PDA

View Full Version : Streaming General Sound Output in Windows

-=Snoopy=-
2007-03-04, 07:39
Hallo,

i just bougth a v3 squeezebox, which is connected to my stereo system. I want to stream the sound of Video/TV-Card etc under windowsXP to my squeezebox via LAN to omit the connection PC<>stereo system.
I suppose, i need an windows driver that works as streaming server. Have any of you some ideas/links/advices?

thank you
carsten

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-04, 09:38
Search the forum for icecast. You then tune into this stream as if it was an Internet radio station.

It looks you're trying to synch the audio to video. That won't work due to buffering - the audio and video are buffered separately and will never be synchronized.

TimothyB
2007-03-04, 10:38
I'm not sure why this request is so popular.

Off the top of my head, wouldn't it let me play a CD through my stereo without ripping it first?

When my old Denon CD player (circa 1985, with rosewood side panels!) died, I didn't bother to replace it, because I've got the SqueezeBox. So if a friend brings over a CD, I don't have the option of just popping the disc into the player.

-- T
(And consequently, I'm so dependent on the SB for music that any glitches with SlimServer really get to me.)

haunyack
2007-03-04, 10:50
Search the forum for icecast. You then tune into this stream as if it was an Internet radio station.

(Rant, not directed at you in particular) I'm not sure why this request is so popular. You'll also hear the various boops, beeps and "YOU'VE GOT MAIL!!"-type announcements Windows likes.

Also it looks you're trying to synch the audio to video. That won't work due to buffering - the audio and video are buffered separately and will never be synchronized.

Control panel/Sound/sounds/sound scheme/no sounds will turn off the "various boops,bleeps and 'YOU'VE GOT MAIL!!"-type announcements Windows likes"

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-04, 11:28
Off the top of my head, wouldn't it let me play a CD through my stereo without ripping it first?

Yes, you're right, it would.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-04, 11:31
Control panel/Sound/sounds/sound scheme/no sounds will turn off the "various boops,bleeps and 'YOU'VE GOT MAIL!!"-type announcements Windows likes"

Tried that but various other programs like installing their own little sound bytes which crop up unexpectedly.

The other day I was trying some sort of DVD archiving tool which played a loud, long and very annoying cutesy calypso tune when it finished archiving a DVD.

Usually I keep my computer speakers turned off, but they happened to be on at that time.

haunyack
2007-03-04, 11:34
Tried that but various other programs like installing their own little sound bytes which crop up unexpectedly.

The other day I was trying some sort of DVD archiving tool which played a loud, long and very annoying cutesy calypso tune when it finished archiving a DVD.

No options in the app for supressing cutesy jingles?

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-04, 11:39
No options in the app for supressing cutesy jingles?

Probably, but I was more interested in uninstalling it rather than searching for it!

OK - I'm sorry if I attacked anyone's pet feature here. I guess it doesn't fit with my usage pattern and I have a hard time understanding why people want to use it this way. I'll retract my comment.

haunyack
2007-03-04, 11:42
Probably, but I was more interested in uninstalling it rather than searching for it!

OK - I'm sorry if I attacked anyone's pet feature here. I guess it doesn't fit with my usage pattern and I have a hard time understanding why people want to use it this way. I'll retract my comment.

No need to go that far...personally I like to stream from my Yahoo Music Unlimited service so as to preview tracks before I waste hard drive space with a track(s) that sound like !@#$

peter
2007-03-04, 13:42
Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Search the forum for icecast. You then tune into this stream as if it
> was an Internet radio station.
>
> (Rant, not directed at you in particular) I'm not sure why this request
> is so popular. You'll also hear the various boops, beeps and "YOU'VE
> GOT MAIL!!"-type announcements Windows likes.
>

It's really very easy to have one application talk to the mythical SB
driver while all the windows sounds go to the internal sound card.

> Also it looks you're trying to synch the audio to video. That won't
> work due to buffering - the audio and video are buffered separately and
> will never be synchronized.
>

Agreed. That probably won't work very well.

Regards,
Peter

jagertee
2007-03-05, 15:43
Well this feature is requested, because more and more people have music videos in their library and would like to use the squeezebox as an easy-to-use controller for the video playback.

video will be rendered on the PC connected to the TV or beamer, audio will be rendered by the squeezebox. synced. maybe i should get myself an xbox.

peter
2007-03-06, 00:02
jagertee wrote:
> Well this feature is requested, because more and more people have music
> videos in their library and would like to use the squeezebox as an
> easy-to-use controller for the video playback.
>

Easy, get MythTV and use my Lirc Plugin or get my VideoBox to control
Mediaplayer, but make the sound come directly from the PC.
> video will be rendered on the PC connected to the TV or beamer, audio
> will be rendered by the squeezebox. synced. maybe i should get myself
> an xbox.
>

Streaming audio over ethernet/wifi introduces delays. Not a problem when
listening to music but a big problem while watching (non delayed) video
at the same time. It probably can't be done. Why just connect the PC to
the beamer, connect it to your stereo as well. As for control, that can
be accomplished over the SB.

Regards,
Peter