PDA

View Full Version : Stream.mp3 for me and my co-worker

goinoutwest
2007-02-20, 14:42
We are both behind the same firewall with a single browse IP address. Therefore, we appear to be coming from the same IP when we open http://myserver:9000/stream.mp3. That only gives us a single "player" visible in the web interface. Is there a way for my coworker to see his own player as a separate instance?

Thanks,
Rob

peter
2007-02-20, 15:04
goinoutwest wrote:
> We are both behind the same firewall with a single browse IP address.
> Therefore, we appear to be coming from the same IP when we open
> http://myserver:9000/stream.mp3. That only gives us a single "player"
> visible in the web interface. Is there a way for my coworker to see
> his own player as a separate instance?
>

Perhaps you could fix that by using SoftSqueeze instead, I think that
generates a unique id for each player.

Regards,
Peter

goinoutwest
2007-02-21, 14:12
But I was hoping I could do this with just the stream.mp3.

Anybody else want to chime in? Is what I want impossible?

Thank you!
Rob

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-23, 08:09
Is what I want impossible?

Unfortunately, yes. SlimServer generates player IDs based on IP address. Since you both appear to be coming from the same IP address, it can't differentiate between you.

I thought a slight possibility would be that it may see you by MAC address, which is unique. It places the MAC address in slimserver.pref, which you can edit - you'd edit the name for ezch MAC address. However, when you're playing by stream.mp3 it does not identify by MAC address, only by IP. Case closed.

Looks like SoftSqueeze is the only way.

azinck3
2007-02-23, 08:22
But I was hoping I could do this with just the stream.mp3.

Anybody else want to chime in? Is what I want impossible?

Thank you!
Rob

Have you actually used stream.mp3 yet? It's an abysmal way to listen to music from slimserver. With the way the buffering works you can't really control what you're hearing. Any control inputs given to the web interface may take many minutes to manifest themselves at the player. The whole thing is just really fiddly. Softsqueeze is FAR superior (and super-easy to setup). Just click the "softsqueeze" link from bottom-left "help" section in your slimserver interface.