machine to start warming up but don't worry yet, there's plenty of
> thime for that.
>

Already been done, look for the bottle rocket plugin.

Regards,
Peter

i_have_a_question
2007-03-10, 18:08
Hi Peter, yes I realize that (well I didn't know about Festival) but there are many others around. But you can't make money with these -- yet. It would take a simple "plug and play" thing to bring this into the living room. And I would acutally spend money on this too. The difference from a music playing machine to a full voice interface isn't that big?

grimholtz
2007-03-10, 20:34
It would take a simple "plug and play" thing to bring this into the living room.
I've already got one in my living room (and bedroom, and other bedroom, and....)

Jump on the bandwagon already and get one.