PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish Response

jezbo
2007-02-21, 10:14
I'm running SlimServer 6.5.1 on a QNAP TS-101 NAS drive. There's only a small music library at present, but still performance is sluggish - it streams music OK it's just slow to respond to instructions (from the remote, the web interface and via CLI commands).

Could I expect more responsiveness if I run SlimServer on the PC where I'm running the web interface from (and issuing CLI commands from)? The actual music files will still be on the NAS drive of course (I have no room for them on my PC!).

Or will this in fact be worse? I can try it of course, I just thought someone might save me some time.

snarlydwarf
2007-02-21, 10:36
It should almost certainly be faster.

Slow performance is going to be caused by some "resource" running low. Memory, CPU, Bandwidth, I/O speed, etc. It is possible in software to do things like "increase memory for more caching to cover up slow I/O" or "use CPU time to compress on the fly to reduce bandwidth demands," but eventually there are limits.

A PC has far more CPU and memory than a NAS box. The bandwidth should be the same and the I/O speed should be the same. Using the NAS box as just-a-NAS will decrease I/O speed. It is no longer just a local drive... but then, except when scanning, I/O speed on Slimserver is pretty much irrelevant (well, unless you run low on memory... then it has to swap which brings I/O back, but that is unlikely on a PC).

jezbo
2007-02-21, 10:49
Thanks. I'll give it a go, I was just concerned it would be the same or worse, since the whole music file has to make it's way from the NAS drive to the PC wirelessly at some point anyway. I just didn't know where the bottle-neck was. But as I said it was streaming the music OK.

snarlydwarf
2007-02-21, 11:02
Hrrm... you may want to look at the Server Health page and see if bandwidth is being a problem.

If your NAS is wirelessly connected, that could point to wireless problems. Can you wire it to your router?

Should take 30 seconds and eliminate that as the resource that is having problems.

jezbo
2007-02-22, 02:03
Where's the health page?

Anyway, I tried it and slimserver running on the PC is definitely more responsive than running on the NAS. This is no real problem for me since I want to control my music FROM a pc (via CLI hooked into my own program eventually) rather than from the remote with no pc on.

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-23, 16:30
Where's the health page?

SlimServer Help - Server & Network Health.

Enable Performance Monitoring - Performance Statistics.