PDA

View Full Version : Is the Squeezbox two way?

djtopper
2007-02-20, 11:23
I'm looking for an audio solution that will let me broadcast audio from any stereo in my home TO any other stereo (N to N). My initial plan was to simply build three (I have three receivers) FM transmitters. But all the ones I've build have unacceptable noise when running off AC power.

I understand that the Squeezebox and server software will let me send audio from my computer to any stereo, provided each system has a Squeezebox attached.

What if I have a laptop at each stereo?

Thanks,

DT

SuperQ
2007-02-20, 11:40
I'm looking for an audio solution that will let me broadcast audio from any stereo in my home TO any other stereo (N to N). My initial plan was to simply build three (I have three receivers) FM transmitters. But all the ones I've build have unacceptable noise when running off AC power.

I understand that the Squeezebox and server software will let me send audio from my computer to any stereo, provided each system has a Squeezebox attached.

What if I have a laptop at each stereo?

Thanks,

DT

No, the squeezebox is a player only, not a recorder. I assume you want to do this because each stereo has a unique source device.

djtopper
2007-02-20, 11:44
Indeed, one system has my computer and some keyboards. Another has a 200 disk CD changer. Yet another has a CD/DVD player and a tapedeck.

Has anyone even heard of a device that will let me do what I'm trying to do?

Or ... if I consolodated all my music in one room ... could I stream CDs, DVDs and tapes through the slimserver software to all my Squeezeboxes?

Thanks,

DT

snarlydwarf
2007-02-20, 11:58
Indeed, one system has my computer and some keyboards. Another has a 200 disk CD changer. Yet another has a CD/DVD player and a tapedeck.

Well if you rip those CD's, you won't need a 200 disc changer...

No, it could be done with a lot of custom software, but I don't see why...

Or ... if I consolodated all my music in one room ... could I stream CDs, DVDs and tapes through the slimserver software to all my Squeezeboxes?

The SB doesnt do video streaming (DVD), and it won't stream audio direct from a CD or tape... but for CD's, tapes and DVD-Audio, I would just rip those (changing discs bores me...). Slimserver can send them just fine once ripped.

IMHO, this works quite well, especially since you can put the whole library on a system that is out of the way. You can be anywhere with network access and have access to your music.

bpa
2007-02-20, 12:05
This might do what you want
http://www.aceex.com.tw/L3PLA.html

Edit:
Second thoughts - it is only point to point and you want it to be selectable. Qulaity would also not be that good.

fuzzyT
2007-02-20, 12:30
djtopper wrote:

> What if I have a laptop at each stereo?

I'd have to agree that digitizing and centralizing should be your
immediate goal.

That being said, if you had a laptop running at each system node this
could be made to work. You'd wire a line out from each system to it's
laptop. Software on the laptop would sample this and make it available
as a stream. From a Squeezebox at any node you could tune in to any
other node's stream.

Silly in an overkill kind of way, but it could work.

If you wanted to simplify it a little, run SlimServer and the local
streamer on your computer + keyboard system (one less laptop) and
digitize the discs in your 200 CD player (another laptop not needed).
That would leave you only needed one laptop to stream from your DVD +
tape system.

But really, don't do this. Digitize what you wanna centralize.

[Chorus]
Digitize what you wanna centralize
No Jewelbox, Discs, No Sleeves and No Spines
[Repeat]

--rt

djtopper
2007-02-20, 13:28
Does the slimserver support streaming? Or ... does it support streaming via some other technology like rewire or other inter application audio?

Thanks,

DT

peter
2007-02-20, 13:38
Yes it supports streaming.
Incoming and outgoing.

Why don't you just install it and play with it. It's free.

Regards,
Peter

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:28:52 -0800, "djtopper"
<djtopper.2mblzz1172003401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> said:
>
> Does the slimserver support streaming? Or ... does it support streaming
> via some other technology like rewire or other inter application audio?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DT
>
>
> --
> djtopper
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> djtopper's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10298
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32928
>
>

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-20, 18:37
[Chorus]
No Jewelbox, Discs, No Sleeves and No Spines
[Repeat]

Interesting - Slim Devices finally gets a jingle AFTER they've been acquired by a multi-national. ;-)

peterw
2007-02-20, 19:58

Yes, you could. I have a patch cable going from my receiver's Tape Out analog output to the Line In jack on a sound card in my Slimserver host. On the Slimserver host I am running the free Icecast (http://www.icecast.org/) streaming music server software. I use the free IceS software (http://www.icecast.org/ices.php) to encode the music from Line In as Ogg Vorbis for the Icecast software. (Another popular encoding software option is DarkIce, http://darkice.tyrell.hu/, which can also encode MP3 streams.)

The Icecast software places almost no demand on my Slimserver host. That's not the case for IceS -- when my 2 GHz Athlon64 is running at full speed, IceS takes about 7-10% of the CPU capacity. Since my Slimserver host also runs my PVR, I've set up a menu on my PVR screens to start & stop IceS -- I have not yet bothered writing anything that would let me toggle IceS on/off from a Squeezebox. (I'm being pretty cautious about this -- I probably have enough CPU to spare, and the extra load probably is not enough to make my CPU throttling increase the CPU speed, and, therefore, power demands of the Slimserver/PVR host.)

This setup allows any of my Squeezeboxes to "tune in" to whatever's playing on my stereo -- a CD I haven't ripped, a tape, a vinyl record, or something I'm watching on my TV set.

SuperQ
2007-02-20, 23:54

Install EAC and slimserver, rip the changer to FLAC, and you'll never want to use a CD changer ever again. :)

As for the tapes, the other person who mentioned icecast has the right idea. I would use FLAC instead of ogg, would save you a lot of CPU power on the server.

Read this page:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToRipping

peterw
2007-02-21, 01:34
I'd love some encding scheme that was less demanding on the server, but didn't find readily available information about "live" FLAC streaming. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I did some testing tonight and found it interesting that the "obsolete" OSS interface (I'm running Linux) performs noticably better than the ALSA software interface. I also found a large difference between sampling at 48000 vs. 44100. OSS vs. ALSA was almost FM vs. AM, and 48000 vs. 44100 was like clean FM vs. significant multipath distortion. All this is with the same PCI sound card.

It's still second-rate sound. I've converted some vinyl to digital (WAV/MP3) by means of a dedicated CD-RW audio deck, and that deck produces much better sound. Perhaps a better sound card would help, or perhaps I'd really need an external USB audio adapter to get really good sound. But it gets the job done.

SuperQ
2007-02-21, 10:19
I'd love some encding scheme that was less demanding on the server, but didn't find readily available information about "live" FLAC streaming. Any pointers would be appreciated.

According to icecast.org, FLAC is supported by icecast 2.3.1.

What sound card do you have? You should not have any difference between OSS and ALSA, unless the drivers for the card suck. What linux distribution are you using?

peterw
2007-02-21, 12:10
According to icecast.org, FLAC is supported by icecast 2.3.1.

What sound card do you have? You should not have any difference between OSS and ALSA, unless the drivers for the card suck. What linux distribution are you using?

Icecast: I found some source clients that will convert FLAC to lossy formats like MP3 or Ogg Vorbis, but no clients that would feed FLAC streams to Icecast. And while it looks like the 'flac' command line app can output FLAC inside Ogg containers, I haven't found how to feed that to Icecast (to say nothing of whether SB2/SB3 can play Ogg FLAC in addition to native FLAC). IceS says its playlist input plugin is for Ogg Vorbis, but perhaps I could use a named pipe to have it stream Ogg FLAC to Icecast from flac (sox + flac?) -- I haven't tried that.

My sound card is a 7 year old Creative Ensoniq PCI card. I'm using an old version of Fedora Core -- old enough that I had to build new alsa-lib and alsa-utils packages to get past a "left channel only" capture bug in ALSA. Not being able to use ALSA is disappointing. I had hoped to have two streams: one from the stereo tape-out and one that would play whatever was coming out of the motherboard's sound card (so I could simulcast TV/DVD audio without having to route sound through my stereo receiver). I got the alsa plugin working with IceS with the motherboard line out sound, but it was terribly noisy. I got much better sound from the PCI card's line in, despite the PCI route involving additional D/A and A/D and passing through three patch cables and two external analog devices (TV, receiver). Some of my trouble was likely level/gain noise issues, but after my OSS/sampling tests with the PCI card, I bailed on the notion of using ALSA.

I might replace the sound card if I were confident that the new audio in would be good enough to archive old analog recordings, as that CD-RW deck certainly isn't very convenient.

SuperQ
2007-02-21, 17:57
Icecast:

Hrm, I suppose I could look into it this weekend.

My sound card is a 7 year old Creative Ensoniq PCI card.
I might replace the sound card if I were confident that the new audio in would be good enough to archive old analog recordings, as that CD-RW deck certainly isn't very convenient.

The ensoniq is a mediocre card, comparable to an onboard card. You didn't say how old, but I'm thinking you should try upgrading/re-installing with a more modern core OS. Either a new Fedora Core, or Ubuntu.

ALSA vs OSS shouldn't be an issue, I'm thinking there is something else in the system going on, either gain related, or noise related.

peterw
2007-02-21, 20:13
Hrm, I suppose I could look into it this weekend.

The ensoniq is a mediocre card, comparable to an onboard card. You didn't say how old, but I'm thinking you should try upgrading/re-installing with a more modern core OS.

I'd be grateful if you found anything about FLAC streaming.

Yes, I ought to upgrade. It is an old Fedora Core install, chosen largely because the documentation for MythTV on Fedora was so good. I intend to move to Ubuntu when I have a free day to deal with all the video capture, LVM, and other issues tied to reinstalling the OS.

Nonreality
2008-07-02, 22:25
Install EAC and slimserver, rip the changer to FLAC, and you'll never want to use a CD changer ever again. :)

As for the tapes, the other person who mentioned icecast has the right idea. I would use FLAC instead of ogg, would save you a lot of CPU power on the server.

Read this page:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToRippingIf you doing a lot of ripping go with dbpoweramp instead of EAC. The new version is just so much better at tagging it will shorten your ripping by quite a bit and you'll get better tags. The other thing about ripping to flac is that you'll never have to re rip. It's lossless and you can convert if something you like better comes along that requires a different codec. And with dbpoweramp you already have a converter that will be able to convert all your music.