PDA

View Full Version : Slim Server Woes

Spidey9534
2007-02-24, 21:14
Is there a way to configure Slimserver to stream without an internet connection?

I'm running an SB3 wirelessly from a computer in my home office.

I get random loss of service events with my connection to Comcast, but my network is humming along just fine. When I get disconnected from the internet my Slimserver stops streaming to the SB3. I assume (alwaya dangerous) this is becuase the Slimserver 'requires' an active connection to the internet to function properly.

Can I configure it to run regardless of a connection to the internet? Am I way off base and it doesn't require an active connection to operate correctly. Is there another software that can stream to the SB3 without an active connection to the internet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Matt

jeffmeh
2007-02-24, 22:38
No, you should not need an internet connection for SlimServer to play files that are on your local network. Check your network settings to make sure the SB3 is on the same subnet as the SlimServer machine. Maybe someone else will chime in with other ideas.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-25, 09:59
Unless you're streaming Internet radio, it shouldn't be affected.

However maybe it's your modem or router that's disconnecting you, and maybe that's having an impact? Perhaps one of them has its DHCP server go down, and if it's the router, perhaps it's rebooting?

Spidey9534
2007-02-25, 15:22
Thanks for the responses.

I'm not streaming internet radio, just my CD collection stored on my PC in the office.

You guys got me to thinking though....

I am NOT using a static IP on the PC and when it gets disconnected from the internet it is polling to find another available wireless netowrk to hook up to. I live in a Condo building with at least 10+ networks nearby and at least 4 of those are not secured.

I suppose that is what might be happening to the connection? I get dropped by Comcast and then the PC hunts for another network to get internet connectivity even though I'm not interested in connecting to the internet, just maintaining my local wireless network connection and being able to stream to my SB3.

Can I effectively eliminate this hunting by setting a static IP for my PC to my router?

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-26, 06:47
You guys got me to thinking though....

I am NOT using a static IP on the PC and when it gets disconnected from the internet it is polling to find another available wireless netowrk to hook up to. I live in a Condo building with at least 10+ networks nearby and at least 4 of those are not secured.

I suppose that is what might be happening to the connection? I get dropped by Comcast and then the PC hunts for another network to get internet connectivity even though I'm not interested in connecting to the internet, just maintaining my local wireless network connection and being able to stream to my SB3.

Can I effectively eliminate this hunting by setting a static IP for my PC to my router?

Perhaps not. When you get disconnected from the Internet, you lose Internet access, sure, but you should still maintain wireless access with your router - unless it's the one that's actually failing, as I wondered.

Most wireless utilities can be told to limit "roaming" and only connect to one AP.

BTW - is your SlimServer wireless? This can cause its own set of problems.

Spidey9534
2007-02-26, 17:56
Yes,

It's wireless per my first post. I know this might not be the best option, but it is the most reasonable with my current physical layout having the PC that has my collection of music located approx 45' away from my main stereo.

I'm not sure about the router failing as I suspect that it might be the internet connection and thus the router is in roaming mode looking for a new net work to connect to,

Matt

SuperQ
2007-02-26, 20:17
Yes,

It's wireless per my first post. I know this might not be the best option, but it is the most reasonable with my current physical layout having the PC that has my collection of music located approx 45' away from my main stereo.

I'm not sure about the router failing as I suspect that it might be the internet connection and thus the router is in roaming mode looking for a new net work to connect to,

Matt

This sounds more like the router failing than your ISP failing. Does your cable modem indicate it's reconnecting when you have problems with the PC connecting to the internet?

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-27, 08:38
Yes,

Your SB is wireless, as is mine - that should work OK.

What I was asking is whether the SlimServer computer is also wireless.

? But it's your router that provides the connection to the Internet for your whole network. Do you mean to say you have wireless Internet? Short of very advanced WiMAX connections, this is exceedingly rare.

What does your network look like? See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign Do you have your modem wired to your router, or does your router get Internet access by some other means?

If the router loses Internet connection, it shouldn't do anything. However if a wireless client, like the SlimServer PC in your case, loses wireless connection then yes, it might go looking for another network.

maggior
2007-02-27, 08:40
Are you using any plugins (RSS ticker, weather, etc) or screen savers which require internet access. If so, perhaps disabling these would help.

Spidey9534
2007-02-27, 10:29
Sorry, you're quite right, I mistyped what I meant to say. It's NOT the router that is roaming, but my PC. DOH!

This sounds more like the router failing than your ISP failing. Does your cable modem indicate it's reconnecting when you have problems with the PC connecting to the internet?

Spidey9534
2007-02-27, 11:05
Your SB is wireless, as is mine - that should work OK.

What I was asking is whether the SlimServer computer is also wireless.

Ye, the PC is wireless too.

? But it's your router that provides the connection to the Internet for your whole network. Do you mean to say you have wireless Internet? Short of very advanced WiMAX connections, this is exceedingly rare.

No, the router is connected to a cable modem.

What does your network look like? See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign Do you have your modem wired to your router, or does your router get Internet access by some other means?

If the router loses Internet connection, it shouldn't do anything. However if a wireless client, like the SlimServer PC in your case, loses wireless connection then yes, it might go looking for another network.

Yes, basically I think that is exactly what is going on. I guess I'm looking for some help/tips on forcing the PC to stay connected to the router (static IP?).

Spidey9534
2007-02-27, 11:06
Are you using any plugins (RSS ticker, weather, etc) or screen savers which require internet access. If so, perhaps disabling these would help.

No, I don't think so. I haven't configured any plugins that I am aware of.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-27, 11:39
I guess I'm looking for some help/tips on forcing the PC to stay connected to the router (static IP?).

Check the wireless utility that came with the computer's wireless card. (BTW it's usually better to use this than Windows "Wireless Zero Configuration", although WZC improved considerably in SP2).

There should be a setting for "roaming aggressiveness". Set it as low as possible.

There may be other settings you can change, but this is the only one I see on my wireless laptop, using an Intel 2200BG wireless card (internal, built-in as part of the "Centrino" platform).

Setting a static IP will not help. The wireless utility isn't aware what IP has been set and will go out looking for another wireless AP regardless of the IP address the PC is using.

Spidey9534
2007-02-28, 18:30
Check the wireless utility that came with the computer's wireless card. (BTW it's usually better to use this than Windows "Wireless Zero Configuration", although WZC improved considerably in SP2).

There should be a setting for "roaming aggressiveness". Set it as low as possible.

There may be other settings you can change, but this is the only one I see on my wireless laptop, using an Intel 2200BG wireless card (internal, built-in as part of the "Centrino" platform).

Setting a static IP will not help. The wireless utility isn't aware what IP has been set and will go out looking for another wireless AP regardless of the IP address the PC is using.

Mark

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I am using the Linksys Network Monitor v1.0 utility that came with my card to manage my wireless connection. Unfortunately, I do not see any advanced settings to control how agressively my PC will roam for new internet connections?

The drag of it is that even though I'm using a newer MIMO router and wireless NIC in my PC the signal strength for my own netowrk is weaker than several neighboring ones in my Condo building. I can probably chalk that up to them sitting right beneath my home office where my PC is setup.

I'm going to probably breakdown and get a NAS of some type to put out connected directly to my SB3. <sigh>

MrSinatra
2007-02-28, 19:23
if ur brave, u can not elect to use the linksys software for the adapter, and use what XP has built in.

one caveat, if u use wep, u might have to enter the full hex code, not just the passcode.

Mark Lanctot
2007-03-01, 07:22
I am using the Linksys Network Monitor v1.0 utility that came with my card to manage my wireless connection. Unfortunately, I do not see any advanced settings to control how agressively my PC will roam for new internet connections?

Then you might want to try Windows WZC, as MrSinatra points out. It's usually not as good as a separate wireless utility, but in this case, it's worth a try.

The drag of it is that even though I'm using a newer MIMO router and wireless NIC in my PC the signal strength for my own netowrk is weaker than several neighboring ones in my Condo building. I can probably chalk that up to them sitting right beneath my home office where my PC is setup.

Ouch! With a 2-hop wireless arrangement you have that might be trouble.

All you need to do is wire one of them, preferably the SlimServer PC. How do you get your Internet? Cable or DSL? Is there a phone or cable outlet close to your SlimServer PC where you could relocate your modem and router? Or could you relocate your SlimServer PC closer to an outlet, not necessarily the one where the modem and router are presently located?

Even a longer phone cord or cable extension cord could give you some flexibility in relocating it, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a NAS.