PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE...In absolute desperation.

Fiesta
2007-02-25, 07:25
Hi guys,

I have had my Squeezebox and QNAP TS-101 for 4 months now and I cannot get it to work.

How do I put music on my QNAP drive? I cannot see ANYWHERE where I can do this. I have asked QNAP and they have never replied to me.

I am desperate please can I have your help guys?

Many, many, many thanks,

Matt

coldslabs
2007-02-25, 09:30
I don't know anything about the TS-101, but here is the manual:
http://files.ieiworld.com/QNAPFiles/download/Storage/TS-101/M_TS-101_20060823_V1.2.1_ENG.pdf

Good luck.

zano65
2007-02-25, 09:34
Hi guys,

I have had my Squeezebox and QNAP TS-101 for 4 months now and I cannot get it to work.

How do I put music on my QNAP drive? I cannot see ANYWHERE where I can do this. I have asked QNAP and they have never replied to me.

I am desperate please can I have your help guys?

Many, many, many thanks,

Matt

Hello,
Please pardon me if i say things that are already known by you.
First your NAS must be part of a network including the PC where you rip your records, and you just drop your music files into the NAS just like in any other HDD.
Secondly, to use the Squeezebox you must have Slimserver running in the NAS or in the PC. I'm not using a NAS, only some PCs networked, so i don't know if Slimserver can be installed in your NAS (it can be on some), but i suppose you checked that before buying it; if not you must use your PC, the NAS being only an external HDD.
If it does not help you, give more informations about your system.
Best regards,
jean.

aubuti
2007-02-25, 09:39

The short answer is that you mount the QNAP as a network drive, and copy the files over from wherever they are at present (presumably somewhere else on your network). The long answer is in the manual, which is available via the link that coldslabs gave.

This is assuming that you have already ripped your CDs to computer files. If you still haven't done that step, then you should consult the Beginner's Guide on the Slim Devices wiki: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

Fiesta
2007-02-26, 12:29
I have now mounted my TS-101 and gained access to the Music Folder. When I copy my music files over into them i cant see them on my Squeeze Box. SO...i read on and saw that i had to tell the slim server software on my Mac to look in the music folder on my drive to rescan whenever I add new files in it.

I use /Volumes/SlimServer/music which is where my music folder is, but this doesnt work because I cant see them on my Squeeze Box still. All I can see is various trash like root, sbin, srv, sys and usr extc.

Any ideas guys? Manz thanks.

Matt

azinck3
2007-02-26, 14:38
I have now mounted my TS-101 and gained access to the Music Folder. When I copy my music files over into them i cant see them on my Squeeze Box. SO...i read on and saw that i had to tell the slim server software on my Mac to look in the music folder on my drive to rescan whenever I add new files in it.

I use /Volumes/SlimServer/music which is where my music folder is, but this doesnt work because I cant see them on my Squeeze Box still. All I can see is various trash like root, sbin, srv, sys and usr extc.

Any ideas guys? Manz thanks.

Matt

I suspect you may be running two copies of slimserver on your network simultaneously which could be leading to much of the confusion here. Are you running slimserver on the QNap? The TS-101 is one of several NASes capable of this and I suppose you may have purchased it for this reason. If you're running Slimserver on the qnap then you needn't install slimserver on the mac. Indeed, for simplicity's sake you should uninstall slimserver from the mac (or at least stop it from running so that you don't inadvertently let the SB connect to this copy of the server). Access slimserver on the qnap by going to http://qnapipaddress:9000 (replacing qnapipaddress with the actual ip address of the qnap, of course). From there you'll need to configure slimserver and point it at the location of your music files.

If I'm wrong and you don't want to run slimserver from the qnap just say so and we'll proceed troubleshooting from there.

adamslim
2007-02-27, 06:50
I suspect you may be running two copies of slimserver on your network simultaneously which could be leading to much of the confusion here. Are you running slimserver on the QNap? The TS-101 is one of several NASes capable of this and I suppose you may have purchased it for this reason. If you're running Slimserver on the qnap then you needn't install slimserver on the mac. Indeed, for simplicity's sake you should uninstall slimserver from the mac (or at least stop it from running so that you don't inadvertently let the SB connect to this copy of the server). Access slimserver on the qnap by going to http://qnapipaddress:9000 (replacing qnapipaddress with the actual ip address of the qnap, of course). From there you'll need to configure slimserver and point it at the location of your music files.

If I'm wrong and you don't want to run slimserver from the qnap just say so and we'll proceed troubleshooting from there.

I would say it might be simpler to run SlimServer on the Mac - that would avoid having to access the Qnap remotely from the Mac.

I think that the Qnaps do not normally come preconfigured with SlimServer, so unless you've put it on, it's probably not there. The easiest way to get the SB3 working would therefore be:
1 - install SlimServer on your Mac.
2 - get your Mac talking to your Qnap. Sounds like this is working now
3 - in the Mac web browser, go to http://localhost:9000 (I am assuming that Macs work similarly to PCs in this respect) to start configuring SlimServer

The main thing on configuring SS is telling it where the music is. Once you have done this, you should be able to browse your music very happily using the web browser. Until you can browse your music, it's not worth trying to get the SB3 started as the problem is before the SB3 even powers up!

The SB3 should normally find the SlimServer running on your network. If it doesn't, let us know and we'll help you to sort that issue. But this is only likely to start working once you can browse your files using the SlimServer browser interface.

Azinck's solution of running SS on the Qnap is actually a better solution than using the Mac, as it will allow you to use the SB3 without having the Mac switched on. I make my suggestion as it sounds like you want the easiest way of getting things up and running. We can fine tune later!

HTH

Adam

Fiesta
2007-02-27, 07:18
THANK YOU GUYS, i got it working off the QNAP. Excellent, many many thanks.

Only one problem now.

In order to run AlienBBC from the QNAP i have to have the QNAP set up as a Dynamic IP Address, which is annoying because then I cant find out what its address is in order to mount it on my Mac desktop so i can put my music onto it.

Any ideas, AlienBBC is essential as I live abroad.

Many thanks once again guys.

Matt

Pale Blue Ego
2007-02-27, 07:35
It might be possible to have your router always assign the same IP address to your QNAP.

azinck3
2007-02-27, 08:16
THANK YOU GUYS, i got it working off the QNAP. Excellent, many many thanks.

Only one problem now.

In order to run AlienBBC from the QNAP i have to have the QNAP set up as a Dynamic IP Address, which is annoying because then I cant find out what its address is in order to mount it on my Mac desktop so i can put my music onto it.

Any ideas, AlienBBC is essential as I live abroad.

Many thanks once again guys.

Matt

Great! So are you running slimserver on the mac or the QNap? According to this thread the QNap comes with alienbbc installed:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24517&highlight=alienbbc+qnap

I don't understand why you're under the impression that you must use a dynamic IP address for alienbbc to work. I use alienbbc and have never seen that requirement.

Even if you were to use a dynamic IP you could probably mount it to your mac via hostname rather than IP.