PDA

View Full Version : upgraded to new software, now no internet access

neocx
2007-02-25, 14:22
Hi Gang,

My slimserver and squeezeboxes have been working wonderfully for a long while now. Until today. I upgraded to the new version of the slimserver software and upgraded the firmware on both my squeezeboxes. Now, I can access my music collection but I have no access to the internet. I can no longer access internet radio and my RSS news tickers no longer work. One step forward, two steps back. Can anyone help? What's the point of an upgraded that removes service?

MrSinatra
2007-02-25, 14:25
what OS?

what ver of SS?

can ur SB get on SN?

neocx
2007-02-25, 14:34
what OS?
Windows XP

what ver of SS?
SlimServer 6.5.1

can ur SB get on SN?
No.

Everything was working fine. I log onto slimserver and it said a new version of the software was available. So, I downloaded and installed, and upgraded the firmware on the SB as requested. Now, no access to the outside world at all. I am sorry I upgraded.

MrSinatra
2007-02-25, 14:51
could be your firewall on either xp, your router, or both is blocking you.

it sounds to me like you can play files locally, which is a good sign if true.

its very odd the SB can't connect to SN.

one more thing to try is the newest nightly, 6.5.2

it might not solve your issue, but i think its better then 6.5.1 anyway. worth a shot at least.

neocx
2007-02-25, 15:18
No, neither XP nor the router are blocking me. They certainly weren't blocking me before I upgraded.

That's what I get for upgrading. Do you know if I can still download older versions of the software? Maybe I should revert back to the last working version

MrSinatra
2007-02-25, 15:29
older versions are available, not sure where. search the forums.

also, it could be that XP / your router had proper exceptions for the earlier install, but don't for the new one.

u could try hooking the SB directly to the cable modem, and see if it can get an IP and reach SN.

if so, the problem would likely be in the router or XP.

if not, it might be that u need a [user done] factory reset, (seems possible if its been a long time since upgrading) but since u have local playback, i would try that last.

vamythguy
2007-02-25, 16:33
On 2/25/07, MrSinatra <
MrSinatra.2ml0vz1172442601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> older versions are available, not sure where. search the forums.
>
> also, it could be that XP / your router had proper exceptions for the
> earlier install, but don't for the new one.
>
> u could try hooking the SB directly to the cable modem, and see if it
> can get an IP and reach SN.
>
> if so, the problem would likely be in the router or XP.
>
> if not, it might be that u need a [user done] factory reset, (seems
> possible if its been a long time since upgrading) but since u have
> local playback, i would try that last.
>
>
> --
> MrSinatra
>
> www.LION-Radio.org
> Using:
> Squeezebox2 w/SS 6.5.2 (beta!?) - Win XP Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> MrSinatra's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2336
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33091
>
>

peterw
2007-02-25, 17:01
No, neither XP nor the router are blocking me. They certainly weren't blocking me before I upgraded.

Some Windows firewall software grants access to specific .EXE programs, so I would not be surprised if upgrading software would suddenly trigger firewall problems.

Good luck.

neocx
2007-02-26, 06:30
Thanks for the suggestions. I knew it wasn't the XP firewall because I removed it and still had no access to the outside world. I also plugged in a spare router I had lying around that had no security enabled and still no luck.

What finally worked was completely uninstalling the SS software and then reinstalling the new version. So, I guess the rule is to uninstall old versions before installing new software. This is something that we should be warned about. I wasted hours trying to figure out what was wrong.

MrSinatra
2007-02-26, 11:29
thats probably what it was then, but it could be that uninstalling your firewall impacted the process, hard to say...

but yeah, it definitely seems as if installs with SD are not very smooth, esp if its been a while since the last one.

hopefully 7.0 irons out a lot of these kinks.