PDA

View Full Version : alienbbc: how do I get it for Mac 10.4.8?

whitman
2007-02-20, 11:08
Bpa and danco were very helpful recently when I needed to get alienbbc up and running on my Apple Powerbook running 10.3.9. Now I've got a new iMac running 10.4.8 and want alienbbc on that too. Is there a pre-packed version of alien I can install for 10.4.8, or do I have to 'build' it as I did (or rather was talked through) for 10.3.9? I'm hoping the former, obviously.

bpa
2007-02-20, 13:16
AlienBBC install is as per the instruction - the fiddly bit is with mplayer. A suitable prebuilt mplayer can be got from the mplayer sites ( http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html ). Mplayer for OSX is bundled with a GUI which is the "mplayer" which is seen when you install this dmg. You need to get at the command line maplyer which is buried down a few levels. Danco posted this advice about the mplayer from mplayerhq.

As I remarked earlier, the actual mplayer file is deeply hidden inside MPlayer OSX.

Control-click to Show Package Contents.

Go to Contents > Resources > External_Binaries, and you will see an item called mplayer.

This still isn't what we want.

Control-click again and once more Show Package Contents. Contents contains a folder called MacOS, which in turn contains two Unix files, mplayer and mplayer_noaltivec.

A couple of minutes check with mplayer shows that it works for AlienBBC on my PowerBook G4 (unless problems arise with a longer check). Older machines don't have altivec (not sure if Intel ones do), so presumably would need to use mplayer_noaltivec, but would need to rename it to mplayer to get it to work with AlienBBC.

whitman
2007-02-21, 02:50
Thanks bpa. Yes, I meant mplayer. I should also have said that I'm running 10.4.8 on an Intel Mac. So what precisely should I look for and where?

bpa
2007-02-21, 03:07
Download the following which is the MplayerOSX - AFAIK it is universal
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/MPlayerOSX_1.0rc1.dmg

I'm not sure about the next step - whether you examine the DMG or install it so you can follow Danco's advice to get the right mplayer executable.

If you're really stuck - I can extract the right executable on my Linux systems but it's been a few months and I can't remember the details offhand.

whitman
2007-02-21, 06:58
Thanks bpa; I've downloaded mplayer from the place you suggest. But the contents don't reflect danco's instructions: there is no External_Binaries folder. How should I proceed?

bpa
2007-02-21, 09:19
I found my notes and extracted what I think is the right mplaye files from the dmg - you could do the same using the path below.
./MPlayer OSX.app/Contents/Resources/External_Binaries/mplayer_intel.app/Contents/MacOS/mplayer

The intel mplayer app zipped is saved here.
http://homepage.eircom.net/~altondsl/slim/mplayerosxrc1intel.ZIP

For those interested in incantations - how to get a file from an Apple OSX DMG file on a Linux system.

1. Convert dmg to iso image file - find dmgextractor using Google.
java -jar dmgextractor.jar

2. Mount ISO image as a file system (mplayerosx.iso is the file name from step 1 and /media/Apple is a convenient mount point)
mount -o loop -t hfsplus mplayerosx.iso /media/Apple

3. Extract the files from the appropriate Archive using pax
pax -rzvf Archive.pax.gz

danco
2007-02-21, 09:48
So things may have changed from the time I made my instructions.

But essentially just follow my procedure, but look through the various folders till you find the suitable items. The crucial point is that the MPlayer OS X application is a package, so you have to Show Package Contents (via control-click) to see what is inside it. And the last time I tried, when you find mplayer in one of the folders it is itself a package and you have to show package contents again to get the Unix mplayer version that you need.

But you say you downloaded mplayer. Possibly mplayer now exists on the site,and it may actually be the Unix program. It used to be that you could only get MPlayer OS X, which is a GUI wrapper for the Unix program.

whitman
2007-02-21, 10:34
Thank you bpa and danco. Sorry; I'm confused now. That zipped intel mplayer you mention, bpa: I've downloaded that. Is it all I need?

bpa
2007-02-21, 10:58
AFAICT it's all you need. Just download the zipped file, unzip it - it has just one file "mplayer" and then install mplayer in the right folder probably /usr/local/bin with the correct permissions and ownership.

I basically followed Danco's advice except on a Linux system - I went through the dmg file until I found what looked like a likely mplayer app for Intel.

whitman
2007-02-21, 11:42
Excellent, bpa. That was indeed the correct file, and I'm up and running: cup of tea in hand and News Quiz playing. Thank you!