PDA

View Full Version : Windows vs Linux - your OS of choice for SS

fast eddie
2007-03-04, 11:59
I know this must have been asked before but I was wondering what the prercentage is of Windows vs Linux as the OS of choice for running SS.

I am going to take the plunge into the world of Linux soon so I was just being curious.

pfarrell
2007-03-04, 12:03
fast eddie wrote:
> I know this must have been asked before but I was wondering what the
> prercentage is of Windows vs Linux as the OS of choice for running SS.

Since 95% of the world or so runs Windoze, if you ran such a poll, and
got even 93% SlimServer on Linux, it would be a very high amount.

Of course, all the smart folks say that Linux, BSD, etc. are the only
intellegent OS of choice for running a SS. I'll let the Mac fans chime
in that any non-Redmond OS is choice, and I'll agree.

All IMHO, of course.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Kevin O. Lepard
2007-03-04, 12:31
>I know this must have been asked before but I was wondering what the
>prercentage is of Windows vs Linux as the OS of choice for running SS.
>
>I am going to take the plunge into the world of Linux soon so I was
>just being curious.

I primarily run OS X and Slimserver has been trouble free from the
underlying OS standpoint going back to the days when SLIMP3 was their
only product.

I prefer the Linux/unix/BSD based operating systems to Windows
because the licensing agreements are not as onerous and I think they
are more approachable in the sense that they can be tinkered with and
debugged in a more consistent and straightforward manner. The
default configurations, while not invulnerable, tend to have less
exposure to outside attacks (particularly OpenBSD).

I like OS X because I think it has the best GUI on top of a unix
base. I like the Intel Apple hardware because you can run OS X,
Linux, *BSDs, and Windows on it all at native speeds. I'm very
interested in seeing the final VMWare virtualization product and
comparing that to Parallels and being able to run multiple virtual
machines on one set of hardware.

My experience running a variety of OSes (Windows, unix/linux/BSD, OS
X) is that Windows is the most problematic, but with the important
caveat that you'll almost always do best with the OS that you know
best.

If you're just looking to jump in to Linux you can get good
performance (including from Slimserver) from hardware that would not
give good performance with XP or Vista, so you can experiment with it
on an old system and keep your main system running (I infer from your
post) Windows.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

aubuti
2007-03-04, 12:52
Obviously it depends on a lot of factors. In our household we do almost all of our computer work on Windows-based laptops. But who wants slimserver to disappear when someone takes his/her laptop on a trip. So for slimserver I initially picked up a surplus Dell P3 (500MHz) desktop from work. Linux made the most sense because (a) it's easy to run without the GUI (or without monitor and keyboard either), thus saving on scarce RAM, and (b) it's easy to operate via telnet, so I can stash the Dell away in an obscure corner of the basement. I chose Ubuntu Linux for a variety of reasons. I now run my slimserver off a Buffalo Linkstation NAS, hacked to run debian linux, with the same advantages.

But if I only had one computer and no NAS, I would run slimserver on Windows because that's what I use for most of my other work.

Note that if you're looking to learn Linux, then slimserver isn't exactly a killer app. What I mean is, you set it up, and let it run. And run and run and run, without any user intervention, unless you're into getting all the nightly builds or something.

egd
2007-03-04, 13:17
To help you decide have a look at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33041

To me it's a no brainer.

jonheal
2007-03-04, 13:48
... Of course, all the smart folks say that Linux, BSD, etc. are the only intellegent OS of choice for running a SS ...

--
Pat

I guess that means I'm stupid.

tyler_durden
2007-03-04, 13:50
I run slimserver in both windoze 2k and ubuntu linux. At the moment this is because I am using the server machine as my main computer and have other apps that only run under windoze.

I have another machine that will be used as a stand-alone server and will be running some flavor of linux. I will select the linux based on the availability of install packages for slimserver. I don't want to hassle with downloading binaries and compiling it myself, and support for the existing packages should be better now and in the future. If you use linux that can install the existing packages, you should be able to get automatic updates.

For a stand-alone, dedicated server, linux is the way to go. It will run for months without a reboot. Try running winows for a few days without a reboot!- everytime a security hole is fixed you have to reboot. Linux is relatively safe from external threats such as viruses, etc., that target windows systems. Set it up and forget it. That's how a server should be.

TD

peter
2007-03-04, 13:51
fast eddie wrote:
> I know this must have been asked before but I was wondering what the
> prercentage is of Windows vs Linux as the OS of choice for running SS.
>
> I am going to take the plunge into the world of Linux soon so I was
> just being curious.
>
> p.s. I tried to do a poll but I couldnt figure out how to do it :o
>

Well, most of the systems in the "Everything is running fine" thread
recently seemed to be running some form of Unix based OS...

Regards,
Peter

pfarrell
2007-03-04, 13:53
jonheal wrote:
> I guess that means I'm stupid.

no, you seem to have missed
All IMHO, of course.

and the implied :-), :-P, etc

--
Pat

Secret Squirrel
2007-03-04, 14:49
I run slimserver in both windoze 2k and ubuntu linux. At the moment this is because I am using the server machine as my main computer and have other apps that only run under windoze.

I have another machine that will be used as a stand-alone server and will be running some flavor of linux. I will select the linux based on the availability of install packages for slimserver. I don't want to hassle with downloading binaries and compiling it myself, and support for the existing packages should be better now and in the future. If you use linux that can install the existing packages, you should be able to get automatic updates.

For a stand-alone, dedicated server, linux is the way to go. It will run for months without a reboot. Try running winows for a few days without a reboot!- everytime a security hole is fixed you have to reboot. Linux is relatively safe from external threats such as viruses, etc., that target windows systems. Set it up and forget it. That's how a server should be.

TD

I'm very much like you Tyler. Currently, I'm on Windows but have an old PIII machine right next to me that I'm loading Ubuntu on for purposes of an SS server. I have run SS on Michael Herger's SlimCD with wonderful results but am moving to a full "blown" linux installation.

cliveb
2007-03-05, 01:41
I used to run Slimserver on a dedicated FreeBSD machine that was built from bits I had lying around (500MHz AMD K6, 256 MB RAM). But then it occured to me that it was silly having two servers running 24/7, so I moved Slimserver to the household file/email/web/etc server (533MHz mini-ITX, 512MB RAM), which happens to run Windows 2000.

Slimserver has worked pretty much flawlessly on both machines. I've never understood why so many people seem to have problems getting it running reliably on Windows.

jonheal
2007-03-05, 05:51
jonheal wrote:
> I guess that means I'm stupid.

no, you seem to have missed
All IMHO, of course.

and the implied :-), :-P, etc

--
Pat

Well, I'm not that sensitive. I forgot to include a smiley myself.

But really, Windows isn't that big of a pain in the butt. I've run Slimserver on Windows 2000 and currently on XP. I have zero problems currently, although I did have to resolve a startup conflict with MS OneCare. I'm still at 6.3.1, but I have no need to upgrade further, and I'm not interested in Vista right now, either.

bklaas
2007-03-05, 08:29
If you had a working Linux machine at your house, would you consider either dual booting that machine so you could run slimserver in Windows, or even buying another machine mainly just to run slimserver in Windows?

of course not.

now, reverse that:

If you had a working Windows machine at your house, would you consider either dual booting that machine so you could run slimserver in Linux, or even buying another machine mainly just to run slimserver in Linux?

I see this scenario posted all the time on this forum.

The problem I see more often than not with Windows slimserver installations is that the users are employing all manner of other garbage on these machines-- some by choice: anti-virus, personal firewall; some not: viruses, spyware, malware, etc.. These often cause conflicts of interest with SS.

Linux tends to not be hampered by this stuff as much, somewhat by its design, but also because it caters to crazed tinkerers (myself included), who often have the knowledge to fix such things. Also, Linux's roots are with Unix, which excels in server capabilities. Windows can accomplish these things as well, but that's not where its heritage lies.

#!/ben

I run my house's slimserver (6.5 svn) on Gentoo Linux, the same machine I use for my desktop workstation
I currently develop slimserver skins (7.0 svn) on Ubuntu Linux (laptop)
I also have WinXP on a laptop, which I boot to when I have to

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-05, 09:06
I've never understood why so many people seem to have problems getting it running reliably on Windows.

Me too. It's stable for me and rescans are snappy, taking about 4 minutes for nearly 4000 tracks.

That said, I was experimenting with Ubuntu Linux back when SlimServer 6.5.0 was new and a lot of forum users were having problems with it. Because I was just playing around, I installed SlimServer on Ubuntu and it worked right away. I'm sure I could be happy with either OS - and I am NEVER installing Vista on anything I own, ever.

Still, from looking at the poll results, you would think that 85% of SlimServer users run Linux. That can't be truly representative...there are probably a higher proportion of Linux users here but reality would be closer to the other way around (optimistically!)

Pale Blue Ego
2007-03-05, 11:02
I've never understood why so many people seem to have problems getting it running reliably on Windows.

At one time I had my same server PC running Slimserver on Win2k, but the network shares kept disappearing and reappearing at various times. Never could figure it out.

With Linux and Samba, the networking is rock-solid, as is the rest of the OS. Funny that Samba, a reverse-engineered version of the Windows SMB protocol, works better than the real thing.

tedfroop
2007-03-05, 11:08
I am running both right now - dual boot XP and Ubuntu. Linux is definitly the faster of the two for scanning and updating. Having ripped a few disks with Sound Juicer I can say high quality ripping is faster and simpler in Linux as well.

fairyliquidizer
2007-03-05, 13:40
windows as it has EAC and a better version of MusicIP (I used to use Linux). I like to use my server for ripping. The only downside is the cost of the OS. Personally I think Linux is perfectly viable if you don't mind ripping on Windows. The MusicIP licence works on either platform.

Fairy

teal123
2007-03-11, 15:24
I use a single Ubuntu box for everything. slimserver, musicip, web serving, etc. And cdparanoia really excels at ripping your CDs. It can rip several CDs that I can't get to rip anywhere else. No pretty GUI but it works and gets perfect rips everytime.

windows as it has EAC and a better version of MusicIP (I used to use Linux). I like to use my server for ripping. The only downside is the cost of the OS. Personally I think Linux is perfectly viable if you don't mind ripping on Windows. The MusicIP licence works on either platform.

Fairy

davep
2007-03-11, 16:34
I use a single Ubuntu box for everything. slimserver, musicip, web serving, etc. And cdparanoia really excels at ripping your CDs. It can rip several CDs that I can't get to rip anywhere else. No pretty GUI but it works and gets perfect rips everytime.

Grip is a decent (although not pretty) front-end GUI for cdparanoia. Good for setting up and storing all of those long command strings for tagging, filing, replaygain, etc.

davep

agentsmith
2007-03-11, 20:34
It would be nice if someone can start a Wiki on dummies guide to maintaining Slimserver, with information such as installation of plugins, updating and other gotchas.

Instructions on installation of specific versions of Slimserver on specific embedded linux devices (e.g. NSLU3, Buffalo Linkstation) would be nice too.

My friend helped me to hack into my Buffalo Linkstation and installed Slimserver 6.2x. but I have no idea how to maintain it, update it, install plugins. And if it breaks, I would have no idea how to fix it.

This would be a great first step for someone to learn Linux.

agentsmith
2007-03-11, 20:51
It would be nice if someone can start a Wiki on dummies guide to maintaining Slimserver, with information such as installation of plugins, updating and other gotchas.

Instructions on installation of specific versions of Slimserver on specific embedded linux devices (e.g. NSLU3, Buffalo Linkstation) would be nice too.

My friend helped me to hack into my Buffalo Linkstation and installed Slimserver 6.2x. but I have no idea how to maintain it, update it, install plugins. And if it breaks, I would have no idea how to fix it.

This would be a great first step for someone to learn Linux.

Just check the Wiki and sure enough there is a Linux guide. But still an absolutely noob guide would ne very nice. may be even a forum just for annoying noobs like me.

bchesterman
2007-05-01, 11:28
"I use a single Ubuntu box for everything. slimserver, musicip, web serving, etc. And cdparanoia really excels at ripping your CDs. It can rip several CDs that I can't get to rip anywhere else. No pretty GUI but it works and gets perfect rips everytime."

teal123 - any chance this is a turbostation you are talking about (qnap). I have a TS-201 and would seriously like to get MusicMagicServer running but can't seem to get it going.