PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Squeeze Box, sob, sob, sniff, sniff...

brooky
2007-03-01, 07:13
I used my squeezebox for about a year running of a Linux Fedora box. The wireless functionality stopped working and it sat in a box for a while.

I bought a new barebone PC the other day especially for it as a SlimServer. After trying 3 flavours of Linux and finally XP I think it has bitten the bullet.

I'm fairly technical and understand firewalls DHCP etc but the little b*gger won't connect. :(

So whats the verdict? Shall I bin it and what shall I do with the barebone PC?

:'(

mherger
2007-03-01, 07:27
> So whats the verdict? Shall I bin it and what shall I do with the
> barebone PC?

Just describe the current state in some more detail, and what you've tried
before. Try to connect it using cable (not wireless). Does it power up at
all?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

y360
2007-03-01, 07:28
Won't connect to router or to slimserver ?

brooky
2007-03-01, 07:32
Unfortunately not. :(

"Obtaining IP address...."

Screen goes blank. Tried factory reset. Resinstalled different OS's.

:(

brooky
2007-03-01, 07:43
I've been using a crossover cable to the PC and I've tried it connected on the network with normal ethernet cable.

mherger
2007-03-01, 07:46
> I've been using a crossover cable to the PC and I've tried it connected
> on the network with normal ethernet cable.

Can you access your slimserver from your PC? Did you try to configure it
using fixed IP addresses? Can you ping the box from your PC?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

servies
2007-03-01, 07:54
Maybe DHCP isn't working correctly. Try to assign an IP address manually.

brooky
2007-03-01, 07:59
I tried manually assigning and it worked!

Wow wee it worked!!

Lets hope it isn't a temporamental issue. I got it working a week or so ago and it stopped working.

Ok so it connected with XP. I don;t have a license for it so I'll try Ubuntu again. :) Fingers crossed.

ModelCitizen
2007-03-01, 08:09
Check that it has the correct mac address. Sometimes Squeezebox's lose their correct Mac address and then you get exactly what you're descibing.
I assume you've already factory reset it.
MC

brooky
2007-03-01, 10:10
Thanks, I've done a factory reset. I'm trying Ubuntu Desktop 6.10 to see how that goes.

Fingers crossed.

ModelCitizen
2007-03-01, 12:09
Changing OS's willy nilly seems a strange way to diagnose the problem. You ought to try checking that the Squeezebox'S firmware is reporting the mac address that's written on the base of the unit and change it to what it's supposed to be if it is not. In my experience a factory reset will not automatically reset the mac address to what it's supposed to be.
MC

JJZolx
2007-03-01, 12:55
I used my squeezebox for about a year running of a Linux Fedora box. The wireless functionality stopped working and it sat in a box for a while.

I bought a new barebone PC the other day especially for it as a SlimServer.

I'm not following your logic. That's like buying new tires for a car with a blown engine.

So it sounds like your Squeezebox is broken. It happens. Is it under warranty? If not, maybe you can still get some love by calling Slim Devices support and working with them.

mflint
2007-03-02, 09:23
Check that it has the correct mac address. Sometimes Squeezebox's lose their correct Mac address and then you get exactly what you're descibing.
I assume you've already factory reset it.
MC
I had exactly that problem with my SB2. The wireless appeared to be faulty, but in fact the Mac address had changed to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and my wireless router had Mac address filtering turned on...

Easily fixed, but I was concerned for a while!

Matthew

SuperQ
2007-03-02, 11:39
I had exactly that problem with my SB2. The wireless appeared to be faulty, but in fact the Mac address had changed to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and my wireless router had Mac address filtering turned on...

Matthew

eep.. that's a bad MAC to fail to! you don't want a real device pretending to be broadcast.

I'm not sure how most DHCP servers would accept FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF as a valid client MAC.

ModelCitizen
2007-03-02, 13:19
I had exactly that problem with my SB2, unique country homebut in fact the Mac address had changed to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and my wireless router had Mac address filtering turned on...
Matthew
Mine hadn't changed to that address but I did not have mac address filtering turned on and still the symptoms were exactly the same... I wouldn't have believed it if it had not happened at least three times in the last couple of years.
MC

funkstar
2007-03-03, 08:59
Is there still a bounty available to anyone that can reliably re-produce how/why this happens?

Everyone at Slimdevices was completely stumped last i heard :)