PDA

View Full Version : songs don't show in music folder

mlsstl
2007-03-04, 10:26
I ripped a four CD set (A Night Out with Verve) and it shows up in some spots, but not others. For example, the album title shows in music folders, but none of the disk subdirectories/songs appear. However, if you go in through genres (Jazz) everything is fine.

I tend to access the bulk of my collection through the music folders so the inability to see the album is annoying.

I've bumped into this from time to time with a few other albums.

Any clues? (I'm using an SB3 and the computer is Linux based (FC6 with Slimserver 6.5.1)

dcote
2007-03-04, 17:42
are you seeing this with compilations / misc. artist albums?

if yes, you are probabaly seeing this bug:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4516

should that be the case, you may want to vote for it.

best regards,

dom

snarlydwarf
2007-03-04, 19:02
I ripped a four CD set (A Night Out with Verve) and it shows up in some spots, but not others. For example, the album title shows in music folders, but none of the disk subdirectories/songs appear. However, if you go in through genres (Jazz) everything is fine.

If they don't show up in Browse Music Folder, then the most likely suspect is permission or naming issues. (Naming issues would be more likely if you ripped on one OS and moved to another... something like a colon is illegal on Windows but fine on Linux. Backslash is a nono on windows and annoying but legal on Linux. In this case my bet is permissions though.

Any clues? (I'm using an SB3 and the computer is Linux based (FC6 with Slimserver 6.5.1)

Does the Slimserver user have permissions to read/execute those directories? Check read permissions on files while you are there.

mlsstl
2007-03-04, 20:11
I don't think it is a permissions issue. Everything in my directory has the same ownership and permissions. And it may be related to the bug noted, but it is hard to tell because I'm not a playlist user.

I ended up clearing the library and rescanning everything and the directories showed up this time. Slimserver does seem a bit testy in the area of adding new music and keeping track of things. While it is hardly a fatal flaw, one does have a nagging suspicion that one or two albums in your collection usually remain improperly cataloged anytime you scan your folder.