PDA

View Full Version : Weird Vista problem

bumpydog
2007-02-27, 14:56
Currently running Vista 32 bit Premium.
Downloaded Slimserver 6.5 and ran. Appeared to install ok and connect successfully to my player after configuring the firewall.

Now the wierd bit. Ever since I've installed the slimserver software my Vista Control Panel fails to open. A blank window simply appears and immediately disappears...! No amount of restarting the computer has any affect. The only thing that works is to uninstall slim server. I've tried this several times and the effect is the same each time. I've even done a complete reinstall of vista and as soon as I install slimserver the problem returns.

I know this sounds strange but its almost as if the slimserver s/w is corrupting something. Anyone seen anything similar ?

bumpydog
2007-03-01, 03:35
Thanks you all for your helpful replies ;o)

Looks like this is simply a Vista Bug, possibly related to ropey Nvidia drivers.

For anyone who has the same problem, take a look here:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&SiteID=17&PostID=1166022&PageID=0

jonheal
2007-03-01, 05:45
Thanks you all for your helpful replies ;o)
Hey Mr. Bumpydog, sir, maybe there ain't a whole lot of folks on the forum that have upgraded to Vista, yet.

haunyack
2007-03-01, 06:29
How helpful is that, mr. jonheal?
Recent photo?

bumpydog - welcome.
Don't mind the grumpy response from one of the forum regulars.
Feel free to post anyway.
Some of us don't live in these forums and it may take a day or two in order to recieve a proper response, so patience goes a long way here.

I am running 32bit Vista as well and have learned that the NVidia drivers (geforce 6800 ultra) do not play nice with my Creative x-fi (Pro Elite).
I am dealing with the dreaded bsod on boot.
So, until the culprit is found by NVidia, I am happy to continue on with WXP32.

"All about the music"...huh jon?

bumpydog
2007-03-01, 07:34
Hi haunyack - thanks for your reply.
Hope I didn't come across too grumpy there myself. I do appreciate that not many people have moved to Vista yet ( DON'T DO IT !), and people have other things to do in life apart from reading this forum.

Yes my Vista grumble list is getting bigger by the day.
So far it stands at:
BSOD on install of all NVidia Driver releases bar 100.30 for my 8800 GTX.
X-Fi trouble, although that is partially sorted now.
Creative Motion webcam - no Vista driver until Q4 2007.
The Control Panel issue already mentioned.
Windows Picture Gallery not displaying my pictures on occasion.

But hey, at least Vista is pretty... ;-)

jonheal
2007-03-01, 08:09
How helpful is that, mr. jonheal?
Recent photo?

bumpydog - welcome.
Don't mind the grumpy response from one of the forum regulars.
Feel free to post anyway.
Some of us don't live in these forums and it may take a day or two in order to recieve a proper response, so patience goes a long way here.

I am running 32bit Vista as well and have learned that the NVidia drivers (geforce 6800 ultra) do not play nice with my Creative x-fi (Pro Elite).
I am dealing with the dreaded bsod on boot.
So, until the culprit is found by NVidia, I am happy to continue on with WXP32.

"All about the music"...huh jon?

Honestly, I saw the emoticon as a scowl. Now that I look at it more closely, I see it's not, so please excuse my fart-facedness.

bumpydog
2007-03-01, 09:24
no problem Jon.
btw, hope you don't mind but I had a quick look at your home website in your sig. Really slick looking site ! I especially like the squeezebox status page. I've been meaning to get started on my own family website for a while and to have my own squeezebox status page would be a nice touch. - don't suppose you could let me know how easy it was to create that squeezebox page and how you went about doing it ?

kind regards.

jonheal
2007-03-01, 09:48
no problem Jon.
btw, hope you don't mind but I had a quick look at your home website in your sig. Really slick looking site ! I especially like the squeezebox status page. I've been meaning to get started on my own family website for a while and to have my own squeezebox status page would be a nice touch. - don't suppose you could let me know how easy it was to create that squeezebox page and how you went about doing it ?

kind regards.

Well, it's all very complicated ...

First, I'm on Windows, so all of the programming is VBScript, ASP, etc.

1. I use KDF's Execute Script plugin to run scripts on the Play, Stop, Power On and Power Off events.

2. When these events occur, small scripts are executed that tell Windows to run scheduled tasks. The scheduled tasks, in turn, exucute the scripts that actually update the web page. Initially, I was executing the update scripts directly, but I was getting some halting on the SqueezeBox's screen, so I decided to offload the process to the Task Scheduler.

3. The update scripts scrape the XML skin that Slimserver is constantly updating which contains informtaion about what's playing. The information is uploaded to our web site and the cover image is FTP'd, as well.

4. Several ASPs on our web site format and display the currently playing and recently played tracks.

Right now, it's off I suppose, since my wife rarely uses the Squeezebox, but it's more interesting to look at when something's actually playing.

Thanks for the compliments.

bumpydog
2007-03-01, 10:27
Thanks for the info Jon.
All sounds rather complicated but I think I may still give it a go. First I need to actually find the time to sit down and create this damn website, then add the squeezebox info page later. Never written any VBScript in my life. But I like a challange, and hey, how hard can it be ? !!!!!

Thanks again. Would you mind if I contacted you in a few weeks for some more low-level advice, and to beg for any pre-written scripts that you may have lying around ?

regards.

jonheal
2007-03-01, 10:38
Thanks for the info Jon.
All sounds rather complicated but I think I may still give it a go. First I need to actually find the time to sit down and create this damn website, then add the squeezebox info page later. Never written any VBScript in my life. But I like a challange, and hey, how hard can it be ? !!!!!

Thanks again. Would you mind if I contacted you in a few weeks for some more low-level advice, and to beg for any pre-written scripts that you may have lying around ?

regards.

I think there is a plug-in that does the same thing. I don't know if it is still supported or if it will work with whatever version of Slimserver you're using, but you can check the list of plugins on Slim's web site.

For myself, I am extremely arrogant and suffer terribly from Not Invented Here syndrome, so I wanted to do it myself. :-)

Sorry again that I misinterpreted your original message and responded like an arse.

haunyack
2007-03-01, 13:43
Honestly, I saw the emoticon as a scowl. Now that I look at it more closely, I see it's not, so please excuse my fart-facedness.

jon,
fart-facedness and arse-ness ... I'm not immune as well.

Shouldn't have jabbed you about your avatar, really is quite a darling photo.
Care to share the identity of that adorable child?

jonheal
2007-03-02, 03:33
jon,
fart-facedness and arse-ness ... I'm not immune as well.

Shouldn't have jabbed you about your avatar, really is quite a darling photo.
Care to share the identity of that adorable child?

Well, the child is not that adorable. It's me. :-)

ModelCitizen
2007-03-02, 08:41
Well, the child is not that adorable. It's me. :-)
You're very advanced for your age.
MC