PDA

View Full Version : Shortcut link to second drive not browseable

M.Eisenstadt
2003-12-29, 06:18
SUMMARY: can't "browse folders" indirectly using Windows folder shortcut pointing to a SECOND machine on my home network

DETAILS:
Hi... still loving my SliMP3 after a year of sustained use. I'm running version 4.2.2 (now considered old, I guess, but hey, I've been happy with it), served up by an old Pentium II 450MHz Windows2000 box that works just fine, hooked to a Belkin Wireless Access Point which beams downstairs to a Linksys WET-11 Ethernet Bridge, and thence onwards to the SliMP3.

On my home network I've got a more reasonable-sized Pentium-IV-powered Windows XP configuration with decent hard disk capacity, and a music folder that shows up just fine on a mapped network drive (the 'L:' drive in this case.) Now, the problem:

a) My main music folder is here: C:\my\music\ (this is what SliMP3 knows about, and it works fine)
b) Tons of 'extra music' on the XP box is here: L:\MoreMusic\
c) If I make a shortcut to L:\MoreMusic and drop it somewhere within the C:\my\music folder, the name appears OK on the SliMP3, but I can't 'drill down' into it: I just get the word 'empty' on the display.

Thoughts/suggestions/solutions welcome! I had this working once, but can't for the life of me remember how I did it.
Incidentally any shortcuts to things that exist entirely on my C: drive work fine, so the problem is only how to 'bridge the gap' to my other machine.

Many thanks!
-Marc

T
2003-12-29, 06:38
> On my home network I've got a more reasonable-sized Pentium-IV-powered
Windows XP configuration with decent hard disk capacity, and a music folder
that shows up just fine on a mapped network drive (the 'L:' drive in this
case.) Now, the problem:
>
> a) My main music folder is here: C:\my\music\ (this is what SliMP3 knows
about, and it works fine)
> b) Tons of 'extra music' on the XP box is here: L:\MoreMusic\
> c) If I make a shortcut to L:\MoreMusic and drop it somewhere within the
C:\my\music folder, the name appears OK on the SliMP3, but I can't 'drill
down' into it: I just get the word 'empty' on the display.

I discovered that all drive mapping must be done BEFORE starting slimserver,
otherwise it doesn't find the mapped disks. If I start slimserver as a
service, it never finds any files on the mapped disks, so I wrote a Delphi
program that first ensures that all mapped disks are found before starting
slimserver. (even local disks are mapped in my system, as that way playlist
made on one computer will work on any other on the network).

Tom