PDA

View Full Version : User poll: favourite screen saver

peejay
2007-03-04, 01:11
Is it little Pac-men running around, the time (ho hum) or what?
My vote is for the analog VU meters (ootb - there may be others I don't know of), way above anything else. Any other faves which come close or surpass the bouncing needles?

matthijskoopmans
2007-03-04, 02:28
I like many screensavers.

SlimPanelz when off

when playing, I like:
1. music info
2. analogue VU
3. back to music info
4. spectrum analyser (both analogue vu and spectrum analyser are not very useful, but are stunning to look at)
5. album review

no surprise here that Saver Switcher is the one for me :)

thanks to all the ppl that put time in these

aubuti
2007-03-04, 08:20
When off: Weather/date/time or none (blank)
When playing: MusicInfo
When stopped: Now playing

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-04, 09:25
Plain ol' boring here:

Off: Time, no seconds.
On, stopped: Now Playing
On, playing: spectrum analyzer

JJZolx
2007-03-04, 09:41
Off & Stopped: Date/Time, no seconds
Playing: Now playing

On the Transporter, I have the VU meters going just because there's nothing else to do with the second display, but I usually turn the display off completely when listening. It's more distracting than anything else.

Deaf Cat
2007-03-05, 16:22
Simple Old Me :)

Off - Off(Blank)
On - Snow
Playing - Now Playing/small spec/time played

erland
2007-03-05, 16:37
Off: Date and Spelled Time (Verbarius Clock Style plugin), I also sometimes use the "Weather Time" screen saver.
On: Saver Switcher (Configured with "MusicInfoSCR" and "Date and Spelled Time")
Playing: Saver Switcher (Configured with "MusicInfoSCR" and "Date and Spelled Time")

RiccardoR
2007-03-07, 16:31
When playing: Analog VU on the SB3 (Music Info on SB1G)
When off: Weather + Date/Time (Date/Time only on SB1G)

The Analog VU for me is the best plugin for SB3 (to be seen in a dark room).

R.

SumnerBoy
2007-03-07, 18:46
Am I missing something? What exactly is "Saver Switcher"? I can't find it in the list of plugins on www.slimdevices.com and I can find no mention elsewhere on the web.

This sounds like a good tool so any information will be greatly received!

Cheers,
Ben

peterw
2007-03-07, 20:21
It's listed on the Games and screensavers page:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginGames

Here's the direct URL:
http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SaverSwitcher.html

It's a "meta screensaver" that can be configured to cycle through different screensavers automatically. For instance, when music is playing I have it cycle through my favorites, Music Information, SuperDateTime, and Analog VU (on the newer SBs), always jumping back to Music Information when a new song starts.

You can also manually select specific screensavers. On my system when Off or using a When Playing saver, "7" always calls up RSS, "8" always brings up Date and Spelled Time, and "9" always blanks the screen (BlankSaver). For "Off", I only have one active saver (SuperDateTime), but I still use SaverSwitcher so that I can manually choose another saver or blank the screen.

SaverSwitcher started as a way for me to alternate between Now Playing and SuperDateTime (once I got used to weather info when "off", I wanted some access to it when playing music). Then I added features suggested by other users -- Peter ")p(", Daz Barber and nicketynick especially deserve credit for their ideas.

-Peter

SumnerBoy
2007-03-07, 20:27
Brilliant - thanks Peter. I have downloaded the plugin and will install/play later on today.

Nostromo
2007-03-07, 21:22
I love the Analog VU meter

Andyb01
2007-03-08, 07:35
Analog VU - no contest

peejay
2007-03-09, 03:29
I love the Analog VU meter

Being an old school electronics engineer, those bouncing needles sure do it for me as well.

Recoveryone
2007-03-09, 13:38
On: Now playing with the mini Spectrum on the side
Off: Date/Time