Normalize playback volume in Slimserver?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmg_fan
    • Dec 2006

Is there a way to equalize/normalize the playback volume in slimserver so all your music plays at the same volume?
    This is especialy important when mixing songs from different albums
  • kdf
    NOT a Slim Devices Employee
    • Apr 2005

You can use a tool called Foober2000, which can add replaygain tags to
    your music. replaygain tags track the difference of each track from a
    normalised volume, and also a second value against the normalised album
    volume level.

-kdf

Comment

• mmg_fan
      • Dec 2006

what about us poor mac users

Comment

• Eric Seaberg
        • Oct 2006

WELCOME MAC USER!!! I have an app called iVolume found at http://www.mani.de/en/software/macosx/ivolume/. Shareware that does a GREAT job working with iTunes.

I rip all of my stuff Apple Lossless using iTunes, mainly because it's so easy to deal with the tags. I then open iVolume and have it set the volume based on ALBUM VOLUME... I'm in the mastering business and understand that a 'mastering engineer' will compensate from tune-to-tune to make that 'album' match in the 'feel' of the level. With iVolume looking at each album as a separate entity, then making the albums match, it sounds great when you shuffle or listen to an entire album.

Anyway, iVolume allows you to set the 'perceived' level based on your preferences. It works GREAT... again, I'm in the biz and love the way everything 'feels' playing in the background.
        Eric Seaberg - San Diego
        A.E.S., I.E.E.E., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
        [email protected]

Comment

• aubuti
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mmg_fan
          what about us poor mac users
          If your music is in FLAC format you can use Robin Bowes' excellent apply_replaygain.pl tool. It's a perl script, so it will work just fine on a Mac. You should be able to find it from www.robinbowes.com, or search the forum.
          Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
          Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
          Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
          Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
          Study: SB Radio
          Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
          LMS 8.3 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng, SB Controllers and Squeezepad

Comment

• wnshall
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by kdf
            You can use a tool called Foober2000, which can add replaygain tags to
            your music. replaygain tags track the difference of each track from a
            normalised volume, and also a second value against the normalised album
            volume level.

-kdf
            How does foobar determine the normalized album level? Does it consider the selection of files you operate on as one album, or does it look at tags to determine which files belong together? It seems to me that if it's the former, then you have to manually operate on all your albums, but if it's the later you can select (nearly) your whole library at one go. (OK, it occurs to me that I could probably test this out on a small set of files, but I don't have acces to my music files right now.)

I guess what I really want to know is can I reasonably easily have foobar apply replay gain to my whole library in a semi-automated way?

-Steve

Comment

• jeffmeh
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by wnshall
              How does foobar determine the normalized album level? Does it consider the selection of files you operate on as one album, or does it look at tags to determine which files belong together? It seems to me that if it's the former, then you have to manually operate on all your albums, but if it's the later you can select (nearly) your whole library at one go. (OK, it occurs to me that I could probably test this out on a small set of files, but I don't have acces to my music files right now.)

I guess what I really want to know is can I reasonably easily have foobar apply replay gain to my whole library in a semi-automated way?

-Steve
              Yes. If each album has its own folder, then you can point Foobar to a "parent" folder for the entire collection, and it will correctly apply both track and album gain. You can also have Foobar skip any album/tracks that already have the replaygain tags.

I do not have Foobar in front of me at the moment, but there is some option like, "treat folders as albums," that you will need to select. It is fairly obvious, if I remember correctly.

Comment

• Braidy
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Eric Seaberg
                WELCOME MAC USER!!! I have an app called iVolume found at http://www.mani.de/en/software/macosx/ivolume/. Shareware that does a GREAT job working with iTunes.

I rip all of my stuff Apple Lossless using iTunes, mainly because it's so easy to deal with the tags. I then open iVolume and have it set the volume based on ALBUM VOLUME...
                Eric - I've used iVolume for ages now and it does work brilliantly. I'm a complete beginner with Slim Server though and before I read your post I wasn't sure that iVolume was being recognised. I'm always adjusting the volume on the remote which I wasn't doing when my iPod was my music system.

I've also got Track Gain enabled in settings. Is there something I need to do for it to work better?

I've been ripping via iTunes to Lossless, putting it through iVolume and then sending it to Slimserver.

Comment

Working...