View Full Version : flac on SB1

Marc Sherman
2007-02-26, 07:29
ShutterShock wrote:
> Just did my first slim server s/w upgrade in ages. I have an SB3 and
> everything is fine there. I also have an SB1, however, which no longer
> plays flac or ape files. In checking the Slim Devices Wiki, it
> indicates that slim server must do the transcoding for flac. I have
> flac checked off (the 'built-in' option) but still no luck on the SB1.

"built-in" means that it uses hardware FLAC decoding in the
SB2/3/Transporter. You need to use server-side FLAC decoding for an SB1.

- Marc

ShutterShock
2007-02-26, 07:29
Just did my first slim server s/w upgrade in ages. I have an SB3 and everything is fine there. I also have an SB1, however, which no longer plays flac or ape files. In checking the Slim Devices Wiki, it indicates that slim server must do the transcoding for flac. I have flac checked off (the 'built-in' option) but still no luck on the SB1.

Any advice?

Thanks.

ShutterShock
2007-02-26, 08:02
Thanks Marc,

So how does one select server decoding? From the File Format Conversion options list, it implies server side conversion will transcode to another file format such as WAV. Is this what I'm after?

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-26, 09:29
Keep both FLAC - FLAC (built-in) checked as well as FLAC - WAV. That way your SB3 will use its native FLAC decoder, meaning you get bandwidth savings as well as FF/REW capability, but your SB1 will get FLAC transcoded to WAV.

The SB1 hits the FLAC - FLAC (built-in) conversion, which it doesn't support, so it goes to the next one, FLAC - WAV, which should work.

If you had FLAC - MP3 checked and FLAC - WAV unchecked, it would transcode to MP3 with huge bandwidth savings but a possible loss in quality. If you kept FLAC - WAV checked it would use that first.

You have the same option for Monkey's Audio, either transcode to WAV losslessly with a bandwidth penalty or to MP3 in a lossy manner with bandwidth savings but possible quality loss.

ShutterShock
2007-02-26, 10:31
Files checked off as you suggested. SB3 is fine but the SB1 won't play flac files for some reason (MP3s are fine of course).

As for Monkey's Audio, I've checked off both flac format (mac/flac), along with wav (mac) and various combinations of checked and unchecked and now I can't get the files to play on either SB3 or SB1.

Any suggestions for either problem?

azinck3
2007-02-26, 10:34
Files checked off as you suggested. SB3 is fine but the SB1 won't play flac files for some reason (MP3s are fine of course).

As for Monkey's Audio, I've checked off both flac format (mac/flac), along with wav (mac) and various combinations of checked and unchecked and now I can't get the files to play on either SB3 or SB1.

Any suggestions for either problem?

Do you have bitrate limiting turned on for the SB1? If so, do you have lame installed?

And I'd start with ALL the boxes checked.

ShutterShock
2007-02-26, 10:47
Bit Rate Limiting on SB1 is off. (It's a very short run via ethernet to my router and slim server).

Don't have LAME encoder. Are you thinking that may be required to transcode the flac and ape files? Didn't use to be an issue be perhaps there are licensing issues since my last SS upgrade?

Also, as a last resort I did check all the boxes and SS is smart enough to un-check the ones it can't support (e.g.: those needing a LAME encoder).

Quick related comment... In SS, you can pull down the file format menu from 'server settings' and 'player settings'. I initially thought these were seperate files where the individual player files would override the server settings. It looks like I was wrong... It's all the same file. A bit confusing...

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-26, 11:07
Do you have a copy of flac.exe somewhere on your PC?

Also do you have a copy of lame.exe?

You may want to put these in your SlimServer\server folder or in Windows\system32.

ShutterShock
2007-02-26, 12:14
Have neither. Will d/l flac.exe later this afternoon. Alternatively, I'm pretty sure I can manually transcode the ape files to flac with dbPowerAmp. I don't have many ape files so no big effort there... That would solve the smaller of the two problems.

It's really tempting to replace the SB1 with a used SB2 or a new SB3. I've been holding off though with hopes Logitech/Slim Devices will be coming out with an 'SB4' with a color display. I guess that's a subject for a different post.