PDA

View Full Version : Windows Server => Linux Server

foamman
2007-03-02, 14:11
I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 Server that I would like to convert into a Linux NAS Media Server. I have read a few threads and Clark Connect seems pretty popular. My questions is, what linux software would you recommend for this type of system?

Pale Blue Ego
2007-03-02, 14:24
Do you mean which version of Linux?

ClarkConnect is great if you're just using the PC as a server. It's very easy to set up and maintain - actually mine has required zero maintenance since I installed it.

Ubuntu makes a server distro, too. If you need a GUI there are lots of choices - SUSE, Ubuntu desktop, Fedora...

foamman
2007-03-02, 14:30
I was just reading the Ubuntu site. When it comes to Linux I'm clueless! I want to make sure that what ever Distro I install will work with the hardware and the raid configuration.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-03-02, 15:25
Are you using the Proliant just for slimserver?

foamman
2007-03-02, 16:54
Slimserver and other media but primarily slimserver.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-03-02, 21:59
I think ClarkConnect would be an excellent choice, because it's rock-solid and the web interface makes it very easy to administer and configure.

Here's a page on RAID support - see if your RAID controller is on the list:

http://www.clarkconnect.com/wiki/index.php?title=System_Requirements#RAID_Support

davis
2007-03-03, 05:14
I'm guessing space, power, and heat aren't a problem!

I've not tried ClarkConnect, but I suspect it would work for you, because the ProLiant's SmartArray range is supported by Linux's "cciss" block driver. I've never had any problems with support under any recent Linux distro. I'd be quite tempted to recommend CentOS, but if you're new to Linux, a distro with a web-based administration interface would probably appeal.

plafitracer
2007-03-25, 05:55
I just set up a Clark Connect server, works (so far) flawlessly.
PS: I am NOT a Linux person.

imike24
2007-04-27, 02:06
ClarkConnect is indeed very good. I used it with no problem. Although Linux is not as popular as Microsoft products, I am still a supporter :)

Benway
2007-05-05, 03:50
I'm guessing space, power, and heat aren't a problem!

I've not tried ClarkConnect, but I suspect it would work for you, because the ProLiant's SmartArray range is supported by Linux's "cciss" block driver. I've never had any problems with support under any recent Linux distro. I'd be quite tempted to recommend CentOS, but if you're new to Linux, a distro with a web-based administration interface would probably appeal.

I would second the choice for CentOS.

Check the driver availablity for the ML350 you have and see what linux distros are being actively supported. The last thing you want is to start having to manually patch kernels somewhere down the line.

With RHEL/CentOS all the HP addon stuff like SmartStart, Data Protector, Array Configuration etc will work.

Make the jump to linux and watch the uptime grow.