PDA

View Full Version : Players visible in remote location

dbls
2007-02-21, 13:28
When accessing my server over the internet, I'm surprised to find that my Squeezeboxen are accessible via the web interface. I figured that only the software player (e.g. Windows Media Player) on the machine in the remote location would be visible.

There's certainly no point (AFAICT) in being able to start or stop a device that can't be heard from where the listener is, and it just adds a layer of confusion when telling someone else to listen to something in my library.

Is there a way to tell SlimServer to omit players that aren't local, or to start the web UI with no player selected?

peter
2007-02-21, 13:37
dbls wrote:
> When accessing my server over the internet, I'm surprised to find that
> my Squeezeboxen are accessible via the web interface. I figured that
> only the software player (e.g. Windows Media Player) on the machine in
> the remote location would be visible.
>
> There's certainly no point (AFAICT) in being able to start or stop a
> device that can't be heard from where the listener is, and it just adds
> a layer of confusion when telling someone else to listen to something in
> my library.
>

Well, I very much appreciate that functionality myself. It would also be
rather hard for slimserver to guess which of the players I would want to
control when I'm behind my (wireless and thus mobile) laptop.

> Is there a way to tell SlimServer to omit players that aren't local, or
> to start the web UI with no player selected?
>

You can create bookmarks that lead you straight to the right player,
like this:

http://server.domain.nl:9000/index.html?player=00:04:20:06:6b:cc

Regards,
Peter

dbls
2007-02-21, 15:48
> It would also be rather hard for slimserver to guess which of the
> players I would want to control when I'm behind my (wireless and
> thus mobile) laptop.

I'm not talking about using a laptop as an overpowered remote for a Squeezebox
within listening range; I'm interested in playing some tracks from another house,
where there's no Squeezebox.

> You can create bookmarks that lead you straight to the right player,
> like this:
>
> http://server.domain.nl:9000/index.html?player=00:04:20:06:6b:cc

That's kind of the opposite of what I want. Perhaps this is beyond the ability
of Slimserver, but maybe it could (optionally) exclude physical players when the
web address requesting the page is not on the local network.

peter
2007-02-21, 15:53
dbls wrote:
>> It would also be rather hard for slimserver to guess which of the
>> players I would want to control when I'm behind my (wireless and
>> thus mobile) laptop.
>>
>
>
> I'm not talking about using a laptop as an overpowered remote for a
> Squeezebox
> within listening range; I'm interested in playing some tracks from
> another house,
> where there's no Squeezebox.
>
>
>
>> You can create bookmarks that lead you straight to the right player,
>>
>
>
>> like this:
>>
>> http://server.domain.nl:9000/index.html?player=00:04:20:06:6b:cc
>>
>
>
> That's kind of the opposite of what I want. Perhaps this is beyond the
> ability
> of Slimserver, but maybe it could (optionally) exclude physical players
> when the
> web address requesting the page is not on the local network.
>

A lot of extra complexity for so little gain.
I'd vote against it.

Regards,
Peter

AubreyCTurnerJr
2007-02-21, 19:50
This actually is something I'd been thinking about recently.

I have three Squeezeboxes (in my living room, bedroom, and office). I also have some friends who I've given my DynDns alias to so they can access the Slimserver. A while back I had a really weird problem pop up where when one of my friends would hit the Slimserver, it would turn on the SB2 in my bedroom and start playing from his playlist.

Now this was just mildly annoying, in that I'd end up going into the bedroom and see the VU meters on the display and wonder what the heck was happening until I figured it out. But if it had "stuck" to my living room player, which has an IR blaster and turns the stereo on when it comes on, I'd probably have jumped out of my skin when the player activated in the middle of the night.

It would probably be nice to have a user management module tied into a permissions module so that control could be assigned on a per-player and per-user basis.

I know I've also seen similar requests with regards to which players could play which songs (in that case someone had parts of their music collection that they didn't want their children accessing from the SB in their room).

I never did figure out why my friend's instance of iTunes sync'd with my bedroom player, though (there's no sync option for remote players). A wipe and reinstall caused the problem to go away.

JJZolx
2007-02-21, 21:11
It would probably be nice to have a user management module tied into a permissions module so that control could be assigned on a per-player and per-user basis.

I know I've also seen similar requests with regards to which players could play which songs (in that case someone had parts of their music collection that they didn't want their children accessing from the SB in their room).

SlimServer really has very little in the way of security for handling this type of outside access. The connecting user can play music on any of your Squeezeboxes as well as those of other connected users, and can even download music files from your server.

An adequate solution from a security standpoint goes way beyond just hiding players that aren't on the connecting browser's local subnet, so it's probably understandable that the developers might say "if you want to open up your server like that, then it's your choice" instead of implementing something half baked. Like you say, it requires things like user accounts, logins and permissions, plus much better client management options than now exist.