Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philip Meyer
    • Apr 2005

What is the best version of ActiveState Perl to use

I have been running Slimserver 6.5.2 using Perl interpreted via ActiveState Perl (WinXP) verison 5.8.8.819.

Due to recent problems with music playback stopping randomly between tracks, I decided to try updating to 5.8.8.820, in case this improved things.

However, I am finding that Perl crashes frequently when using the WebUI.

Is there a specific version of ActiveState Perl that is recommended for Slimserver?

Phil
  • Phil Meyer
    • Apr 2005

>However, I am finding that Perl crashes frequently when using the WebUI.
    Seems to be due to the ntdll.dll (windows system dll). I've tried disabling Data Execution Prevention, but still get the crash.

I've uninstalled Perl, and reinstalled the previous version, but still get the crash as soon as I start any web browser.

Any ideas?

Phil

Comment

• JJZolx
      • Apr 2005

I've been running 5.8.7.813 for quite a while with no issues.

Perl powered by the ActiveState Platform. Designed to meet the security and package management needs of Perl developers.

Comment

• Michael Herger
        Babelfish's Best Boy
        • Apr 2005

> I have been running Slimserver 6.5.2 using Perl interpreted via
        > ActiveState Perl (WinXP) verison 5.8.8.819.

I've been on the same build since december 06. No problem.

> However, I am finding that Perl crashes frequently when using the WebUI.

Do you see any error message on the console or in the event viewer? I
        doubt this is a pure perl problem.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
        http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
        http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR
        Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
        (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• Phil Meyer
          • Apr 2005

>Do you see any error message on the console or in the event viewer? I
          >doubt this is a pure perl problem.

All I see is:

Faulting application perl.exe, version 5.8.8.819, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00001095.

A google for ntdll.dll indicates that many people have application crashes due to maybe a buffer overrun in this ntdll.dll windows system dll. I tried turning off Data Executation Protection, but still got the crash.

This morning I removed all third-party plugins, including a MHCPAN folder that was in my plugins folder that contained some HTML perl modules (I vaguely remember having to install that for a plugin to work).

I restarted slimserver and can now use the web UI again. Haven't tried putting plugins back yet though.

Phil

Comment

• Michael Herger
            Babelfish's Best Boy
            • Apr 2005

> This morning I removed all third-party plugins, including a MHCPAN
            > folder that was in my plugins folder that contained some HTML perl
            > modules (I vaguely remember having to install that for a plugin to work).

I have a vague idea why you installed them - I kind of remember what MH is
            standing for ;-). They might indeed be the cause of your problems: they
            include binary modules for perl and where taken from an earlier version.
            Possible there was version conflict in one of them.

> I restarted slimserver and can now use the web UI again. Haven't tried
            > putting plugins back yet though.

I'd be interested to know whether MHCPAN is causing the problems. Could
            you please just put it back into the plugins folder and see, what happens?
            If it crashes again, I'll have to think about another solution. Thanks!

--

Michael

Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"

Comment

• Phil Meyer
              • Apr 2005

>I have a vague idea why you installed them - I kind of remember what MH is
              >standing for ;-).
              >

Ah! I wondered what MH stood for!

>I'd be interested to know whether MHCPAN is causing the problems. Could
              >you please just put it back into the plugins folder and see, what happens?
              >If it crashes again, I'll have to think about another solution. Thanks!
              >

Do I need to restore one of the plugins that will use MHCPAN, or will it simply be invoked by its presence?

Phil

Comment

• Michael Herger
                Babelfish's Best Boy
                • Apr 2005

Hi Phil

> Do I need to restore one of the plugins that will use MHCPAN, or will it
                > simply be invoked by its presence?

Yes, for the potentially critical code to be called you'll have to have
                one of my plugins installed (I think it's used by Biography/AlbumReview).

--

Michael

Michael

Comment

• Phil Meyer
                  • Apr 2005

Hi "Michael Herger" <slim (AT) herger (DOT) net>,

>Hi Phil
                  >
                  >> Do I need to restore one of the plugins that will use MHCPAN, or will it
                  >> simply be invoked by its presence?

>
                  >Yes, for the potentially critical code to be called you'll have to have
                  >one of my plugins installed (I think it's used by Biography/AlbumReview).

Well, I uninstalled 5.8.8.819, and noticed that it left some html folder behind. I deleted this manually before I installed 5.8.8.820. I then restored all plugins and the MHCPAN into the plugins folder and restarted.

No perl.exe crash when I use web UI. I have also used Album Review from web UI.

So, must have been the junk that got left behind from 5.8.8.819.

Phil

Comment

Working...