PDA

View Full Version : UNC paths and NOT drive mappings ?

jezbo
2007-03-02, 06:14
Am I right in saying that when your songs are on a network drive and not on the same PC, SlimServer can ONLY deal with UNC paths (//qnap/Public/music) and NOT drive mappings (H:/music). Certainly it wont accept the H:/ form for the "Music Folder" in Server Settings (reports "Oops - H:/music doesn't seem to be a valid directory. Try again."), and it doesn't seem to recognise the songs of this form when reading an iTunes library.

Problem is I want to use the iTunes library as the source for the SlimServer database, and that doesn't seem to like UNC paths (does work but very slow to add new songs from a root folder addressed with a UNC path - not sure why).

Nikhil
2007-03-02, 06:30
Am I right in saying that when your songs are on a network drive and not on the same PC, SlimServer can ONLY deal with UNC paths (//qnap/Public/music) and NOT drive mappings (H:/music). Certainly it wont accept the H:/ form for the "Music Folder" in Server Settings (reports "Oops - H:/music doesn't seem to be a valid directory. Try again."),

I'm not sure about the mapped drive thing .... but one possible reason might be that you are using a '/' instead of a '\' ... so for Windows systems you should try 'H:\Music' or 'H:\\Music' (For some reason I can't remember which one is correct at the moment - though I'm leaning towards the first one)

Edit: If you navigate to the folder containing the music in windows explorer, and if you have your path set to display in the address bar, you can simply copy and paste the path

jezbo
2007-03-02, 07:48
I did try both forms, / and \, but I could not get it to recognise drive mapping paths. BUT it does now! Does it depend on the setting "Automatically run at login?", since I turned this on and now drive mappings seem to be accepted. Would make sense, since it's the user login that sets up the drive mappings, not the machine startup.

MeSue
2007-03-02, 09:57
Does it depend on the setting "Automatically run at login?", since I turned this on and now drive mappings seem to be accepted.

That's right... and I think it is new since 6.5.1. Before that, I don't think Slimserver could use network drives by a mapped latter at all.

kdf
2007-03-02, 10:05
Quoting MeSue <MeSue.2mtuy01172854802 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> jezbo;184907 Wrote:
>> Does it depend on the setting "Automatically run at login?", since I
>> turned this on and now drive mappings seem to be accepted.
>
> That's right... and I think it is new since 6.5.1. Before that, I don't
> think Slimserver could use network drives by a mapped latter at all.

Slimserver could always do it, but was always a manual effort, either
tweaking the service to run as a user, or running slimserver.pl after
logging in.

-kdf

MeSue
2007-03-02, 10:31
Slimserver could always do it, but was always a manual effort, either tweaking the service to run as a user, or running slimserver.pl after logging in.

-kdf

Well, I'm very glad they simplified it!

oreillymj
2007-03-02, 10:48
By the way, it's not that "Slimserver won't do it"
No Windows service will communicate with a mapped drive by it's drive letter if you use the local system account.

That's a Windows limitation. You can either go with UNC's or change the Windows service to run under your login and make sure the mapped drive is set to "Reconnect at logon"

From a performance POV, there's probably no difference between a drive mapping and a UNC.

For more info see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180362/

heinkraanen
2007-03-05, 13:17
Searching for weeks for the solution, I think this thread (and especially thanks to oreillymj) solved the problem, THANKS FOR THAT! I have a Freecom FSG on which I installed my music. Slimserver is running om my laptop, and Slimserver didn't accept the path to my FSG-share. Neither after mapping the drive. But after changing slimserver settings to "autmatically run at login" (stead of run automatically at start up) Slimserver accepts the path to my mapped share now. Slimserver is now running under my user account instead of run by system. Thanks for the tip!!

Cheers,

Hein

wreford
2007-06-20, 16:22
Searching for weeks for the solution, I think this thread (and especially thanks to oreillymj) solved the problem, THANKS FOR THAT! I have a Freecom FSG on which I installed my music. Slimserver is running om my laptop, and Slimserver didn't accept the path to my FSG-share. Neither after mapping the drive. But after changing slimserver settings to "autmatically run at login" (stead of run automatically at start up) Slimserver accepts the path to my mapped share now. Slimserver is now running under my user account instead of run by system. Thanks for the tip!!

Cheers,

Hein

I have the same problem with a mapped drive to a infrant readnas hard disk - but can't work out how to change slimserver settings to "automatically run at login" - is this a windows thing or slimserver thing?

Ross L
2007-06-20, 16:58
I have the same problem with a mapped drive to a infrant readnas hard disk - but can't work out how to change slimserver settings to "automatically run at login" - is this a windows thing or slimserver thing?

Why not run SlimServer on the ReadyNAS?

"Automatically run at login" is an option when right-clicking SlimTray, the SlimServer icon in the task tray next to the clock in XP.

JJZolx
2007-06-20, 17:00
It's Windows thing and is done through SlimTray.

Why not just use a UNC path and allow SlimServer to run as a service?