PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver 6.5.1 Problem: Songs Cut Off

CraigS720
2007-03-03, 17:10
I installed v6.5.1 over 6.5.0 on my Dell 8250/1 gig/XP Professional SP2/itunes/Apple Lossless. Suddenly in the random songs mode the music cuts off before the very end of the song making for exremely ugly segues :-)

Is there an adjustment I can make so the songs play to conclusion before it plays the next one? Fade in and out is not activated.

Didn't have this problem before. Thanks for the help.

Craig

windowshade
2007-03-03, 18:22
I've seen this with 6.5.1 as well, but it's an intermittent problem, so it's hard to draw conclusions.

haunyack
2007-03-03, 18:53
I installed v6.5.1 over 6.5.0 on my Dell 8250/1 gig/XP Professional SP2/itunes/Apple Lossless. Suddenly in the random songs mode the music cuts off before the very end of the song making for exremely ugly segues :-)

Is there an adjustment I can make so the songs play to conclusion before it plays the next one? Fade in and out is not activated.

Didn't have this problem before. Thanks for the help.

Craig

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/SlimServer_v6.3.1

JJZolx
2007-03-03, 19:18
I've seen this with 6.5.1 as well, but it's an intermittent problem, so it's hard to draw conclusions.

It's a known bug in 6.5.1.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4384

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4544

Philip Meyer
2007-03-04, 05:16
>Suddenly in the random songs mode the music
>cuts off before the very end of the song making for exremely ugly
>segues :-)
>
This may be related to my issue where music occasionally stops playing when the end of a song is reached (instead of playing the next track).

I am not transcoding though (playing mp3 and FLAC without bitrate limiting).

Phil

windowshade
2007-03-04, 09:08
Phil,

I have also had tracks stall just before the end of the song. I'm not transcoding either. Didn't you start a thread about this? (I can't seem to find it now.)

CraigS720
2007-03-04, 17:08
I rolled the software back to v6.3.1 and that did the trick. Obviously, as the bugs that were reported pointed out, v6.5.1 is the culprit, at least when it comes to using Apple Lossless.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Craig

Philip Meyer
2007-03-04, 18:19
>I have also had tracks stall just before the end of the song. I'm not
>transcoding either. Didn't you start a thread about this? (I can't seem
>to find it now.)
Yes, in the beta forum (the thread is titled "Slimserver not always transitioning between tracks"), since I'm running 6.5.2, which isn't official yet.

I also found that other users are experiencing the problem and there is a bug report (4354).

Phil

gutted
2007-03-05, 06:53
Damn - I upgraded the other day (see previous version in my sig) but I should have checked here first.

Am also seeing this problem after upgrading :( Currently using SB1, and playing .flac or .mp3 I get the same thing.

Any news on release date for next version? How stable are the nightlies at the moment - worth giving recent nightly a try? If still a while to go before next official release, i'll go back to previous version...

JJZolx
2007-03-05, 22:00
Damn - I upgraded the other day (see previous version in my sig) but I should have checked here first.

Am also seeing this problem after upgrading :( Currently using SB1, and playing .flac or .mp3 I get the same thing.

Any news on release date for next version? How stable are the nightlies at the moment - worth giving recent nightly a try? If still a while to go before next official release, i'll go back to previous version...

I've never seen a timeline published for any SlimServer release. The usual reason for pushing out a release is in support of some new hardware. So 6.5.2 could be released in a month or in six months. The next major release - 7.0 - looks to be many, many months away. One of the techs comments in the bug report that they're not seeing this in 7.0, but that's pretty tenuous, since not more than a handful of people are really using 7.0.

The nightlies of 6.5.2 are quite stable, but don't bother with them if you're looking for a fix for this bug. From the report in the bug database, it doesn't appear that it's really being worked on. Given the seriousness of the bug, I'm not sure I understand why that is.

haunyack
2007-03-05, 22:40
"From the report in the bug database, it doesn't appear that it's really being worked on. Given the seriousness of the bug, I'm not sure I understand why that is." - Jim

I wonder...

I reported this bug to SD months ago and received less than enthusiastic interest.
Since then, many others have reported the same problem and no progress or comment concerning this.
What good is a "new release" that does not work properly?

That seems to be the Slimdevices pathos these days -
Sell product, sell shares, sell the farm - we'll leave software development to the "community".
Here I sit at version 6.3.1 while SD trudges along on their error-prone roadmap.

I wonder...

What's up their mega-corporate sleeve?

Get up off the couch and change out the CD.
Ugh!

windowshade
2007-03-06, 20:23
I also found that other users are experiencing the problem and there is a bug report (4354).

Phil
Got it--thanks very much. This is a very interesting (and aggravating) bug.

gutted
2007-03-10, 03:50
Wow - you guys are lucky as hell.

I just checked description for bug ID 4354, and the notes suggest that this problem happens for maybe 1 in 100 songs. Or even 1 in 50.

Are you kidding me??? This is happening to virtually every song on my system! That's the reason I posted immediately after upgrading to 6.5.1

Is anyone else getting this problem to the same degree as me? If so, it's got to be worth logging on to bugzilla and adding your vote to the bug. So far it only seems to have 4 votes (5 including mine). I don't know how much difference it makes (if any) but voting for it has got to be better than not (?)

Example - in the last 5 songs I've just played, 4 of them had the end cropped. If I can stick with 6.5.1, I'm very lucky if one in 10 songs is NOT cropped.

hifimark
2007-03-10, 08:13
I am having the same cut outs on every song, I have tried a fresh 6.5.2 installation but the same problem persists

Running win XP with 2x SB3 and a Transporter playing wma lossless and Flac.

It is an extremely annoying bug, I had previously replaced a competitorís product with a SB3 because of a very similar problem, I have been very pleased with Slim Devices products up to this and I hope the problem will be sorted soon.

gutted
2007-03-10, 09:56
hifimark - go to bugzilla (click here) (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/) and look for bug ID 4354. You may need to set up an account with bugzilla (it's very quick) - but once you've done so, add a "vote" for this bug.

I don't know exactly how it works, but am assuming that the more people who vote for it, the more the developers at slimdevices will take notice.

Flatpik
2010-02-16, 21:45
It cuts off every song 3/4 of the way through and starts the next song. What a POS.

toby10
2010-02-17, 06:29
It cuts off every song 3/4 of the way through and starts the next song. What a POS.

If just a rant, task complete! ;)

If you would like some help in resolving your issue I'd suggest creating a new thread (this is a three year old thread discussing a discontinued server version).
In the new thread I'd also suggest giving as many details of your setup as possible. :)