PDA

View Full Version : One SB3 fails to connect wirelessly

y360
2007-02-28, 03:17
I have a 3 week old SB3 which worked flawlessly until last night when it suddenly lost wireless connection with no apparent cause.
I have been unable to connect it ever since.

These are the symptomps:
- wired connection is ok, only wireless connection fails
- network is identified, but after entering WPA TKIP passphrase I get encryption failure
- same failure with WEP
- when disabling encryption in router, SB3 connects to network but fails to find DHCP server
- setting static address flow fails to connect as well
- I have power-cycled, done factory reset, matched MAC address in SB3 to sticker, verified no MAC filtering in router, reset router, downgraded from SB3 firmware 76 back to 72, verified no DHCP client limit in router, verified no SB3 bridge, verified SSID broadcast - all to no avail
- WRT54GL router with stock 4.30.9 firmware is ok as my laptop connects to it fine wirelessly
- to reiterate, all worked fine until last night

I then attempted to connect same SB3 at a different network location which has a 3com 3CRWE554G72T router - with same results

I then connected for the first time a new SB3 which I just received this week. It connected without a problem in both networks with WPA personal and firmware 76.

One odd thing I noticed - on passphrase entry, the cursor in the malfunctioning SB3 jumps ahead after each character is finalized, while in the new SB3 the cursor has to be moved forward manually with the "cross" button of the remote

Bottom line - I have 2 SB3, the new one connects OK in 2 different networks, the older one fails to connect same way on both

The Smokester
2007-02-28, 07:42
Have you tried turning your MAC filter off temporarily? I read on another post that sometimes a SB can actually change its MAC! (Not an expert so this may be BS.)

y360
2007-02-28, 07:48
I read those posts, but unfortunately the mac address in SB3 menu is same as SB3 label, and router does no mac address filtering

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-28, 13:43
It really does sound like you've tried everything. Sounds like the wireless module failed.

Contact support at slimdevices dot com.

y360
2007-02-28, 14:22
Support provided an RMA to ship it back for repair.

Buick
2007-04-08, 12:05
I'm using a new router - airport extreme and I've tried all of the support recomendations - from reset to no encrpt etc --- and verified it works wired. PLease help. I had problems with getting wireless consistent connection with my old router -- thought it was the router - even though the connection was >85% all the time... Now I've purchased a top of the line airport and it loves all other devices. Can you advise on solution? I use count of 13 for password -- i turned firewall off etc etc. THanks - Pretty desperate as i purchased this beginning of the year and probably been able to use it for 12 hours..... Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2007-04-08, 14:21
I'm using a new router - airport extreme and I've tried all of the support recomendations - from reset to no encrpt etc --- and verified it works wired. PLease help. I had problems with getting wireless consistent connection with my old router -- thought it was the router - even though the connection was >85% all the time... Now I've purchased a top of the line airport and it loves all other devices. Can you advise on solution? I use count of 13 for password -- i turned firewall off etc etc. THanks - Pretty desperate as i purchased this beginning of the year and probably been able to use it for 12 hours..... Thanks.

Contact support (at) slimdevices.com or phone, see support page.