PDA

View Full Version : Using NTFS Junction Points to unify Music Folder

amcluesent
2007-03-04, 04:28
My situation was multiple folders of music spread over two disks. Not so easy for Slimserver to scan when you input one Music Folder.

My solution is to use NTFS Junction Points (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point), creating a single directory containing symbolic links to all my music folders on the drives. NB Note warning about deleting junction points in Explorer, you *will* delete the linked files too!

I created c:\sml and then sub-dirs 00, 01, 02 etc. to keep path names short. The utility Junction Link Magic (http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm) was used to create the links between each sub-dir and the target source, i.e. '00' was linked to 'M:\Music'

I set slimserver's Music Folder to c:\sml, it traversed the junction points fine and located all the music across the disks.

Junction points can't cope with UNC mappings, but it seems that NTFS symbolic links in Vista can.

TimothyB
2007-03-04, 10:30
Yeah I'm doing a variation of that.

I bought a separate 500GB drive for my music files, and instead of giving it a drive letter, I just mapped it to D:\media

That paired with a 500GB USB drive lets me keep my music in one place and have a backup strategy.

About removing junctions without deleting the target files, I use Take Command (from www.jpsoft.com). It's like cmd.exe on steroids, and has a mklnk command to create and remove links (soft dire3ctory and hard file) , also the rd command will remove a junction without deleting the target.

-- T

peter
2007-03-04, 13:38
TimothyB wrote:
> Yeah I'm doing a variation of that.
>
> I bought a separate 500GB drive for my music files, and instead of
> giving it a drive letter, I just mapped it to D:\media
>
> That paired with a 500GB USB drive lets me keep my music in one place
> and have a backup strategy.
>
> About removing junctions without deleting the target files, I use Take
> Command (from www.jpsoft.com). It's like cmd.exe on steroids, and has
> a -mklnk- command to create and remove links (soft dire3ctory and hard
> file) , also the -rd- command will remove a junction without deleting
> the target.
>

Oh my gosh, jpsoft are still around. I still remember using 4dos... ;)

MS should've bought them then...

Regards,
Peter

BigTony
2007-04-04, 09:32
isn't this the same as creating a shortcut to the directory you want and putting that SC in the Music path?

BT

bergek
2007-04-04, 11:43
isn't this the same as creating a shortcut to the directory you want and putting that SC in the Music path?

Using shortcuts will of course work but is much less transparent. A shortcut is just an ordinary file that includes information that links to the target. Windows Explorer and Slimserver has the ability to parse that information to change directory to the target subfolder. Using NTFS junction points creates a seamless link similar to what mounting does in Linux/Unix.

If you have other applications that traverse the music library (e.g. for differential backups) they will probably have a hard time with shortcuts but will work effortlessly with junction points.

gusi
2007-04-05, 04:07
I don't really see the difference to me a shortcut seems pretty similar to a UNIX link.

Can you actually merge directories?
Currently I have C:\jazz,D:\jazz,E:\jazz.
With shortcuts I can get c:\jazz, c:\jazz1, c:\jazz2.

I'd love to be able to merge all directories into one c:\jazz with the content of all three directories.

Will this tool let me do that?