PDA

View Full Version : Wireless streaming problems

lyteroptes
2007-03-01, 05:49
Hi

All was working fine until I replaced my wireless router but now streaming .flac is dreadful from either of of my SS installations. One is directly wired to the Netgear router, the other is wirelessly connected but with 54mbps reported. The SB can connect wirelessly either directly to the router (signal strength ~40%) or via an extender device (70%+) but both stutter dreadfully. MP3 is OK I think as is Squeezenetwork. Before swapping the router I had another Netgear router made wireless with the addition of a XyAir WAP with the same extender device.

Is there anything I can do to improve this - 70% signal strength was OK before the router swap.

Thanks

y360
2007-03-01, 07:15
You can try running the network test from "Server & Network Health" in the web interface. The player needs to be connected to the slimserver (i.e. not squeezenetwork mode) for the network test to show up.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-01, 19:31
Can't you go back to your original router? Why did you change it?

Take a look at the following:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

lyteroptes
2007-03-06, 02:04
Thanks for the reply.

I changed ISP (from cable to ADSL) and the new ISP provided the router with all of the credentials built in. Apparently it is possible to extract these and use the old router but I don't have an ADSL modem. I do intend to link in the old router and WAP just as an experiment though.

lyteroptes
2007-03-06, 02:05
Thanks

Yes, I did wonder about that and I did enable it but I was unclear about what is was telling me. I do have a bit more info on that to digest now.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-07, 07:14
Thanks for the reply.

I changed ISP (from cable to ADSL) and the new ISP provided the router with all of the credentials built in. Apparently it is possible to extract these and use the old router but I don't have an ADSL modem. I do intend to link in the old router and WAP just as an experiment though.

There's a lot of posts on this forum about problems with "ISP supplied" modem/routers. They seem to lock a lot of functions out and if you have performance issues there's nothing you can change.

You can use it just as a modem though and link it to your old router. Simply connect one of the new modem/router's LAN ports to one of the old router's LAN ports using a patch cable. This will make the old router act as a switch/wireless access point. Turn off the "WAN" (Internet) section in the old router and set the old router's address to one in the new modem/router's IP address subnet, but outside its DHCP range - i.e. if the DHCP range is 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.100, give it 192.168.1.101.

If the new modem/router has a wireless section, turn that off too and keep the old router's wireless section active.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-07, 07:18
Yes, I did wonder about that and I did enable it but I was unclear about what is was telling me.

It's telling you what your bandwidth is. Any speed reporting 100% can be sustained. Anything less than 100% can't be achieved with any certainty.

What's usually more enlightening is the performance monitoring link at the bottom of that page, particularly the player statistics reporting signal strength and buffer state. However this will probably tell us what we know already, that your signal strength is low and your buffer is empty.

lyteroptes
2007-03-09, 01:57
Always one for an easy life I installed 'Homeplugs'. Working in 5 mins.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and information.