PDA

View Full Version : Everything works but playing

hartin
2007-03-03, 05:09
I've been running my squeezebox successfully for a couple of months.

Now it doesn't play anymore, I can browse my music, everything is looking fine but tha actual playing never starts.

I just tried reinstalling Slimserver 6.5.1 (WinXPsp2).

Any ideas?
/Johan

mherger
2007-03-03, 05:21
> Now it doesn't play anymore, I can browse my music, everything is
> looking fine but tha actual playing never starts.

Is there just no sound or does the "now playing" screen not even pretend
to be playing? What happens when you hit the play button? Any error
message on the display?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

hartin
2007-03-03, 05:43
Well, the "Now playing" screen shows up when I hit play in either the web interface or from the remote, but the song seems stuck. The "visualization bars" on right doesn't move. It stays on the first song infinitely.

I've tried mp3, flac and ape, no difference.
/Johan

y360
2007-03-03, 07:48
Is squeezentwork ok ? Internet radio ?
Have you tried softsqueeze ?
I would also try the server's debug options
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?LogFile

jmpage2
2007-03-03, 08:48
Sounds like something got tightened up in your network config. If a firewall blocks the audio ports it will behave in much the way you have described.

Also, have you tested Soft Squeeze to prove whether or not the problem is with the Squeezebox hardware?

gsuser
2007-03-03, 08:53
Everything was fine, but after reinstalling xp, I can't play wav files anymore. Only flac or mp3 can be listened. I use eac to rip (wav + cue). The files appear in the music folder, but if I want to listen to them nothing happens, the elapsed time is stuck on the sb3 display. I tried 6.5, 6.51, nightly releases, but no wav anymore...

jmpage2
2007-03-03, 09:37
Everything was fine, but after reinstalling xp, I can't play wav files anymore. Only flac or mp3 can be listened. I use eac to rip (wav + cue). The files appear in the music folder, but if I want to listen to them nothing happens, the elapsed time is stuck on the sb3 display. I tried 6.5, 6.51, nightly releases, but no wav anymore...

If you reinstalled XP then the windows firewall is on by DEFAULT.

peterw
2007-03-03, 09:52
Well, the "Now playing" screen shows up when I hit play in either the web interface or from the remote, but the song seems stuck. The "visualization bars" on right doesn't move. It stays on the first song infinitely.

I've tried mp3, flac and ape, no difference.
/Johan

Try rebooting by holding the remote's Power button until you see the Slim Devices boot logo. There's a bug in 6.5.1 the firmware for SB2/SB3 units that, if triggered, leaves the SB unable to play any music until rebooted like that. Normally it seems that certain Internet Radio stations and possibly SqueezeNetwork usage *trigger* the bug. Once triggered, not even "local" music will play til the SB reboots, though, as you describe, everything else about the SB seems to work.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4727

If that's the case for you & you can identify what you did prior to the trouble, consider adding your info to the bug ticket.

Good luck,

Peter

gsuser
2007-03-03, 10:25
If you reinstalled XP then the windows firewall is on by DEFAULT.

Many thanks, it was the firewall. Port 9000 was not open....
Everything is OK now.

hartin
2007-03-04, 05:04
Try rebooting by holding the remote's Power button until you see the Slim Devices boot logo.
Good luck,

Peter

Thanks, that did it! Weird because I upgraded to last firmware which triggers a similar reboot, which did nothing to help!

I am a happy camper!
/Johan

pfarrell
2007-03-11, 11:11
phinbob wrote:
> MY Squeezebox looks like it's playing but there is no sound. Everything
> was working fine but something seems to have happened and now there is
> no sound from my own music files or from Internet radio

Mine did that, and so I started reconnecting the cables between my SB
and amp. That fixed it. I assume something was loose or weird, and
just messing with it made it work.

Have you checked your amp and speakers?

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

phinbob
2007-03-11, 11:11
I've been running my squeezebox successfully for a couple of months.

Now it doesn't play anymore, I can browse my music, everything is looking fine but tha actual playing never starts.

I just tried reinstalling Slimserver 6.5.1 (WinXPsp2).

Any ideas?
/Johan

MY Squeezebox looks like it's playing but there is no sound. Everything was working fine but something seems to have happened and now there is no sound from my own music files or from Internet radio

-Stef-
2007-03-11, 11:18
MY Squeezebox looks like it's playing but there is no sound. Everything was working fine but something seems to have happened and now there is no sound from my own music files or from Internet radio

Try peterw's tip from a couple of posts back:

Try rebooting by holding the remote's Power button until you see the Slim Devices boot logo.

It did it for me so maybe it does it for you.

phinbob
2007-03-11, 11:34
phinbob wrote:
> MY Squeezebox looks like it's playing but there is no sound. Everything
> was working fine but something seems to have happened and now there is
> no sound from my own music files or from Internet radio

Mine did that, and so I started reconnecting the cables between my SB
and amp. That fixed it. I assume something was loose or weird, and
just messing with it made it work.

Have you checked your amp and speakers?

--
Pat

Yes I have reconnected several times and also rebooted the Squeezebox. It just does not seem to be producing sound. This is a recent occurance as it has worked flawlessly in the past.

phinbob
2007-03-11, 11:35
Try peterw's tip from a couple of posts back:

It did it for me so maybe it does it for you.

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I've tried this a couple of times with no success.

pfarrell
2007-03-11, 11:42
phinbob wrote:
> Yes I have reconnected several times and also rebooted the Squeezebox.
> It just does not seem to be producing sound. This is a recent occurance
> as it has worked flawlessly in the past.

Bummer. Have you tried the headphone jack?
Mine got weird when the power company put a big spike down the line.
Flawless before and since, but most strange.

At least all my computer clocks are right today.

--
Pat

snarlydwarf
2007-03-11, 11:51
If the timer isn't increasing (which you may have to press Now Playing a few times to see) or the meters aren't moving, then it is usually a networking problem of some sort.

What happens is the SB is told "Okay, come get this file and start playing it" by the server... but it can't complete the connection for some reason (for local files, this is often a firewall issue: the server is blocking the connection from the SB that allows it to actually get the file). For radio connections this can be something like a bad gateway.

That said, you said it acts like it is playing... does that include moving time indicators and VU meters? Depending on your Now Playing settings you may not see those are idle.

Red Ace
2007-04-12, 03:05
Basic question sorry, but I'm experiencing the music not streaming issue and so want to check that port 9000 is open - how do I do this ?
I am running a QNAP, with Squeezebox 2, with a Netgear router (Sky Broadband).
Thanks

btcompute
2007-04-12, 04:17
I had the same problem last night.
While listening to an internet radio station, the music suddenly stopped.
I could browse the music files on my pc and when I selected a song to play the SB said "Now Playing" and the timer showed the total time of the song, but it would not play.
Tried rebooting the pc, but it didn't help.

When I tried to get back into "Internet radio", the SB started downloading a firmware update.
After that everything was fine.
I'm pretty sure the firmware version is the same now as before the problem.

Red Ace
2007-04-12, 04:39
Re-did a firmware update, but still no joy.
Can someone help me check the port9000 out on my Netgear router...I'm able to log on to the admin pages, but will need some guidance through it...
Thank you...

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-14, 14:21
Re-did a firmware update, but still no joy.
Can someone help me check the port9000 out on my Netgear router...I'm able to log on to the admin pages, but will need some guidance through it...
Thank you...

If you're accessing your SlimServer on your QNAP via your internal network, you don't need to do this.

If you can see the SlimServer web page at all from a networked device, then port 9000 isn't being blocked.